Signature Characteristics of your Style

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by paihequan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

What would you say is the main signature characteristics of your particular style? Is there one technique or aspect that stands out in your art?

Here is one from my art (Minghequan:

[​IMG]

Front view of the Shiho Tien Sh-it (Feeding Crane Open's it's Wings). The body position (Tiwei) is held supple and relaxed and is likened to a bow with the limbs being the arrows (Zhang). The energy is lead by the mind through what is known as Xinyi (“Intention”) and delivered via Zhiqiao (“Limb Skill”). White Crane Kung Fu is a soft style which focuses on short ranged hand techniques, with a strong emphasis on applying Dan Dou Qin (Chi tremor). Like an agile bird it eschews confrontations of head-on power. It utilizes folding and flapping actions for elbow and hand continually exchanging with one another. Some times the crane is frontal like a posturing bird. Sometimes it turns suddenly with a surprising wing like covering. In ancient days observers were amazed at the sight of cranes taking off into flight and cracking the branches of nearby trees with the tips of their wings. This idea of extreme acceleration is still evident in the shivering fingertips of crane practitioners when they utilize this energy.

The mind's (Yi) "intent" must also be properly focused and centred within when executing movement. One must not allow the mind to become distracted or bound by external thoughts, the mind should be focused. Qi/Chi only moves only as the mind moves. Energy is directed by your mind. The “Yi” (mind) leads the “Li: (body).

The use of the breath is also important as in Chinese martial arts Qi/Chi is breath.

When you have the proper mindset (intent) combined with the correct body posture and breathing then you will develop correct Fajin or expression of energy.

2. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Most of what I could say about about feihequan would be repeating what you just said.

The school I train at trains its white crane in a more external/hard way, although I put a lot of my personal training efforts/time into power generation/qi manipulation.

---

While I mostly agree with that, it is a pretty big can of worms on here, as we have some people that are what I would call "Chi Fundamentalists".

3. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

Hi Guizzy,

Thanks for your thoughts and discussion.

One has to be careful when talking about Chi and its various practices. I am talking about it here from a Chinese Traditional Medicine view.

4. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Characteristics of Seven Star Praying Mantis: http://www.mantiskungfu.com/CharacterPriciples.htm

Signature postures? Maybe Mantis Catches Cicada or the opening move from Praying Mantis Steals the Peach. :)

Who's got pics? Dark, do you? Do have a pic from the Plum Flower form that is similar to what our White Crane friend posted?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  5. Hung-Fut

Hung-Fut Valued Member

The signature of my style is being amazing... according to wikipedia ^_^. Search Hung Fut. Haha, wikipedia makes it sound like one the deadliest arts ever formed. Sa-weet.

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I haven't chosen yet, but I can say some stuff about the arts I can choose.

Wing Chun is known for it's trapping, and close quarter fighting.

Choy Lay Fut is known for it's powerful, powerful striking and being a well rounded system.

7. TenTigers

TenTigers Valued Member

our Hung Kuen is known for its aggressiveness. The development of one punch killing power, yet delivered in a barrage of rapid fire attacks-overkill is just enough! Ripping,tearing,breaking,crushing.The bik kiu is the first thing taught-pressing or crashing bridges. Overwhelm the opponent at first breath. Chuen Sum-attack and penetrate the heart. These are the basics.

8. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

not to mention the shoulder hit and headbuts.. lol biting :D:D...basically smashing down with insane power till the opponent cant block anymore ... then make it rain punches :D:D

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

is this guy serious?

10. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Yeah, he is.

There is a saying in the Hung Kuen:

"We don't block, we strike."

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh, wow.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sounds like your everyday average Hung to me.

Fu Hok Tsing P'ai, Tigers!

13. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

serious as a heart attack :D
    hung gar, clf and many of the other southern hand styles follow this principle of fighting.. the problem is finding a good school
    Exactly... and even if you block.. its gotta hurt the opponent.so its more like a counter.
    Like when your opponent throws a punch.. sometimes while moving in, you hit his forearm -also kick the shin straight- with yours to do some serious damage - now HK forearm conditioning is made for stuff like this lol :D. There is also alot of exchanging hits in this style. Oh man now i wanna write so much more lol but no time ... ill post tommorrow.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Well you need to look at the system as a whole. In a fight nobody would stand there like that.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Adaptability. One of the main advantages of a hybrid style :)

16. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Well in wing Chung the main principles would have to be the center line theory . Where everything runs down the center line ... attacks are thrown down the center line , blocks cut through the centre line. this is because why travel the long way when there is a direct route.
    Even when dodging or sidestepping you must always ensure you cut back into the centre line.
    If a punch is thrown directly down your centre line you can step out of your triangle to the side and cut back in at the point of your triangle to intercept or block./strike the attacker on the centre line. ( kinda hard to explain in type form )

erm the main things for wing chung are more than likely going to be

One Inch Punch - thanks to Bruce Lee
    Chi Sau - Rolling Arms (Drill)
    Mook Jong - Wooden Dummy (Training Equipment)

Snake Vs Crane is the animal background to the Art .

Crane
    Blocks such as Bong Sau - Wing arm
    Attacks - Side Kick

Snake
    Block - **** Sau , moi Jut Sau
    Attacks - ging snap of the vertical punch

17. Hung-Fut

Hung-Fut Valued Member

Laser beam eyes. Nuff said.