Sparring and Sideways Avoidance

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Freeform, Nov 19, 2002.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

at my dojo we do both : block gouter and run away, get out of range or a good one called dei (dee-i) eg guya and guyb, guya attacks guyb instead of blocking moves in on guya and attackes aswell.

2. Sankukai

Sankukai New Member

Sideways avoidance...

The style of karate I study (sankukai) places a lot of emphasis on movements into or away from an attack by (very) delayed steps away at an angle from the direction of attack.

Karateka in opposite stance - attack with right [in this instance]
    • Attacker steps in and punches to head,
    • Defender mustn't pre-empt attack, moves very late to his left at an angle to the attack and uses shuto to deflect incoming punch. (NB I don't say block as the move outside of the punch means that shuto takes little or no force to deflect the punch) Now the attacker is wide open for a variety of counters ;)
    We also do a variation on this where both guys are in same stance, but this time the defender moves forward and inside (rather than outside) the punch and simply punches to attackers head with lead hand.

Cheers
    S

3. heiwa

heiwa Valued Member

In the style which i practice which comes under Karate-do as its not strictly Karate but has some of its origins in karate we always move/escape to the side.

This is drilled into students from when the 1st step into the dojo.

Our competition system of combat is also different from most other styles in that points can only be scored from defending. emphasising the defensive aspects of the martial art.
    While in competition there are only 3 forms of attack tsuki, maigeri and mawahigeri there are over 200 defences available against these attacks. In the competition each person attacks the other 7 times using the above attacks meaning each defends 7 times allowing them to score pointsby defending. to make things more understandable if the attacker does not attack with conviction then they can be peanalised.

Again we always move to the side, as its far easier, quicker and offers more security.
    After all if you are standing on the road and a bus is coming you move to the side and out the way you do not move back and block.

Just my thoughts
    stuart

4. Sankukai

Sankukai New Member

Hey Stuart !!
    Scott

5. heiwa

heiwa Valued Member

Hi Scott

How are things?

Stuart

6. Sankukai

Sankukai New Member

Eeeessh....not great. Had this cr@ppy flu/cold thing for the last week so haven't been able to train and with a grading coming up am not in the best of spirits ! Still...no use complaining - might train Saturday & grade on the Sunday this week see how I'm feeling ?! How things yerself ?

Cheers
    S

7. heiwa

heiwa Valued Member

I am fine Scott

Have been doing some dreaded night shift this week so my body clock is all to pot, other than that I cant complain.

Good luck with your grading.

Ossu
    Stuart

8. Sankukai

Sankukai New Member

Urk...bummer.
    Thanks Stuart.
    Cheers
    S

9. RobA

RobA New Member

hehe this is my downfall in class...
    My sensei is constantly telling me, "move your target"
    mostly when we do the alley..
    the alley for those that don't know is this
    the class lines up in two parallel lines and each student
    takes a turn walking down the center from one end
    to the other.. as the student passes you can either
    punch, kick or stand there...

I have a tendency to go head on with my blocks , rather than moving
    off to one side or the other ( moving my target ).. I am working to improve
    this and like all things just takes practice

10. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

we get taught sometimes to step to the side and roundhouse kick or hook kick, or step to the side to get out of the way.

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

We do a lot of tai-sabaki!
    Goyon Kumite and the one-steps...
    Were you there on the course when sensei Perry spoke about shopping in Richmond?

12. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

lol, nope, only the adults and people dan grading were, but im sure it was quite intresting

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Basically he said that tai sabaki is just like when you're out shopping, and you're going to bump into somebody, so you both just step off line to avoid each other, and then carry on. (The point was that it doesn't have to be a huge exaggerated leap sideways.)

14. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hmmm.... makes sense though

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

At least when I fought, you had a box only about 10ftx10ft or tehreabouts, proper sidewalks movement is rather tricky when you have so little area to move to

16. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Think I read somewhere that one of funakoshis favouriute past times was to go to the corwded high street and use tai sabaki to avoid the crowd.

I say sod that if they don't move they get walked into!!!! Ignorant so and so's :rolleyes:

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

:D that wacky Funakoshi!

He's such a cheeky chappy!

18. sonny boy

sonny boy New Member

i agree that there is hardly any use being used in moving to the side i personally like to move to the side quickly with a long stride and go for a strike to the head or anywhere leggaly open on the side it works for me 80% of the time. sonny