Sparing

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fergie Boy, Feb 14, 2003.

1. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Well we all know sparring isn't to everyone tastes.

Some fight for points, which true may not be all that practical for the streets. Some don't like sparring because they may get hurt.
    Again a valid point, not everyone is that inot pain.

But if you spar full contact minimum rules, it is very much like a street fight. Okay you wont die, but you are getting hurt, cut and put in a bad position. So what part of that isn't like a brawl?

There are many types of saprring and I think your generalising to much on your own or your friends experiences. People who spar also drill techniques on the pads, so were doing both sides of the coin. You do one.

If you put me in a room with two people, one who had 10 years of training in a street fighting, but had never sparred or fought before. The other 10 years training in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu (both sparring arts) and ask me to fight one, I know who I'd rather fight.

Each to their own as they say, do what ever you feel will best prepare your for the street.

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

"If you put me in a room with two people, one who had 10 years of training in a street fighting, but had never sparred or fought before. The other 10 years training in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu (both sparring arts) and ask me to fight one, I know who I'd rather fight."

Hi Bob

Who would u rather Fight?

3. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

:D doh I was hoping no one would ask that and then errupt into a huge argument.

Well this is just my blinkered opinion from my biased view not taking into account lots of other factors.............

The street fighting one

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd second that!

5. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Oh dear pgm316 I think we may well have to run for cover now.

hopefully not though ;)

It is just our opion and not worth getting to hot under the collar about :D :D

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

come to think of it... i'll fight street fighter too :D
    MT is damn hard...
    -TkdWarrior-

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Initially I thought streetfighter. Then I thought if I knew they were trained in a particular style I could use that against them. A streetfighter may have a brutal varied style and they could have the endurance of a kenyan long distance runner.

This could be a can of worms, I think I'll sit on the fence till I give it more thought.

"Thump" John falls off fence

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

can of worms??
    hey Doc let's go fishing... it would be Fun...
    -TkdWarrior-

9. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Hugely true johndoch but this is a street fighter who's never sparred.

One who's sparred and learnt what you do from sparring would probably be a different story all together.

:D

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

even then i guess our Typical MT fighter will hit more harder than anyone... :D
    -TkdWarrior-

11. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

;) yeah I think a good thai/bjj guy would take alot of beating :d

but don't tell anyone I said that ;)

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think what Spongebob is calling a "Streetfighter" is being mistunderstood here. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that he's talking about a "Martial arts for the street" stylist rather than a guy who doesn't do martial arts but just fights on the street.

You know the ones, "our art is too deadly to spar" -- "MT and BJJ are just sports" -- "I'd just stick my thumb in your eye" - you know, the one's who have not only missed the boat but have turned up at the wrong harbour :D

13. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Yes your not wrong.

I did say a street fighting style guy who had never sparred or fought (how your a street fighter then I don't know, hmmmmm I'm a little dumb). In otherwords had no practical experience of fighting real terms.

Ah I'm safe now I have Yoda to sheild me with the force.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! But, beware of the dark side :yeleyes:

Yikes! Yoda, it was just a joke, oh brother please don't hurt me :(

|Cain|

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I would have to agree then, I would go for the streetfighting "stylist" as being the easier choice. You cant deny that the JJ or MT would know how to mix it up. However I would be wary of dirty fighting tactics but whos to say that the MT or BJJ/JJ guy wont fight dirty.

16. YODA

........ Well, from THIS "just sport" guy you can count on it :D

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

So really, we're just putting are money on the guy that does the sparring. And rightly so!

People have pointed out the negatives to sparring, some of which I won't disagree with. Sparring isn't the one tool to make you the good fighter, only one of them :)

18. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think the sparring element allows us to see the short comings of our art and allows us as artists to modify and add techniques that can be used on the street. If you dont spar your technique how can u understand how it is used in a live environment?

19. YODA

Martial arts without sparring is like owning a pair of binoculars in case you ever need them - but never bothering to find out that you need to take the lens cap off :D

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Good analogy! :D

In many cases, its not the quality of the technique, its the balls to do it, rather than pee your pants!