Side kicks

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Thephenom52, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

Heya guys, long time no post.

Last night I was in class trying to execute side kicks (you know, the ones Bruce Lee used to do to kick a guy half way across the room) but for the life of me, I couldn't get any power generation behind them. I can generally kick pretty hard but for some reason I'm having real difficulty pulling these off. :dunno:

Does anyone have any tips?

(I'm not sure if the kung fu forum is the right place to post this thread, so I apologise if this seems a little out of place here).
    :hat:

2. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

I'm assuming you mean the ones where you step behind first?

Mainly make sure you roll your hip as you kick :D

That's is pretty much all I can think of sorry ^^
    Goood luck :D

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Many people make the same mistake with this show piece kick.

Lets assume you are in a right lead (kicking with the right leg). Are you stepping through with your left leg or jumping into it. If you are jumping through with your left leg as you land all the energy is directed into the floor. If you start by stepping through, place the left leg behind the right, then as the weight transfers all the energy is directed forward.

To progress you need to be able to keep the energy moving forward, any heavy landing with the left leg (in right lead) will lead to a loss of energy through the kick.

Do not try to go to the next stage of going faster without being able to stop the heavy landing. Forward momentum is the key.

In my day I could get a 17 stone guy to leave the floor when holding the kick shield for me.

Good luck.

4. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

I this kick is the bane of many people technical arsenal. The way I look at it is by a funcitonal muscualr way. The front kick is the most straight forward we walk, run climb up ladders, cycle a bike using the same and simialr leg movments to a front kick.

The turning kick / roundhouse uses a knee extension, momentum and rotation. Again its a natural movement.

The side kick is a leg extension but also uses hip abduction. Now thinking about our natural body movements, hip abduction is not one of them, therefore we need to strengthen this movement in order to strengthen the entire side skick movement.

Try working plenty of lateral leg raises, with or with out weights to improve this hip strength. And then see if this strengthens your side kick.

On a technique note, I have noticed that many people side kick wrong, they dont hip extend. Rather they pick the thigh up and kind of extend the hip slighty but more push using the lower leg resulting in a turning kick technique with the foot pulled back!

Start doing the kick slowly, pull the knee right up to your body and the thigh parallel to the floor and extend the leg right out infront of you for an amount of reps. Take 5 seconds to extend the leg. If you can feel that hip muscle wanting to rip off your leg you know its that!!!

5. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

Hiya guys, thanks for the replies so far. I think I'm failing abit on all fronts- which just goes to show how deceptive that kick is. It seems easy, but there's actually a lot to it (which is cool) :cool:

I'll work on stepping properly. Simon, I think my footwork is my biggest let down, for all the reasons you mentioned. To be honest I get worried about tripping over my own feet which is why i hesitate to bring the left foot behind the attacking right one. :cry: lol

Could someone explain what is meant by hip rolling? is it, bringing the leg up to the waist in a sort of cocking motion?

:hat:

6. SifuAbel

SifuAbel Valued Member

One thing not addressed, and the biggest problem I've seen with people having trouble, is the proximity to the target.

Are you too close to issue your extension? The leg should be closer to extension on target contact. Some skip in so close that the leg is closer to tucked when landed.

7. Simon

I see this of less of a problem as you get stronger. I can make contact with a tucked leg and still be strong enough to move the target. Remember this is a showy push kick, not a stabbing kick that drops the target on the spot.

8. SifuAbel

SifuAbel Valued Member

No I disagree, its a push kick when nearer to tuck. Its real impact is nearer to the end on the extension.

A side kick is basically a stomp done horizontally.

9. Simon

Sound to me like we have two slightly different methods that achieve the same outcome.

I think also that the OP should be able to take a little from each of us to help his technique.

10. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

keep the leg relaxed and kick with the hip.

whip your leg from the waist so that the leg acts as an empty bridge for the force to travel through. Avoid kicking with the muscles of the leg themself. (ie from the knee)

Sounds like your leg is not relaxed enough. Holding the leg straight out is a good excersise to do. (both infront and to the side)

Also, raise the heel of your kicking leg before you kick. Dont kick with the foot of the kicking leg flat on the floor, it creates a clunky feeling. With the heel raised the kick is partway 'ready' to move.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Check where the toes of your supporting foot are pointing when you kick.

People will often leave them pointing at 90 degrees to the target, but IMO this fails to allow the hips to work properly in the kick. Your toes should be pointing nearly back the way you came, nearly 180 degrees from the target.

Hope that helps!

Mitch

12. Simon

I agree, I also think this helps rotate the hips assisting in the angle of the kicking foot.

Here I don't agree. Where is your balance if you are on your toes.
    If you are having to be on your toes I recommend more stretching and strength exercises.

Below is a very old picture of me which I think backs up both arguements.

Power, balance and strength.

Hook Kick.jpg

13. Mitch

Did you share a barber with Tin Tin :D

Mitch

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Tight buns though you'd have to agree

15. Simon

Cruel.

I have a few pictures from back in the day. I always tell people they are pics of me with hair,not pics of me kicking.

As an aside Mitch, thanks for the training request. I will send you a PM over the weekend.

16. Simon

Could be my new signature.

17. Mitch

Look forward to it :)

I'll let you know if they've lasted :D

Mitch

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Take plenty of lube

19. Simon

Originally Posted by frodocious
    Faints at the power of the raw animal magnetism eminating from the peak of male perfection that is Mitch..

Mitch. A little bit Yah Yah.

And he want to come and train with me.

'Nervous fidget.'

Can we get back to the side kick.

20. Simon

Not fair, Moi posted first.

Very nervous fidget. Clenches buttocks. :eek:

I've heard about them biker chaps.