spacing

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by johnson, Jun 26, 2003.

1. johnson

johnson Valued Member

We recently did the following movement/timing drill. Uke ties a know the the end of his belt and swings it to strike Tori. As the blow passes by Uki steps in to finish. To make things more complicated the exercise is taken further whereby the swing flys by Tori moves in but this time Tori keeps spacing by stepping smartly back and attacking with another swing - the exercise repeats.

Wondered if people have other good movement drills/games

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Johnson, can't quite picture what you're doing here (probably got to do with Friday night drinks :D ). Can you show some pics in the gallery to help understand?

I have started a little game with some of the more advanced students where Uke is allowed to come in punching and kicking (but has his eyes closed) and Tori is only allowed to use grappling skills to take him out. A bit of a mind bender for both...

3. johnson

johnson Valued Member

sounds good. Ive done someblindfold work but its prearranged - not spontaneous.

I dont really do much sparring in classes and most of our work seems very effective, I am conscious of being very 'stautue like' when moving and it is something I want to get better at. We train in tonfa, bo, jo ans sensei constantly talks about step work and movement patterns being the same as empty hand - so I was thought it would be useful to find some exercises to train the spacing component