Solo push hands exercises

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by AmericanFighter, Apr 14, 2010.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You cannot "develop" Tinjin (listening) solo.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Naw, I think there's a rational explanation for everything.

Like, how they think there are waves hidden within EKG waves. That kind of thing. Subtle energy is such a big issue, you know? But I saw this thing on the history channel, they were doing research at some university where the mind was affecting random patterns of this ball that was programmed to randomly move... but when they had someone try and direct it's movement, it worked or something.

You're not talking to an idiot, though. Try not to get frustrated. But who's to say that things like chi and science couldn't one day compliment one another. Walking qigong has proven itself useful in treating cancer patients.

I'm curious: What exactly turned you off to chi?

3. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

yes but tai chi enhances that biomechanics process and gives you better awareness and control over it.

and tai chi can be very effective as a martial art it just takes a long time to get good at it but once you do it is amazing.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Really, do have evidence to support these statements?

The Bear.

5. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Yeah, but it's subjective evidence. You have to feel it for yourself, Mr. Skeptic. That requires participation. You don't have to believe it, just do the excersizes.

May the farce be with you.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Then it's not evidence, it's opinion.

The Bear.

7. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

An opinion can be a fact.

Facts get expanded until they're super facts. 100 years later, and the origional fact is nothing compared to what we know now.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Not without evidence.

The Bear.

9. AmericanFighter

all i have I have are my personal experiences. I thought all this chi **** was nothing but BS as well till i started feeling it. I had trained in kick boxing wrestling and TKD up till half way through my freshmen year in collage. However class my schedule got in the way of TDK so I found this guy in my area that teaches BAGUA. It is an internal art but I took it because of the foot work an nothing else and had no intention I had always had circulation problems in my hands and They had disappeared. Also knee and back pains that i had retained from my wrestling years in high school had gone away. I also noticed pressure and tingling in my hands as i went through the exercises. now i do tai chi because its less expensive and i couldn't afford bagua after the economy tanked a year later.

10. surrealism

surrealism trying to fit in

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  11. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Err...

Yes you can.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There is nothing to listen to.

Love making will require 2 persons in action. Solo action is masterbation.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  13. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

We're never alone, though.

Without other people to listen to, you're just talking to yourself.

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Are you on medication?

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Interestingly enough these were used in Kyokushin in the early years. We call them "Ikken" and it's from when Kyokushin and Taikiken dojo were doing some cross-training.

[​IMG]

What's interesting is I've never really heard too many people say it harnesses your chi or helps you shoot chi-balls out of your eyeballs. The few I've met who have really practiced this diligently all say it's great for posture, balance, breathing, and focus. I do 5-10 minutes in the morning most days, it's pretty relaxing. I'm not turning into a Super Saiyan yet though.

16. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Oh, cool! That's pile standing! I do that as part of my taiji warmup!

17. AmericanFighter

ignorant flame bait posts like this from people who just hit puberty (or are acting like it) are not needed. If you were a true marial artist you wouldn't say sh** like this.

For everyone else who doest fit the description above it takes allot more than just standing in a position to obtain chi awareness. in this stance both of your hands are in the ward off position which is often used in push hands and this helps you gain strength and endurance in both arms for push hands.

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah but the bottomline is CAN YOU FIGHT.
    If you are training in martial arts and can't fight then all the fancy explanations in the world don't matter.

The Bear.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  19. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Thing is.... it's aggrevating because we've all got chi awareness. Some people just refuse to call it chi. Unless you're just blindly stumbing and bumbling through every social situation in life that requires inner awareness and judgement of what's going on inside the other person.

20. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Dude...

dude.

You're a martial artist just because it's all about the fighting?
    I could fight before I was ever interested in Wing Chun or TKD or any of those fancy explanations. The only martial aspect to be gained from learning these arts is SELF knowlege. The way YOU move. Get it?
    I can fight like a chimp, buddy. Don't get confused.

chi is about something BIGGER than that. :cool: