Should we stop calling people 'overwieght'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 30, 2012.

1. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Obesity disgusts me in the same way that girls who go out dressed like whores disgust me. And both for the same reason...complete lack of self respect. It's a form of obnoxiousness.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

One of those disgusts me. The other makes for pleasant scenery during a nice stroll down the street. More so in the summer time.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Damn girl... tell it like it is. I'd hate to see the look on your face if you were out and saw a fat whore. :p

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Not wanting to start an argument here, but when I was 26 staying thin was a piece of cake :D no it really was. I wasn't doing more exercise than now, and my diet was a lot worse, and I did more partying. What I'm saying is it's a lot tougher to stay in shape past 35 imo

As to the OP, that misspelling of overweight is really bugging me!

5. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I totally agree, as would most guys over 30 or so. When I noticed, around 31 or so, that I was starting to gain weight I starting watching my diet and going to the gym. Now I'm in better shape than I was I'm my 20s.

You have to change with the change, to bring it back to MA - it's like fighting, you can't get fixated on one method or technique.

6. slipthejab

There is a massive difference between 26 and 35. As I'm sure you know. Things I could shake off like an afterthought at 26 (most injuries, hangovers, time off training, etc.) now take a concerted effort and a whole lot longer to deal with being past 40.

Though what I do find shocking in some sense... is that many of my clients and people I see on a daily basis are in their early to mid 30s. And they are fast headed downhill. I sometimes wonder if they ever had the same 20's that I did. Where I'm at there is definitely a hard partying lifestyle and all the problems that go with that.... late eating... poor eating... skipping training to have drinks etc.

Oddly enough I find the ladies are far more driven to change and stay in a program making changes than the men are. Maybe it's societal pressure to look good or 'fit' or young. But the ladies are the ones who tend to have the long game in mind.

Now when I hear guys like Paul Chek and Polequin talking about fit at 50.... jeebus that's just a hop skip and jump away. I listen. :p

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

well you won't call my overweight friend 'fatty'

fatty is mean!

This I agree with but 'fatty' is an insult. And a lot of kids are overweight cause of their idiot breeder parents. There was a blurb in our newspaper, The Telegram, this evening talking about overweight kids in Canada, and yet more than 58 percent of the parents admit they restrict their kids in outdoor active play because of potential dangers. Blame the idiot helicopter parents, dont go around calling people fatty. Cause the parents are creating the equivalent of henhouse chickens.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Hahaha I've seen plenty of those! In China, they call fat people wearing tight clothes "zhongzi" - which is sticky rice and meat wrapped tightly in bamboo leaves.

DSC01591.jpg

And just to clarify, I have nothing against "out of shape" people....just obese people.

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'll give you the time issue, but I refuse to believe that eating at McD's is cheaper than shopping and cooking. Now if you told me most people are too lazy to learn to cook for squat, I'd be inclined to believe you. :D

10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

BMI can be pretty useful for tracking changes in populations over time, and to some extent between different population groups, but it's largely useless when it comes to assessing individuals. As others have pointed out, we're not a homogeneous bunch. By definition, ~5% of the population will be outside of the "normal" range for each variable that might have a knock-on effect on body composition (assuming those variables follow a bell-curve distribution). Add in people who train a sport and people who have medical problems and you have several sub-groups of people for whom BMI will be inaccurate.

When you measure over large populations, however, these differences tend to average out.

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Firstly if your friend asked me about their body I would tell them they are fat, its just the truth.

I wasnt really talking about kids, though I didnt make it clear. I think the soloution is easy though, tax foods with hydrogenated fats, transfats, high fructose corn syrup and foods high in simple sugars (excluding fruit). Use the tax revenue to subsidise lean sources of protein and vegtables.

Of couse the govt seem to be way behind the times with their food pyramid suggessting we get most our kcal from carbs and harly any from protein. Were more likely to see a tax on all fats which is retarddd. They are already about to tax supplements!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Amen sister, amen.

13. Prodigal Gil

Prodigal Gil Valued Member

In addition to your instinctive rational, some blame could also be attributed to of the food industry. I recall a phase in which I was looking to cut sugar and salt and carbs. It was truly difficult in the supermarket to find any pre-packed food without high salt and sugar content!

Unfortunately, our brain has been trained all these years to love fat, sugar and salt! We indulged in these things. Gone are the days where we need to hunt for food, thus allowing our body to burn fat always. Sitting behind a desk means or in a car, means that we have to allocate time for physical activities. Laziness or not, it is our responsibility to make sure understand our body better.

Imagine if it is a curriculum to have kung fu at school.

Furthermore, it may also be the environmental conditions (weather wise) and culture diet. How many fat people do I see in the tiny province of China? (poverty aside)

Other factors are blamed on society's, especially city life, no time to cook approach. Consumers want to get things quick and for the food available.

Government has done its fair share to promote health, like the Five veg/fruit aday scheme, but to really have great impact, I feel it should be adopted at school level. For example, Jamie Olivier's school meal program in American highlights such.

As for society prejudice, one cannot get away from judgement. Any one not aligned to the norm will be judge and certainly some form of discrimination will also be there.

Good point on the medical conditions. I'll add on to top of that genetics. Some people gain weight easier than others and need to work so much harder.

I am sure I am below average and considered slim in accordance to the British BMI. In Asia, I will probably be obese!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qczf_onion-news-network-obesity_fun

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

As a fat guy I say no. Personally, I can't wait to lose the gut and join in the fat bash. Skinny people won't have immunity from my comments either, FYI.

15. Prodigal Gil

I just call it 糭(Jong) (Cantonese). The picture is really making me hungry now and there is still at least 30mins till lunch!

16. slipthejab

You've pretty pointed out exactly what the problem is..... ;)

17. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

The BMI is a perfectly good tool, which like any tool is exactly as good as the person using it. It's objected to because it's not 100% accurate in each and every case? No simple diagnostic tool is. On wards we use the BMI and the MUST screening tool to quickly determine whether or not someone might need dietetic input, just because it's used atrociously in the media, don't assume it's useless.

18. Prodigal Gil

Not sure if the post is referred to my post, but just in case, and to clarify, BMI is certainly not useless. My point being that the metric is set up against he population weight. Thus, that is dependent on the culture diets. The example I gave about the far east is that most Asians for slim and so the metric will be distorted for those from another country with different diets and population average.

However, you have highlighted correctly that it is an 'Indicator' rather than a precise measuring tool.

19. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

No, it wasn't specifically about you, people have laid into the BMI since the first page of the topic, and I was addressing all of them.

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'd agree with calling fat people names if it wasn't for one thing- calling them names doesn't help them lose the weight. To get to the right weight when you're carrying too much blubber, you need to be highly motivated, and starting off by insulting people is a poor way to build self esteem.