southpaw checking kick question

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Nov 16, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

As a southpaw, when someone throws a rear kick to the inside of my leg, should I check it with turning my knee IN and shin facing him like a cross check? Or as he kicks,open my knee outward and kind of go with the kicks momentum?
    Ive seen both ways done but not sure which is better for countering and being more safe in general. Thank you

2. sensei_dez

sensei_dez Valued Member

hey, I'm a southpaw too! personally I'd go with the first one, wouldn't say it's better, but I prefer to check, shin on shin will hurt though, I'm usually more stuborn than the other guy when I spar.

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I fight southpaw too and when I check kicks, I prefer to check kicks from BOTH sides with my lead shin. Yes it hurts, but it hurts the kicker too, and I find it allows me to maintain better structure in order to return a combination more quickly than if I just take it or go with the flow.
    Ideally, of course, I'd get to spike the kickers thigh as they kick, teep their body, or cut-kick their standing leg, but I'm not good enough to do this more than 10% of the time, so checking the kick is better than just taking it!

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I switch between stances all the time. I check it by facing my knee to the kick.

5. sensei_dez

sensei_dez Valued Member

yeah and even if you only check it one or twice in a fight, they're going to hesitate to throw another one, lol