signing out for a while

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by jkzorya, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Hi folks,
    Just wanted to let you know that I hate all the rowing and animosity that my opinions trigger so I'm going to stay away from MAP for a while and just check back every now and then to see what others are saying. I have said all I have to say for the time being on most things - you don't need to hear me saying the same things again and again. My opinions will provoke rows whether I want them to, or not.

The truth is that I have done the martial journey the other way around from most people. When I first took up formal martial training I was looking for something more skilled and less tooth and claw than real violence so I came at it from quite a cerebral / intellectual angle. I have gradually moved away from the internal arts methodology over the last decade, in the drection of what many might call external arts methodology. I'm happier where I am and don't have any religous or spiritual conflicts here.

So, I do actually like some of you quite a lot but I'm just so very tired of arguing, that's it is time to sign out for a while.

Best regards and hugs,
    :) Joanna

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Joanna,

I'm sorry that you feel the need to do this.

Personally, I've found many of your posts interesting and thought-provoking, and as far as I've seen you've always argued your 'side' of things with dignity and without animosity.

I hope you'll stick around.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

You were pretty brave to come on and defend yourself like you did.I had to do a similar thing a while back,it isn't nice ,and you handled some of them very well indeed.

Even though you are from over the border I hope you stick around too! There are few enough women round here as it is!

Louise
    :)

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I enjoyed reading your posts Joanna. I think the Tai Chi forum needed the balance you brought to it.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Enjoy your time off Joanna, see you soon I hope :)

6. jkzorya

Big thanks to all of you. :) :) :love:

7. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

tai chi forums need people who arent scared to speak up,go if you feel you must,but a tai chi hardass is a rare thing to find and speaking your mind is much more impressive than going along with what others beleive blindly, i enjoyed your posts. enjoy your time off
    :D

8. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I would also like to see you stick around. I find you help to keep the equation balanced, so to speak.

That said, I'll understand if you need a break :) Be well, either way.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Seconded! .. I'll have a go at the mushiness with a salty tear in me eye. btw i have my very own field of salt if you need a couple buckets..

Pop in, mosey around, and speak your mind on whatever you see fit jk.

Thanks for some of the links you posted, especially the one about the baby jesus, I mean Christ the buddy.. Been after a read like that, I'm going to put it on a list.

See you around my dear.
    I'd have you watching my back on any day; my dearest, sweetest jk ..

Urrghg i have a wierd taste in my mouth & i think I'm going to heave..
    ...Hmm, more room for lunch! :)

Kind regards and happy training.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  10. Dancing Badger

Dancing Badger New Member

Hi all, first post here, and it's going to be a longish one, forgive me. I was directed to this thread, although I'm well aware of this forum. I've lurked here quite a bit, off and on, but hadn't previously seen the debates which seem to have led to this.

I've had a look through some of the arguments, and have been impressed by Joanna's attempts to argue her case, often in the face of some unnecessary ad hominem arguments, and usually as a lone voice in the wilderness.

Joanna may or may not guess who I am, I'm not about to say here, but I've been training with her for a few weeks and feel in a position to pass comment. "Only a few weeks," I hear you say, "what do you know about it?" Well, I've been studying martial arts for more than 30 years - mainly what some of you would call external arts, although it's a distinction I don't feel is very useful - there are many paths up the mountain, but they mostly end up in the same place. I've not told Joanna of my previous experience, although I don't seek to hide it, and she hasn't asked. I don't doubt that it's blindingly obvious to her that, "I've done something before."

My core art is karate, but I've also spent time studying judo and aikido, I've done some Taiji (predating meeting Joanna), a small amount of not very good Xingyi (packed it in because it wasn't very good) and also dabbled in various other arts, including systema and combat sambo. And I've attended many seminars, and trained with several people who I'm quite sure you'll all have heard of, and yeah, I've road-tested what I do, and it works. That's as much detail as I'm prepared to share - if you choose not to believe me that's fine, I have no reputation here and am not seeking to make one, so I feel no need to provide references.

So whilst I'm not making any claims as to my own ability, I get by, and I feel that I've knocked around in the martial arts plenty long enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Having read Joanna's website, and what she has said here, and having attended her classes, I can confirm that in my opinion her martial arts do exactly what she says they do. As I indicated, I have not trained with her very long, but I'm sure that those of you with significant experience will agree that it doesn't take very long to assess whether somebody is any good or not.

I think it speaks volumes that after practising martial arts regularly since 1973 I think it worth my time, money and effort to train with Joanna, who is some years my junior and who must have been a very little girl (if that) when I started out on my martial arts path. And I hope to continue training with her for a long time. She has a lot to offer.

Had I been around MAP more in the recent months, I might have had more to say at the time, and you'd have found at least one more voice who subscribes to the view that a martial art is a martial art, and is intended for fighting. You can do other things with it, but then you're not using it for its original purpose, or for its primary purpose. Your mileage may vary, and that's absolutely fine - lots of people believe in things I don't believe, and I believe things that lots of other people might think bunkum, but I don't see why that should be a cause for conflict, although it can breed interesting debate.

Joanna, I hope you will return when you've recharged your batteries - I think it's right that "accepted wisdom" should be challenged by those who have knowledge of the area and have given consideration to an alternative view, and it seems to me that you have argued your case eloquently.

Take care. :)

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Bye then :)

12. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

wake me up when all this melodramatic BS is over somebody.... :rolleyes:

13. jkzorya

Hmm - you're really not a great advert for Nichiren Buddhism, are you TJB?
    Or are you? Is this how everyone behaves when their Inner Buddha Nature is beckoning them towards enlightenment?

And before you lash out, my peace-loving friend - I think you'll find that I endeavour to attack methodologies, not individuals, where you appear to focus on the latter. I generally try to omit names to protect the guilty :D

Thanks again to everyone who has sent me their kind wishes :) - I think I'm through the worst of my MAP detox now, and hope to be getting a bit more rest (and a bit more work done) very soon now...

yay - the future is bright :)

14. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

This made me chuckle as if you take it one way it could mean 你吃人 which is you eat people buddhism which in the context of the post is ironic...

Joanna, I havent been around much here lately... I drop by from time to time but really I am not as active for pretty much the same reasons you outline... take care and may the Qi be with you... :D

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

That would just be greedy. God power, the baby jesus and THE qi force (tm)

How much mental imagary does one person need! :Angel:

LOL

Hold me down! :D

Always nice to see a tall dark handsome shadow strolling in through the swing doors - gets me all excited. 2 in two days, whas up? ;)

16. Shadowdh

LOL... busy times my friend... but I have been popping in from time to time... might make it a more regular occurrence...

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Busy times indeed ShD, we really must grab a cup of tea sometime. Maybe at the next meet. Which I foretell will arise in a mysterious fashion, as if from no-where in particular. :)

When Rob gets back to me .. *cough*

18. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Although I have never gotten involed in any of the dust ups that you reference as a reason for your sabbatical, I too have enjoyed your posts and sincerely ask that you reconsider. I think your posts have presented a refreshing viewpoint. Besides any opinion on just about anything is bound to irritate someone somewhere. I think you do yourself and the rest of us a disservice by leaving.

19. Shadowdh

A cup of tea would be good mate... I will try to make the meet but time is of a premium at the moment (which should lessen once I finish this masters course)...

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I hear you dude, i trust that's going peaches. great thing you're doing there mate. i really should see about getting myself an education :D

My sisters' just finishing up a Docterate in Psych. (am v. proud of her!) - she wants to come and do some test thingy on me soon.. Is she mad?