Shu's Training Journal (or "Old Man Kung Fu")

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by InkyTommy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

A couple of my old sparring buddies were in class tonight so it was really nice having grown ups around. Sifu let the three of us work on point sparring while he coached young 'uns.

On one hand, I really hate point sparring because I'm terrible at it. But on the other hand, it's good to have the chance to work on it. Even though my two classmates are far more experienced than me (both outrank me and are black belts in other martial disciplines).

Out of six rounds, I scored maybe two or three points total. I was feeling a little down on myself until one of them reminded me that several months ago, I wouldn't have scored at all. So hey! Improvement!

Getting Better
    -Movement and evasions
    -Trapping hands and blocks
    -Speed and endurance
    -Throwing more combinations

Needs Work
    -Kicks were not effective
    -Drawing out my opponent
    -Timing. I literally walked into a side kick :confused:
    -Distance. One of my classmates commented that I stay too far out

The reason for that last one is, quite simply, I know they'll counter with side kicks and score. In free sparring, I'll take a hit to close distance.

After class was over, one of my class mates asked me to do a drill. He told me to come at him (hands only) while all he did was block. I had no problem getting in and scoring several hits. In fact, after the drill, he remarked that he didn't expect me to get in so often!

He also remarked that I have very fast hands and suggested that I focus on countering and jamming kicks so they're no longer a problem.

Good advice!

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 462 calories, avg heart rate of 117 BPM, max heart rate of 151 BPM

axelb likes this.
  2. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Workout Time!

Was in a training session all day today and wasn't able to get out to the gym.

So, I came home and did forms and some shadow boxing.

Worked on Keun Lei Keun and Chong Keun (and surprisingly, remembered both of them!). The focus was on keeping the stances low and executing the moves with power.

After that, I did a couple of three minute rounds of shadow boxing, with a third round dedicated only to footwork.

Cooled down with a 2 minute horse stance.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 312 calories, avg heart rate of 111 BPM, max heart rate of 137 BPM
    -Total workout ran about 45 minutes. Did the forms multiple times, tweak certain things with each run through.
    -Practiced some muay thai kicks because 1) it's a great way to loosen up the hips and 2) there's absolutely no reason not to use them in sparring.

3. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

Good class! Sifu continues to mix things up a little. which has renewed my joy at coming to class. Variety, they say, is the spice of life. or perhaps that's oregano...

Either way, we worked on punch combos, side kicks and target practice. And I even got to train one-on-one with Sifu on my sidekicks.

Getting Better
    -Basic jump/spin kicks. Somehow, I managed to pull off a perfect Inside Crescent Kick, Jump-Spinning Inside Crescent Kick! Watched myself in the mirror...and it looked pretty Kung Fu-ey!
    -Punch combos. Heavy bag and shadow box training is paying off
    -Endurance

Needs Work
    -Roundhouse kicks. The downside to doing Muay Thai kicks is that their mechanics creep into my Kung Fu kicks. Sifu had to remind me to point with the kneed and chamber my roundhouse
    -Side kicks. Still feels weird and unnatural to me. But Sifu gave me some tips and drills to practice
    -Flexibility. Left side is still perpetually tight. Should probably stretch out a little before class.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 437 calories, avg heart rate of 113 BPM, max heart rate of 160 BPM
    -We did a lot of jump/spin kicks right after warm up. Come to think of it, we did a lot of kicks through out class. This is why my max heart rate is so high...

axelb likes this.
  4. InkyTommy

Gym Kata

-Seated chest press (plates) - 110 lbs - 3 x 10 (see notes)
    -Seated lat pull down (machine) - 125 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Cable rope pull down - 100 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Cable rope curls - 60 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Seated leg press - 180 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Seated calf press- 180 lbs - 3 x 10
    -BOSU Ball planks - 2 x 1 min
    -Horse Stance Squat - 1 min

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 127 calories, avg heart rate of 100 BPM, max heart rate of 145 BPM
    -We did about 50 high level push ups along with 2 minute Iron Shirt last night...so my chest was fried. Hence the lower weight on chest press
    -Still focusing on "explosive motions" with the weights. So for example, in chest press...I'm more "throwing" the weights up than pressing them.

axelb likes this.
  5. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Sifu wasn't there, so Sifu Alex ran the class. I like it when he does, because he works up to sparring.

First we warm up, then we practice combinations and end with pad drill. After that, it's go time!

Getting Better
    -Movement and defense. Turns out, I'm pretty hard to hit (according to a classmate).
    -Aggressiveness. Scored some legit hits on our two black belts! Naturally, they didn't let that happen again.o_O
    -Speed
    -Endurance. At first I thought I wasn't working that hard. Didn't seem as tired as I used to be. But according to Fitbit, I burned off some 500+ calories!

Needs Work
    -Kick felt slow and sluggish. Think I was reflecting too much on Sifu's advice to me from Tuesday.
    -Combinations. Didn't get any heavy bag time this week and it showed!
    -Feints and fakes. Still having trouble getting my opponents to "open".

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 538 calories, avg heart rate of 124 BPM, max heart rate of 157 BPM
    -I sneaked in old Muay Thai switch kick I used to do. Seemed to catch a lot of people by surprise! :cool:
    -I do a "Right-leg lead" stance (they call it a Southpaw stance in boxing. Makes sense since I'm a lefty). But when I throw a rear leg left kick, it really freaks people out! :cool::cool:
    -Hmmm...maybe I'm sneakier than I thought! :D

6. InkyTommy

Gym Time

-Jump rope - 1 min
    -Heavy bag (punch combos) - 4 min
    -Jump rope - 30 sec
    -Heavy bag (punch combos...slight kicks) - 4 min
    -Jump rope - 30 sec
    -Heavy bag (punch combos/movement drills) - 3 min
    -Plyo push ups - 3 x 10
    -Catch-and-hold Inverted rows - 3 x 10
    -Curl/press ups (25 lbs per arm) - 3 x 10
    -Squats (2 sec hold between each rep) - 3 x 10
    -Low stance stretch - 3/side

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 231 calories, avg heart rate of 117 BPM, max heart rate of 136 BPM
    -Maximum 30 sec rest between sets. No rest between bag workout and jumping rope

7. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

It was a pretty "meh" class. Or more specifically, my performance tonight was pretty meh.

I got there a little late and didn't have a chance to warm my legs up properly. Which was a drag because we went straight into pad kicking drills.

So, while I'm always happy to work on stuff I need to, it was a little disheartening as to just how bad I am compared to some of the young whippersnappers in my class. :mad:

Getting Better
    -Butterfly kick seems to be getting more crisp. Strong finish, too.
    -Cyclonic kick! Actually saw myself in the mirror during forms and it looked...decent!
    -Forms. Good solid run through of Chong Keun and Sam Lei Keun

Needs Work
    -Every other type of kick. Roundhouse kick has little power and even less height
    -Side kick. Still not picking my knee up high enough.
    -Hook kick. Still not picking my knee up high enough.
    -Jump Spinning Side Kick. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! It was terrible.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 261 calories, avg heart rate of 93 BPM, max heart rate of 129 BPM

axelb likes this.
  8. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

-Seated Chest Press (plates) - 130 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Heavy Bag
    • Jab Drill Warm Up - 1 min
    • Combo Training 2 x 3 min rounds
    -Fixed Lat Pull Down (machine) - 130 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Preacher Curl - 60 lbs - 2 x 10, 70 lbs - 10
    -Tricep Extension 60 lbs - 2 x 10, 70 lbs - 10
    -Seated Leg Press - 190 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Seated Calf Press - 190 lbs - 3 x 10

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 182 calories, avg heart rate of 96 BPM, max heart rate of 127 BPM
    -30 sec rest between sets
    -Worked in the Heavy Bag while the Yoga class was leaving and the Zumba class was entering. Tight schedule!
    -Need to change things up again. Basically...I need to find a workout that hits all the things I need in about 35 minutes. :rolleyes:

axelb likes this.
  9. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Fun class! Sifu led us through some more jump/spinning kicks (on which I really need work) and then broke down the practical elements of the Chong Kuen form.

We also got a little crash course history of our style - Mizong Luohan. The name literally translates to "Lost Track Holy Fist" and is a combination of two styles originating from the Shaolin Temple. From "Mizong" ("Lost Track") we use deceptive footwork, a lot of leaping, jumping and skipping and fakes and feints. From Luohan ("Arhat Fist"), we learn to use "rotational power" in our punches (basically...putting our hips into them).

I love it when Sifu's mini history lessons!

Getting Better:
    -Jumping Inside and Outside Crescent Kick have decent height and power
    -Stances are getting lower
    -Getting looser. Used to have a tendency to tighten my shoulders and hips. Had to pay special attention to them, but I managed to keep everything relaxed.

Needs Work:
    -Spin kicks. For some reason my flexibility goes out the window and the height of the kicks vanishes. I think I'm throwing my leg up too early in rotation.
    -Waistline rotation to give power and snap to those Mizong punches!
    -Spine is too rigid. Though the hips and shoulders are relaxing, my spine is too straight. This is impacting my Butterfly Kick

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 217 calories, avg heart rate of 92 BPM, max heart rate of 120 BPM
    -Need to just work on Jumping Spinning Inside and Outside Crescent Kicks until I'm comfortable with them. I think something minor is throwing me off...

axelb likes this.
  10. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Good class!

I think something finally...clicked. It felt like people were taking it easy on me...going slow...not really trying. I thought "Maybe people are just tired from all this heat." Or maybe they were ready for the weekend.

When I asked one of my perpetual sparring partners how much he held back, he seemed surprised. "Uh...I didn't!" he replied.

Then it hit me.

It wasn't them. It was me!

No more flinching! I was able to block or dodge most of what was thrown at me. And I could actually see openings in an opponent's defense! I felt fast, relaxed and light on my feet.

So it seems like everything is starting to congeal and come together.

Really a fun class tonight!

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 379 calories, avg heart rate of 106 BPM, max heart rate of 162 BPM
    -Just for kicks (pun intended), I tried a couple of moves (Tactics 1,2 and 4) from the following video. They worked about 10% of the time, but that's mainly because I'm not fast enough to pull them off yet. Yet! Definitely going to keep working at these....

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Funny I was looking at that video recently also.
    I've used the same tactics, certainly can be pulled off frequently. If you can work it in a static drill, followed by live drill, then you will find you pull it off frequently in sparring :)

InkyTommy likes this.
  12. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

-Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag - Combos (hands only) - 4 min
    -Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag - Bruce Lee Tactics (see notes) - 4 min
    -Seated Chest Press (machine) - 130 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Lat Pull Down - 130 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Cable Tricep Press - 90 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Cable Bicep Curl - 50 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Seated Leg Curl - 80 lbs - 3 x 10
    -Seated Leg Extensions - 80 lbs - 3 x 10

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 225 calories, avg heart rate of 104 BPM, max heart rate of 136 BPM.
    -Worked all the tactics from the "Bruce Lee" video I posted last time per axelb's advice :D. Got some bag drills in to get comfortable with the motion and the speed.
    -Rested 15 seconds between sets 1 & 2 and then 30 second between sets 2 & 3.
    -Need to vary up the exercises again. I'm just doing the same things over and over. Should probably develop a repertoire of various movements for different body parts so I can get some variety going.
    -Hmmm...maybe that's a good project for the upcoming long weekend.

axelb likes this.
  13. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

I hate it when life gets in the way of fun!

A heavy work schedule kept me from training last week. And unfortunately, this trend will probably continue all month due to some upcoming trips and events. But I've decided to take my Fu when I can get it.

Tonight we focused on more advanced techniques and drilled through some of the practical applications of certain punch/kick combos. It was fun!

Getting Better:
    -Mobility and flexibility. Kicks are getting higher and more comfortable
    -"Looseness". Kicks have more "snap" an I'm not tensing my shoulders when I throw punches
    -Cyclonic Kick actually looked passably decent!

Needs Work:
    -Endurance! That'll teach me to eat like a college frat boy when I skip a week. I felt every bit like the middle-aged man I am...
    -Tong Keun. I have forgotten about half of what I learned with that form.
    -Still skimping on some of the moves in the combos. For example, there's a block where the arm goes straight up to the ear, then drops the elbow and pulls back. I'm not doing those three parts cleanly.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 375 calories, avg heart rate of 104 BPM, max heart rate of 138 BPM.

axelb likes this.
  14. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

Started a new workout plan. Let's see how it hold up...

-Bench Press - 155 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Seated Rows - 130 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Preacher Curl - 70 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Tricep Dips - 3 x 10
    -Kung Fu Squats - 3 x 20

Plan to raise the weight every two weeks.

Would have liked to get some time with the heavy bag, but that shifty Zumba class sneaked in there...

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 146 calories, avg heart rate of 89 BPM, max heart rate of 125 BPM.

axelb likes this.
  15. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Decent class tonight. Mostly young 'uns, so I used this as an opportunity to work on my footwork and evasion.

Almost none of them throw punches. They all lead with side kicks and rarely follow up with hands. Spent about 50% of the time coaching the kids I was actively sparring. Hey...sometimes you learn...sometimes you teach (which is a good way to learn).

My footwork and combos suffered a bit since I'd missed a week and had zero time with the heavy bag or jump rope. So that confirmed those two elements are essential to my training.

Still...as always, it was a fun night.

And no one got killed!

Getting Better:
    -Evasion. The little nippers are fast! So I'm proud of the fact that very few of them were able to hit me.
    -Endurance. When a 20-year old is breathing harder than me after a round, I'm doing alright!

Needs Works:
    -Kicks are still too low. Sifu gave me the secret. "Lean back", he said. And when I did, voila! A head-height roundhouse kick!
    -Combos. Like I said above, there was a little regression due to the lack of bagwork and jump.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 503 calories, avg heart rate of 119 BPM, max heart rate of 163 BPM.
    -I was moving around a lot. Endurance!

axelb likes this.
  16. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

-Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag - Combos - 4 min
    -Jump Rope - 30 sec
    -Heavy Bag - Tactics from Bruce Lee video (see Aug 24th entry) - 4 min
    -Push Ups - 3 x 20
    -Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    -Cable Tricep Press (90 lbs) - 3 x 10
    -Cable Curl (60 lbs) - 3 x 10
    -Kung Fu Squats - 3 x 20

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 213 calories, avg heart rate of 115 BPM, max heart rate of 135 BPM.

axelb likes this.
  17. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

(Sigh) Life is getting in the way of my 'Fu. But I had a decent little work out at the gym today.

Then my mother told me I was getting fat.

Go figure.

-Seated Chest Press - 130 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Seated Lat Pull Down - 130 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Preacher Curl - 70 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Tricep Press (cables) - 100 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Seated Leg Extensions - 80 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Seated Leg Curls - 80 lbs - 5 x 5

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 149 calories, avg heart rate of 90 BPM, max heart rate of 150 BPM.
    -30 sec wait between reps. Need to reduce that to 15 so I get more fatigued. Or go up in weight. Or both.

axelb likes this.
  18. InkyTommy

Gym Fu!

After a nice vacation in New Mexico, it was time to shed all those unwanted resort pounds. Thank goodness for all the walking we did! Otherwise someone would have had to roll me into the gym!

Anyway, here's how it all went down;

-Stationary Bike - Moderate Hills - 10 min
    -Incline Chest Press - 135 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Wide Grip Lat Pull Down - 135 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Dumb Bell Curl/Press - 25 lbs (per arm) - 5 x 5
    -Kung Fu Squats - 3 x 20

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 197 calories, avg heart rate of 110 BPM, max heart rate of 137 BPM.
    -Rest between sets was 15 secs. By about the 4th set of every rep...I was feeling it!
    -Thinking I might work the rowing machine or some other type of cardio in there as well...

axelb likes this.
  19. InkyTommy

Gym Fu!

Was planning on hitting the Monday Kung Fu class, but left the office too late. So I went to the gym instead.

Here's how it went down;

-Push Ups - 3 x 20
    -Lat Pull Down - 140 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Cable Curls - 85 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Tricep Press - 140 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Kung Fu Squats - 3 x 20
    -High Heel Kicks - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick - 10/side

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 217 calories, avg heart rate of 110 BPM, max heart rate of 138 BPM
    -REALLY bummed that I wasn't able to jump rope or hit the heavy bag. The Zumba class started early!:mad:

axelb likes this.
  20. InkyTommy

Gym Time!

Finally got to train with the Heavy Bag again!!!!! :D

-Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag - Hand Combos - 3 min
    -Jump Rope - 3o sec
    -Heavy Bag - Hand/Feet Combos - 4 min
    -Jump Rope - 30 sec
    -Heavy Bag - Free - 3 min
    -Seated Chest Press (plates) - 140 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Close Grip Row - 135 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Preacher Curl - 80 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Tricep Dips - 3 x 15
    -Seated Leg Press - 195 lbs - 5 x 5
    -Standing Splits - 3
    -Straddle Splits - 2/side
    -Low Stance Stretch

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 263 calories, avg heart rate of 114 BPM, max heart rate of 138 BPM
    -Rest between weight training sets is 15 seconds. Rest between body weight sets is 30 seconds
    -I seem to be getting stronger in that I can lift higher weight in the exercises...but does that actually translate to "strength gain"?
    -One way to test this should be via a reduced recovery time. That is, the muscles should take a longer time to get fatigued and less time to heal. Guess I'll find out soon enough...

axelb likes this.