Silat MMA fighter. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Combat Sports, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

2. Combat Sports

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What is the point of this video?

You cannot tell anything about the two styles as the fight is to short.

What do you think? As it is your thread you need to add a little more information. Posting a video and one line of text is frowned upon I'm afraid.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109351

4. Combat Sports

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think MMA at lower tier is generally gash, and that anybody could win on a given night.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I want to fight his opponents. That would be awesome. :D

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

At the same time, he was in the ring and fighting. Dude can only fight who's in front of him. :)

Mitch

8. Combat Sports

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. I knew people would pipe in with the "his opponent sucked" thing I hear every time someone posts a video of someone winning against an MMA fighter with a traditional art. They generally bitch endlessly that traditional stylists don't get in the ring to test their stuff. So when one does for some reason it's always the fault of their opponent that their martial art was any good.

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

The fights were atrocious. The second one involved a prolonged school yard headlock. If you had a clue what you were looking at you'd see that. Get a grip.

10. Mitch

You training yet Mike? :D

Mitch

11. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Interesting, neither of the guys going against Silat where particularly good, but from what I saw the Silat guys had some brutal kicks and unconventional attacks. The handwork looked a bit swingy and poor, but the kicks seemed to pick up the slack.

12. Combat Sports

Virtually all of your participation on this forum I have seen has been negative.

Wish this forum had an ignore function.

13. Mitch

To be fair, we know what works in high level MMA; it's MMA training. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as it's training designed to work under that ruleset. :)

I don't know Silat well enough to comment on whether what that guy did was Silat or not, but I do think that belittling him by saying his opponent's were rubbish is a diservice to both fighters, who if nothing else have the cojones to be in the ring for a fight.

Mitch

14. Grass hopper

And I wouldn't say his opponents where total garbage. Given, they weren't aggressive enough and the second one fumbled with the headlock, but they where probably new, nervous, and taken aback by the aggression and unconventional nature of their opponent.

15. Mitch

It has. Go to User CP near the top left of your screen then choose Edit Ignore List :)

Mitch

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

a headlock that he had no idea to throw from and held on for no reason. im willing to bet that very few people have been subbed by a headlock.

headlock tai-o-toshi anyone?

17. Grass hopper

I think he was more just trying not to get kicked again. Looked to me like he panicked upon getting hit that hard. He was probably just new to mma.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Absolutely, the guy threw a few kicks that were very well judged in time and distance, with little telegraphing.

Irrespective of his hands or grappling, or opponent, respect to the guy for that.

The thing I found interesting was that the signature silat takedown didn't work at all (I call it signature because I've not seen it elsewhere).

What's with all the dissing?

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yeah think he was just new.

could see the panic.

20. Grass hopper

Gotta say the hand work was incredibly poor though, I've seen better punches out of a ten year old. Wild swings.