Should I get in the ring?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by budogirl, Jan 15, 2005.

1. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Today was my first real introduction to amateur boxing. I used to spar with a (now ex-) boyfriend - I had all the gear (head guard, gum shield, hand wraps and gloves) and no idea. Having said that, he wasn't an expert either - just heavyweight to my welterweight and 6 feet in height to my 5'5" stature. So the bouts we had at home were not evenly matched. Once I went to punch him in the side and he blocked my punch with his elbow and my hand swelled so bad I had to have a x-ray to check it wasn't fractured.

So, I'm now in with a chance to compete at a novice's boxing championships in a mere 6 weeks and I really don't know if I should. My fitness is okay but could be improved (I'm sure everyone says that). After a 2 minute spar with the ABA coach (and world kickboxing champion) I really don't think I am fit enough for three 1.5 minute rounds. But then again, we are being encouraged to try. My identified weakness was dropping my left hand guard, which meant I got punched in the face twice. So obviously, I will work on that.

The first fight will be at a venue with a crowd of drunk (and cheering) male police officers - should I go for the experience (as it is a novice comp) or should I wait until I have had more training and improved my fitness levels? What would you do??? Any advice appreciated. :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I'd try it. Someone telling you your faults and finding them out yourself are 2 different things. Its not a long fight so your adrenalin will carry you if your fitness lags. When is the fight?

Personally Id go for it....the result will be a good benchmark to train against if nothing else.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats the exact same thing that I lost the British Championships on! One thing I found helped me work on it was to practise in front of a mirror, so you actually see when your hand drops, as I didn't tend to notice it.

Personally, I'd go for it, as you can only ever learn from experience, and you may only look back and think "why didn't I go for it". Bear in mind, if you're a complete novice with little training, and its your 1st time in the ring, you may get hammered. If you can handle that, then go for it. Do it for the experience.

I'm a bit jealous to tell the truth:) I'd love to have a go at boxing, but there's not many clubs round here, and even less that will train women.

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Go for it! I am kind of in the same situation and have been debating it myself(although it isn't a boxing comp). I figure, you only live once, go ahead and try. You've got six weeks to work on stuff, it is an amateur comp - so no huge pressure. Train hard, practice and have fun!

5. Riddick

Riddick New Member

I'd give it a go, mainly for the experience of a competitive fight, plus you would also be able to learn from it. :woo:

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

You can do a lot of work on that guard in 6 weeks! Go for it! Definately.

7. budogirl

Wow, some top responses there, thanks :D
    I do need the encouragement to go for it but obviously I am nervous and because it is a work sports club (and the police at that :eek: ), I am very, very scared!
    Because I am so new and have so little time to train I am sure I will get hammered but then one part of me figures at least that will be my excuse for losing! The experience will either inspire me to train really hard and continue with boxing or frighten me off. Am still undecided...any others with thoughts?

8. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Well like you said, if you do get a good kicking, then it will either make you want to train like crazy so it wont happen again, or just lose interest. if you decide you like it then you could put more time aside to train for the next competition.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Budogirl, if you ask me. That first post sounds like you've already made up your mind :) you just need that little extra encouragement. :D

So I say, go for it! :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  10. budogirl

http://www.met.police.uk/job/job946/live_files/7.htm

Eek, everyone I work with knows about my secret boxing now :D
    I have decided not to fight on this occasion. Didn't want to go in the ring so unprepared and thinking I'd lose. But I'm going to train for next year...and hopefully the 5 million pound development of the Hendon gym (new HQ for ABA) will be finished

11. steven.bradbury

steven.bradbury bradders

only your own mind will tell you what to do.do you feel ready are you fit enough just two questions to ask yourself.Adrenalin will get you through but would that be enough to give you the right result.

12. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

I looked at your pictures and you kicked that dummies ass!!!

ok seriously I say go for it for the following reasons...

1) You will regret it

2) you have plenty time to train

3) It's a win win situation ( you either win and learn something about yourself or lose and learn something about yourslef)

4) Personally I like challenges. And in your line of work I would think you do to.... so train hard and get on that bike and pedal like hell!!!!! good luck!!

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Well, I still think you should go fot it. Sometimes if we wait for the "perfect" time we miss out great learning experiences. But, heck, you know how prepared you are, so train hard for next year! :)

14. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

mrs owt, what time is it in winnipeg? Im in vancouver and its 7:35 am :( <at work>

15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

It is 9:41 here and you are at work on a Sunday? That is too bad... :(

16. budogirl

Thanks for the encouragement again everyone! (By the way JKD_Haduken, I am not in the main picture but in the group pic, the one back left with the bad hair :D )
    I don't feel I have plenty of time to train though - the fight is on 24th Feb and I am a complete novice.
    I find Jujitsu sparring easier than boxing - at least I can kick as well as punch! Plus I have still got to get my head around the fitness training - running. Cycling is good - I do that already - but running kills.
    Anway, I'll still go training, get more into running, watch the fight on the 24th to see what it's like (atmosphere etc.) and then go for it next year.

17. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

If you have decided not to fight then that’s OK. I think you would have done just fine. Remember this is not a pro fight 6 weeks is enough time to be ready. No matter how hard you train you will be burnt out by the first round then go on guts for the next two. This is because of nervous tension. It’s the same with all new fighters. Your coach would and should set your match with someone very near your experience.