Silat in New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by mike-a, May 16, 2005.

1. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Howdy folks, I'm just wondering does anyone know of any silat teachers or groups in New Zealand? We include a tiny bit as part of our jkd/kali training, but I'd really like to learn/see some more.

I know there is a kuntao silat teacher in Hamilton (i believe he is of the De Thaurs line), and I think there may be a Mande Muda group in Wellington.

I'd particularly like to find folks in or near Auckland, as that's where I'm based.

Cheers

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i didnt have much luck when i looked around, although to be honest I didnt look that hard. welcome to MAP btw, we are going to have to organise a meet- the NZ population of MAP has hugely increased in the last few weeks

3. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Oh, I've been around a while, just more of a lurker than a poster...

Where in NZ are you?

4. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

With regards to Kiwi MAPpers, I have realy only talked to Rick_nz ( a fellow eskrimador) and Reiki (another Aucklander who does a karate style, but with a bit of Arnis).

The kuntao guy in Hamilton was at Bobby Taboda's seminar last year, and my jkd/kali teacher (who travels a bit for his job) has played with him a few times.

What's your field of interest? Mainly Muay Thai, or do you cross-train?

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I am in auckland as well. I am pretty much a muay thai guy, but I have done a bit of judo and capoeira.

6. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Do you know of many other kiwi (especially Auckland) MAPers?

A meet sounds like a plan...

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I know that Devoken goes to auckland uni with me, bum eyes is moving here soon (lives in dargaville) and hongkongfuey is also moving to palmerston north soon. someone else also lives here further south, i forget who though.

8. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

What sort of stuff are you guys interested in. I train with a variety of different folks, so lots of possible things to look at for a meet.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

muay thai and grappling are my favourite aspects, although I dont train in a grappling art atm. Devo is interested in being a ninja I think :D

10. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

I think we're headed off-topic with this. I'll have a talk to a few folks and see what kind of stuff we may be able to organise for a meet.

One thing I can think of straight away. The Bakbakan kali guy I caught up with last week is going to do a knife seminar soon. Maybe you guys would be interested?

I'll post details closer to the time.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sure, if its cheap, and if its ok for total noobs to attend

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Indeed you are ;)

Lets head back to Silat in NZ, and start a new thread for a meet....

Thanks

13. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

hey there mike & ikken ,
    one of my guys(Czaric) use to train with the Mande Muda group in Waikanae under Brett Cundy.As far as i am aware Brett has a very small class and classes are not structured as in you will do different stuff each time you go to class,So there is no structured progression as such .Any way Czaric has signed up here at MAP ,Im not quiet sure what his username is.But im sure he will be able to answer your question in more detail.A NZ MAP meet would be good let us know of more details.
    Cheers
    Riki

14. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Hey Riki,

Does Czaric know if Brett has any associates up this end of the world?

Oh, and how much of his Diamondback does he remember?

Cheers