Should I do boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Bruce_Lee93, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

driver's license?

2. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Boxing training for fitness improves your speed, strength, flexibility, resistance...

However,boxing can and does have some serious effects on the health because boxers get direct blows to the head. This cumulative effect of damage to the brain can lead to life-threating injuries.

People who have suffered head injuries are more likely to develop Parkinson’s disease than those who have never had head trauma.

3. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Bicycle! That distance really isn't hard on a bike. Just don't get run over.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Bicyle or mo'ped will do the job.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Hold on that's kilometres! That's just under 5 miles. Is that the round trip or each way? Either way if that's putting you off on a pushbike I really wouldn't bother with the boxing.

6. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

not really, but since boxing ends at about 9:30 at night, and there have been several road accidents at night in my area lately, I don't really wanna risk it.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You got a source that shows that?

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Far be it for us as martial artists to hit each other in the head. I mean that would be like taking driving lessons on an actual road, or learning to ride a bike without stabalisers, or learning to play football by actually playing a game of football, or by getting stronger by lifting horrible heavy weights, or by getting better at running by going on runs or by getting good at swimming by swimming lots of lengths, or by learning how to dive by diving, or learning to fly a plane by flying a plane or learning to live by actually living.

Everything worth getting in this life takes effort, and often comes with a certain amount of risk. But if you get the balance right the results are worth it. And if you want to be a fighter, or a martial artist if thats the term you prefer, then 'direct blows to the head' are things that need to be blocked, dodged and parried, and sometimes even absorbed.

9. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

BOXING IS NOT A MARTIAL ART, why is this on a martial art forum?

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[​IMG]

seriously, man, try to learn a bit, and think before you open your mouth

please think of the kittens

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Sometimes not even an epic fail picture will cut it...what to do, what to do....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three just about does it!

12. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

MAP. Always provides some chuckles.

paz,

dormindo

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He's 14 guys

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Psst. Boxing is older than kung fu.

15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''socca''

Actually heading a ball probably does as much damage and occurs routinely in many countries and no one cares...at least with boxing you don't have to pretend when you get knocked on your butt and grimace in pain ;' )

powchoy

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Two things:

1) If a topic area isn't interesting to you, don't click on it. It's simple.

2) YOU ARE WRONG

Stuart

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That tears it. I'm not keeping my mouth shut on your silly Kung Fu threads any more.

18. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Gcollin, the phrase "Martial Art" comes from the Roman god of war Mars, to whom all forms of combat was dedicated. Therefore, because boxing was the only form of hand to hand fighting in Ancient Rome and Greece, other than pankration, it can safely be said to be the 'original' Martial art if anything.

19. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Ahh, missed that originally--makes a little more sense, then. Thanks, Moi.

paz,

dormindo

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about