Sparring A Girl

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by paulbrec, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No they don't, but that's besides the point.

Yes they do - there are limits on freedom of speech in all countries.

No it isn't. This is a private forum, just like going to a coffee shop or a bar. You can be kicked out if the owner (or their appointed representative) decide to do so, and your freedom of speech is not protected in any way whatsoever. I've never understood where this misconception that you have freedom of speech on a privately owned forum comes from.

Because I enjoy the thankless task of trying to challenge ignorance at every opportunity. Plus I get bored very easily.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Because that's the way reading works.
    I don't know I won't like something you've said until I've read it. By which time it's too late. Because I've read it. And as this is a discussion forum I'm then going to comment on it if it espouses a view i think should die out. That's how we get outdated views to die out. By picking up on them when they rear their ugly heads.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ah, but a community is a collection of individuals, ergo, those individuals and their contributions form said community. if an individual joins, and professes a point of view that runs counter to the community's current zeitgeist, the other members of their community will react, because it reflects on the community at large. and since we WANT newcomers to the forum, we react badly to things which could reflect badly on us, such as individuals expressing sexist opinions regarding training (which at large also reflect badly upon martial arts itself as regarding women, and we also want more women to start doing martial arts and other physical training such as weight lifting).

additionally, as was said, you expressed an opinion that holds no logical value whatsoever except as related to your own perceptions, making it for all intents and purposes wrong, as well as offensive to other members.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Now you know, so stop reading, and move on.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

How about you stop laying down demands regarding who can and can't post in this thread. Thank you.

6. ninjaboj

ninjaboj Banned Banned

Hi men and women equally ;-) I would just like to contribute to this conversation as someone who has been in fights outside the ring with both genders and lived to tell the tale. Someone on here said that fighting a weaker male (or one with a chronic breathing disability) should change the level playing ground a bit, only it doesn't at all when things go wrong. Well let's see how long this little message lasts before the wolves rip it to shreds again!!

Mod warning:

Masked profanity is against the ToS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope. :)

Other than being slightly confusing in terms of sentence structure (and the masked curse which'll be taken out by a mod soon, I'm sure) I can't see any reason that people would rip your post to shreds this time.

8. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Oh, great now the moderators are involved.
    I really hate to say, this started out as a fun tread, that I though we could joke about, but some of you are taking this way too seriously.
    We need to not be so stressed, and relax and not take other people's opinions so seriously. I have never directly attacked someone. That is different.
    Since you people can't have any fun, I am unsubscribing from this thread, and I am not going to bother with it any more.
    I am getting annoyed, and I am risking getting a wrist-slap by the mods, which I don't need.
    I am apologizing to the moderators right now. My intentions we to have a bit of fun and create an intelligent discussion, which obviously can not be done here.
    I'm sorry.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope - I don't think at any point it was a 'fun tread', or thread for that matter.

I don't believe anyone's stressed at all. Generally you can tell someone's stressed in a forum from their 'I'm leaving forever' whining.

Speak of the devil.

Again - I suspect you're the only one stressed here as your prejudices are being challenged. This is often difficult.

Intelligent discussion isn't a problem in the slightest. Unfortunately your standards for intelligent discussion are evidently different from everyone else's.

Have fun now.

10. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Stop whining. You're not a victim here. You posted sexism and you got called out for...gasp...sexism.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sorry, that fact that you think that sexism and discrimination is a topic for 'fun' means to me all the criticism you've gotten in this thread is justified. You need to rethink your outlook on life and what you think is an appropriate topic to joke about. Some of us have been at the receiving end of attitudes like yours far too many times for us to consider it 'fun'.

As far as I can see there has been plenty of intelligent discussion in this thread. Just because you don't agree with it (or that most of it disagrees with you) does not invalidate what has been said.

You'll only get a wrist slap from the mods if you breach the ToS or try to lay down the rules on posting.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As a general rule I don't ever believe this when people say it.
    I bet they always come back for another look. It's human nature.

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Of course - I doubt any of the followup posts would have gone up if it weren't.

Although I suspect this thread is going to be locked shortly, can't think of any way it can produce anything of value from here on out other than some light banter.

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You can't make us :p

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Well, now you know what happens to trolls here on MAP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  16. daggers

daggers Valued Member

you have an opinion, but theres so many people taking the moral high ground here, like saints! tho i bet the amount of time spent on internet sites by some of the people who seem to live on MAP will be into some pretty unethical and moraly questionable stuff themselfs (you know who you are, dirty boys! ;) so come down off your high horses and get some perspective. hes new to the fight game, not everyones used to seeing women fighting! isnt a big deal. guidence is what hes after, to understand!!

i understand where you are coming from with the sparring thing with a girl, however.. see it from her point of view, she has had to be much braver and stronger that you to even walk into the gym in the first place!
    who can she get better with if no-one wants to spar with her?, she feels like you do right now on this forum,only she hasnt done or said anything to alienate herself, just by being a girl!
    you are a team and one day your gonna spar with a champion fighter to improve yourself.. what if he thought the same?.."he aint as good as me, why should i spar him?"
    happily spar her and help her, cos one day your gonna want the same off some one bigger and better than you
    all the best dude

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Since I was one of the first ones to pick up on your thread I will give my opinion on the above.

We are taking it seriously because it seemed to us that you had a sexist attitude. Now if that is not the case then you perhaps should have worded your post differently. Either that or not got so agitated when you received the replies you did.

Who said we are stressed I've not read that anywhere, so now who is making assumptions?

As there were no signs of a joke in your first post, and I expect that you wanted some sort of praise, we of course took it seriously.

Any wrist slapping you get will be of your own doing. No MODS are on your case, other than those of us disagreeing with your views.

Intelligent discussion is what MAP is supposed to be about, unfortunately many of the views expressed will be totally different from your own. Nothing wrong with that, it is how we learn and grow.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. I would not let it get to you. We disagree, so what.

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No, no, I never take the moral high ground. I'd have to go too far uphill. I just despise people with rightwing/sexist/discriminatory views because of their narrow mindedness, and enjoy tormenting them.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just because I like kicking people when they're down, on the point about whether or not MAP is allowed to hinder "freedom of speech"

I think from the reaction to this thread its fair to say posting sexism fits in there and (if you're reading this Paulbrec which I think you are despite your claims otherwise) since we all agreed to the TOS when we signed up you agreed to have your right to free speech limited on these boards. And this is why people shuld read things before they sign them :)

Also, boo at whoever changed the TOS. There used to be a bit saying homophobia, sexism etc. were banned.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

1.7 Threats, Racism & Sexism:
    Threads or replies promoting or expressing intolerant views towards any group (race, religion, sexual preference, interracial couples, etc.) will not be tolerated. Consider this the only warning. Violators will be banned.

Maybe as well as quoting the TOS to others, going back for a re-read would be a good idea.

Back on topic now please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.