Sparring and Sideways Avoidance

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Freeform, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh lol CKD i was writing the same thing which u said just added "Never" i didn't meant there...even that's why i put Hsing guys as a example...if u read my third line
    "personally i don't think that high stances r unstable..."
    -TkdWarrior-

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Hmm...

Guess I;ve been hallucinating a lot in class then...

Or do you just mean point karate competitions? If so then it is simply because of the rules and the scorring

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

One class is not representative of the whole. Your style sounds fairly reasonable, there are others out there though.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I was originally intending competition, but we could have a look at 'proper scrapping' as well if you want.

Does bobbing and weaving work against linear strikes? Especially gyaku tsuki?

Like you would have slapped me when I was their anyway! I've let my coursework pile up and my training is suffering. PANTS!!!!

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Don't know about gyaku tsuki (what is that anyway) but it definitely works against linear strikes, very effectively in fact.

6. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

Think Freeform means Gyaku Zuki (reverse bunch) he's always using wierd and wonderful names for basic techniques.

bobbing does work against linear strikes, especially if your opponent is as slow as Freeform at punching! Besides the best way to avoid these techniques is to use the ancient technique of slide back a bit, unless you enjoy getting hit all the time.

:woo: NAH, I would of used my trademark 'Gyak from hell' anyways!:D

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

nope tsuki is correct, and it means thrust. tsuki is used to describe weapons thrusts as well, it doesn't just mean punch.

But why not by clear and just call it a straight punch of the back leg?

and slipping, bobbing, weaving seem to work fairly well for boxers, who include linear strikes.

There are other options, but not being their is always a good one.

Head avoidances won't work well in a non-contact environment. If the punch isn't actually going to hit you, moving just enough for it to miss you is pointless.

Judges would also have a hard time with closs misses, would it have hit or not? can't really be sure unless it was meant to hit, not to almost hit. best to block rather then risk getting scored on even when you did avoid it.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Does it really matter if its tsuki or zuki, given that the spelling is phonetic anyway and doesn't translate into our alphabet?

Absence of body is better than presence of mind.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Or Suki in fact! Seen all three, its these Wado guys, they don't known the difference between Oi tsuki and Jun zuki :p

So are we of the consensus that bobbing and weaving would be virtually pointless in a point scoring environment?

Does anyone feel that their 'real' MA training is suffering because of the prominence of competition?

Colin

10. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

You've seen the reaction of the competition fighters in our club when you slightly touch them during sparring, they're the biggest bunch of crybabies you will ever meet. We are after all training in MARTIAL arts - i.e. Martial - for war/combat. There should be a real aspect in everybodies training but few clubs favour this because unlike in competitions there is a real risk of injury.

ps. Freeform, Shotokan is the Macdonalds of the Karate world - Its everywhere, it's good for a quick fix but is ultimately bad for you!;)

Ha Hah, Dove beats Tiger

11. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Back when I was at University, I was fortunate enough to be coached by Wayne Otto (he was at the University at the time, as well as being World Karate champ!)

A major part of the training he used in his weekly Kumite sessions (it comprised the first part of EVERY session) was designed to build ability in dodging/footwork, and we really reaped the benefits in terms of improvement in our Kumite!

Wayne himself, when fighting or demoing techniques, would dodge his whole body quickly from side to side as he came in to attack. The result: you had little idea which direction his punch would eventually come from, which made the tactic VERY difficult to defend against!

12. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

I find it hard to understand why someone would leave their school/club just because they were not learning about side stepping.

Tai Sabaki should have been taught and karate has what you are looking for. It does have side, forward, circular, reverse, angles, and so on.

I do agree that some schools of karate as well as other art forms are very straight when attacking in competition but that does not mean that they are like that ale the time. The next time you watch a knockdown karate competition, ie. Kyokushin, as well as the K1 Grand Prix. Have a good look at the many different ways the fighter will move....Learning to move with and around your apponent is just as important as learning to hit him or her.

Osu.

Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

NB.
    make a point to partaking in one of Ticky Donovan's courses or his Summer School, you will be amazed at what the body can do and how timing and stance work really does work.

13. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

So......while on the topic, can one of you actually give tips on side stepping?
    My teacher tells us about it all the time, but when i cant side step he gets ****ed off.

Advise?

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Try slipping a jab or a cross by sliding your back foot over, and twisting your body round for starters. As this is a beginning level, just finish it off with a jab
    and watch his little face light up :love:

15. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

sidestepping is very good, but for some people, its hard to do effectively. i for one, have a hard time with it. i sometimes sidestep a move that i'm parrying, but generally, its much easier for me to come straight in to an opponent's attack. and although this sometimes requires some sidestepping (mainly if the opponent is fighting from the side), it doesn't generally require as much agility as flat out dodging an attack.

16. Mawa

Mawa New Member

In my style, Ashihara Karate, we try to avoid straight lines! We don't wanna meet the opponent head-on, because then, logically, the strongest person will win the clash. Instead we wanna circle around him, to his side or back, where he has more difficult to hit you while you get's it easier to hit him.
    If you go against him head-on, then it's a 50-50 situation. You both have your weapons against each other and that way you have the same possibilities. Through moving around him, you get more advantage while he gets less!

regards
    - Marcus Wallén
    Ashihara Karate Sabaki-Do
    Sweden

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Ideally you want to move up onto his blind side - the left part of his back, assuming he's an orthodox fighter and facing half towards you.

18. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

I'm sorry, KE, but my brain (and body) is having a hard time picturing this; can you restate it plz?

I even tried it standing up and it seems the counter-jab would come from a very akward angle. . .

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds feasible. As with any defence it's a mistake to do it too often - I can see you eating left hook if you do that once too often :D

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's the idea!