Spanish Influence on FMAs

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Martial novice, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Mananandata

Mananandata Valued Member

I really like the second video. Brazilians really do fight. That is obvious in that video. It is different from mainstream FMA but those movements are not alien to Pinoys. I read a book of Punong Guro Edgar Sulite about fifteen years ago showing those exact movements. I can't remember the title of the book, so just buy all his books.:)

2. Mananandata

An excerpt from Mr Mark Wiley's book. Take some LEADS not conclusions.
    And please, don't use the quote to smear Mark Wiley's name just because you hold an opposing opinion.
    Emphases (i.e. words in bold letters) and some omissions are mine.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

I've always liked Wiley's works.

Good job! Good find. Thanks for sharing some sources. You've redeemed yourself here.

4. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Kalista

Will you be calling yourself and your progenies Kalistas?

Because that's Spanish, like guitarrista. What will you call yourself now?:google:

5. Mananandata

hehe.. Good question! No I won't call myself a kalista, perhaps a kalisto yeah. But I won't mind if others will call me that. It is NOT Spanish. Is there a kalista word in Spanish? Listo is Spanish, kalista is not. Kalista is definitely a NEW word. The MANNER it's conjugated is Castillian-ish but as a matter of fact, it is a new word coined by FMA guys.
    And that's one of my THEORIES why certain FMA terminologies sound Spanish. Its CUSTOMARY for an ordinary Pinoy to speak and act like his masters(Los Senores). It does not necessarily mean that his acts and doings are DIRECTLY related to his masters. That's the farthest the Spanish influence on FMA goes AFAIC.

6. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

CrossPollination and CrossRoads

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZ38PtW3SI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZ38PtW3SI[/ame]

7. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

wow, a whole page without personal attacks! I'm impressed!:happy:

Keep it up, friends and I just might be back...

8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Yeah, but if the point is to rid yourself of Spanish, then we must come up with something totally different. This is a cleansing.

How about Kalindata?

9. Mananandata

No, I'm not trying to rid myself of Spanish, I am a serious student of anything Spanish. What I'm concerned of is the misconception about Pinoys in general and FMA in particular.
    It sounds nice and suggestive of so many things. I like it.
    Thanks for that YT link btw.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  10. invisi

invisi Valued Member

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I get the first picture but not the last two. You have me interested. What are they about?

Best regards

Pat

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I like Marks work he's a great guy met him and he is very humble and he trains my longest running student along side me.

But some of his findings in his early books has been questioned. But for the most part he has done great work in this field. And he is a great practitioner of the arts.

I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Best regards

Pat

13. invisi

invisi Valued Member

A Foreign Warrior In The Filipino Struggle For Independance

I thought I'd share this with everyone. My kinda hero. This man joined the army, was treated badly by his army, saw the struggle of a weaker people, defected from his army and joined the struggle of filipinos.

This man faced 'against all odds'. If he was captured he would of been court-martialed and sentenced to death. He identified with the struggle of a weaker peope and risked his life for a better life for others.

Why is there no statue of this adopted 'filipino' revolutionary hero?

[​IMG]

Here's the story:

It is said that a journalist well after the Philippine-American war, around the 1930s/1940s, discovered an old african-american man living in the deep jungle. He spoke english and had a filipina wife and many children.

Just had to get this one off my chest.

14. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

American Deserters

I'd like to know more about these American soldiers too. From the looks of it, there were more American deserters during the Philippine-American War than any other wars or conflicts the U.S. has been involved in. This would be a great book, maybe a compilation of their stories.

In Cebu, in Calamba Cemetery, there are quite a few Americans buried here (many were Black-Americans) who chose to stay in the Philippines instead of return to America. Most didn't die during the war, but died of natural causes in the 1920s and 1930s.

Calamba Cemetery in Cebu City:

Attached Files:

15. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Enlistment Papers

Fagen's enlistment papers probably looked a lot like these:

Attached Files:

16. invisi

invisi Valued Member

A semi-fiction book on Donald Fagen was written:

Cousins Of Color

Note: I have also read that it was not just african-american soldiers defected, though the majority were, white soldiers were also known of to have defected. Maybe they were offered land lots, business opportunities by the revolutionary army.

There is also a new american produced film out, portraying the Philippine-US War:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9zhyhAfxc"]Amigo (2010) Trailer[/ame]

Looks very brutal.

17. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

The four "colored" regiments:

18. invisi

invisi Valued Member

Other Stories of Bravery, Courage in PHL History

Onpoint,

Stories can sometimes evoke emotions. These are stories of bravery and courage and solidarity; to whatever degree of solidarity that is.

The siege of Baler was the last defense by the spanish colonial army in the PI. For at least a year after the spanish-american war ended, these spanish soldiers held out, thinking that the war had not ended. They were repeatedly told the war had ended, but their commander decided not to believe this, until their surrender a year after the war had ended, and they went home.

The Philippine revolutionary army; praised these spanish soldiers. They got respect.

In the Wiki entry:

Here is the link:

Siege Of Baler

Not to forget as seen the solidarity between US troops and Philippine troops in WWII; the battle of bataan. These soldiers fought a rear-guard to allow, Allied troops to escape the Japanese invasion. This mean't they knew they were not going to escape; fight to the death or captured. Those captured faced the death march and years in captivity in terrible conditions.

Battle Of Bataan

19. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

he states at the beginning that it's speculation. there are many holes in his speculations, most notably his obvious lack of knowledge of spanish methods of using the rapier. would you consider it smearing his name to point out the holes in his speculations?

tim

20. Mananandata

No I would not if you won't say that he formed his speculations out of ignorance. One can debunk theories/myths/ beliefs/speculations without resorting to personal attacks.

Now, going back to Sinawali which is common to all FMAers. Anything in Sinawali that can be connected to European martial arts? Manuals? Historical documents? Anecdotes?

If anybody wants to showcase their art as an example instead of Sinawali, they can do so.