Should I do boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Bruce_Lee93, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

You seem to be thinking that open handed attacks and punches are completely different in terms of body mechanics, they aren't.

To put it as simply as I can: - boxing will make your palm strikes much harder

So what boxing teaches is extremely important for self defence and sparring a couple of times a week isn't going to give you serious brain damage...any more excuses?

2. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Self defense is not my primary reason for practicing taekwondo. If I were training purely for sd in the real world, a bigger concern to me than polishing my striking skills would be able to handle my adversary without force causing them harm. One could possibly knock somebody out or cause broken bones, but that could lead to all sorts of problems. Evasion and in special situations restraint could be better options in real world sd. That does not only avoid the possibility of being sued or charged for an offense, but also reduces the risk maiming or even killing an adversary.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

WTF

4. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

What you may see as protecting yourself the cops may see assault. Not only that, accidents happen. Landing a good one to the jaw could possibly be the cause somebody's skull to fracture from a fall. Not only would that put you under the microscope of the law, but you'll also have to deal with the internal repercussions If you're somehow found guilty of a crime you would find yourself in an even worse situation. The possibility of facing charges remains even if you don't seriously harm the other person. You might to think of all this the next time you're considering dealing with somebody.

5. Simon

Next time some stupid crack head tries to cave my face in, steal my wallet and abuse my wife I will heed your words and try to get him in an arm bar and ask him to calm down.

6. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

7. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

How did everybody like my cop-out? :D

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I wouldn't advise that , you might accidently hurt his arm. It would be better to just quietly restrain him/them untill the police arrive.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's why God invented shovels

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Well I don't know what I'd do, but I do know what you've just done:

Prove just how silly your little hypothetical Q&A is.

11. Yohan

Seriously dude? That's your objection to punching?

"I don't want to hurt anybody"

But palm strikes and ELBOWS are good to learn? You know how bad an elbow will jack somebody up?

12. Yohan

There's a guy who trains at my gym and is 125 lbs. His boxing and Jiu Jutsu are EXCELLENT. He was hitting me with this 9-2 combination in training on Wednesday I could not time. He'll triangle anyone who isn't seasoned and some people who are. Including me. He's trained with us for less than 5 years and never broken his hands even though he's been in several fights and 1 competition since he started with us.

I would have a rough time taking him out and I'm 190.

13. Yohan

It's hard to land a precisely aimed elbow to the head. It's hard to land a precisely aimed kick to the head. it's hard to throw Ippon Seionage. Why do you think people train anyway?

And why do you think Krav Maga is so great if you don't know anything about it and have never trained it? Did Billy Bob tell you it was awesome?

14. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Small guys are naturally fast. He might be able to tag you well and get you into submission, but I'd rather be punched in the face by a 125 pounder than 190 pounder.

15. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Sometimes what's ideal isn't possible. Gotta have something for backup. My assertion that a closed fist isn't the best striking weapon still stands.

16. Yohan

Best for what?

The closed fist isn't the best striking weapon for what?

17. Simon

Of course it is. As long as you are in punching range it is the most effective weapon. What would you propose to use instead?
    You need the right tool for the right job in what ever range you happen to be in.

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Not that it really matters because you aren't training for self defence...

I dunno, I'm starting to smell troll here, surely no ones this dumb....

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It was my sons primary weapon(s) all through high school. I'm aware of 4 of his fights. Never broken a single bone in his hands and he hits like a steam train. Just got to be accurate.
    Our gym teaches open hand in self defence not only to protect your hand but because a slap doesn't sound as bad as a punch if the courts get involved.
    My wife is tiny with really small delicate hands yet it was me with the broken nose when I really ****ed her off one time. (me ****ing someone off, who'd have believed it?)

20. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Thank You!