sp jab/hook question

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shs111, Mar 25, 2013.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

unless you're fighting a simpleton, they'll work out what you're doing and start adjusting their counter to account for your movement.

I just don't see the point in trading a jab when you are leaving yourself vulnerable to a cross. The main purpose of a jab is to disrupt your opponent's timing and to be a nuisance, but it doesn't serve that purpose against a southpaw because you are punching right at their lead hand where they can easily block it or slap it down and feed you a jab of their own or, if they have good reach and are quick, they can step off and counter with a lead hook to your unguarded face (Pacquiao does that a lot).

You're playing into a Southpaw's hands relying on the jab. We'll happily trade jabs for crosses all. day. long.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I'm confused, are you a southpaw stepping outside on the jab (where you'll have the angle) or are you an orthodox who is stepping to the right to avoid a southpaw cross?

2. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

I'm stepping to my right to avoid my opponents right and i usually double up the jab as i do.

The best weapon to use against a southpaw is probably the straight right.

3. sampla

sampla Valued Member

I strike 1/2 faster then 1/1

do you still can counter it

4. holyheadjch

But are you an orthodox fighter? Because they should not be stepping to the right because it gives a southpaw a dominant position. That's what we were talking about a handful of posts ago. In a fight between opposite stances, you need to have your lead foot to the outside of your opponent's lead foot - it's the most important thing.

If you're southpaw, then stepping to the right might open up an angle where you can land a jab or a right hook (or a left cross).

Yeah, an orthodox fighter is always going to be well served with a right anything. The lead hand is pretty much useless from an attacking perspective, unless you're an amazing boxer.

5. sampla

sampla Valued Member

are you saying, in such fights, a lead hand for either is secondary

6. holyheadjch

Defensively it's important, but from an offensive point of view, you're going to be relying on your rear hand.

7. cuongnhugirl

Ok me and you weren't on the same page. I was refering to using the jab against an orthodox opponent which i fight most of the time. I am left handed, i usually jab with my left because it has more pop on it than my right. I have found that the straight right is an effective counter against southpaws.

8. sampla

sampla Valued Member

if the other fighter throws a three hook combo rear, lead, rear

9. cuongnhugirl

Not sure if i understand the question, but are you asking how to defend against a three hook combo? You could just step back and counter with a straight punch. Or duck under them and counter with hooks to the body and an uppercut upstairs. To be clear, you can step back out of range of a hook but the opponent is still in range for a straight punch.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. sampla

sampla Valued Member

dunno if I can do that

I mean, if you can't move or duck

11. holyheadjch

I'd concentrate on not getting into a position where your opponent can throw three unanswered hooks.

12. sampla

sampla Valued Member

what if you are already there

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Then you're getting hit with three consecutive hooks.

14. sampla

sampla Valued Member

how do you counter a combo that starts from rear

15. holyheadjch

The same way you counter anything, either beat your opponent to a strike or block/parry/slip your opponent's shot and throw the most sensible strike at your opponent taking advantage of his guard not being back in place.

16. Ero-Sennin

Man, you are the what if king! There comes a time in boxing where you just have to pick your pants up, put your belt on and fight back. If you're getting hit with a combo you can either maneuver out of the way, grab hold/shoulder check them backwards, or fight back.

Get a sparring partner and tell them you want to do a drill. The drill will be designed where one of you is the designated combo starter. That person will throw a 5 punch combo every time during every engagement during sparing. The other person has to interrupt the combination by either counter punching, moving out of the way, or grabbing on before the 5 punch combo is finished. This drill is especially fun to do when you're sparring partner doesn't know how to hold back his punches :cool:

17. sampla

sampla Valued Member

:D

ok, so, how do you counter a rear single attack, to the head

18. holyheadjch

...I'm getting the feeling you don't actually have much (or any) MA experience.

19. sampla

sampla Valued Member

just the training

no sparring

20. Ero-Sennin

Well, you have to throw a punch of your own. . . . . . . . . . . . :thinking: