Sparring gear

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by armanox, Mar 17, 2015.

1. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Okay people! Equipment question for you all:

I am considering attempting to spar in tournament (not until the end of April). This will be my first time in tournament since I broke my leg/ankle, and I'm looking at trying out some new foot equipment since I can't take too many shots to the lower leg/ankle area without extreme pain. Tournament rules say that foot gear must be foam dipped and cover the toes (so your standard foot thing that I really don't like is what it's pointing at). Any one have any opinions on gear that would guard that area and still allow me to wear the foot gear the rules call for? OR does anyone know any gear that meets the rules AND covers the shin/ankle (since all the gear that I see that covers that area does not extend to the toes)?

It's point sparring, if that makes any difference, which I'm not a big fan of either, but I kinda have an itch to compete in sparring again....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Looking at my foot gear (which I haven't worn for quite some time) it looks like I might be okay if I add in shin protection. Still welcoming ideas though.

Also, I forgot how much the foam dipped gear sucks....

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's pretty much all the same muck unfortunately. I've never found any which I could say stood above the rest. I'd say just get a cheap pair, put shoelaces through the holes and tie them so they actually stay on, and save your money for something better.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The Top Ten kit is good quality, not dipped foam, but nor is it cheap.

Mitch