Should a gamer (who's average) play everyone they meet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Ok I play C & C red alert 2. On there, all the good players, who i call RA2 blackbelts, say I should play everyone (im an average gamer)

I am not so sure. In karate tournaments, we only compete against people at our own level. They dont make us fight a blackbelt if we arent 1. We only fight the higher belts in practice in our own dojo, and they are teaching, not sparring to win.

I wanted to get your opinion on this, whether you are a gamer or not. I dont care. I'd just like to see what you think: Should gamers play everyone?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The best way to improve is to play those better than you - in martial arts and gaming.

Gaming has no consequences at all to loss so why wouldn't you?

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Isn't this why games have ranked servers? I'll be honest I've never played a strategy game online. Not a fan of the whole meta game thing. But yeah, if you like it then you should. Worse case scenario, you lose and get some douche of a player who insults you in leet. I can't speak about the C+C community but I've heard of thoers that are actually very friendly and are more than willing to give out advice after they beat you.

You can only improve by fighting your betters :)

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, when I play toribash I regularly get hammered by everyone. Still fun though.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

It#s how I've improved, I get my ass handed, then I latch on to players whose skill far exceeds mine, learn from them, then KICK THEM OUT OF THE CLAN j.k. about the last part...

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

just like in the martial arts, the better the competition you go against the better you'll get over time.

7. Blade96

yah but when i do a karate tournament they dont make me compete against a black belt. They want me to fight black belts though in the red alert 2 tournament games. I dont think its fair.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

C+Cs an old game though so what's the size of the community like? Another thing to consider is there might not be many noobish people left playing.

9. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

IMHO, it's worth it to play against anyone. You can learn a lot of new things from by playing against people that are much better than you. Whether it's economy management or how best to hold resources, even if you lose, you'll likely come away from it saying, "I didn't know about *insert here*, I'm going to remember that for next time."

Well, that's my experience from getting obliterated anyway :D Sometimes you'll whip up an insane strategy because you've come up against a strat that is so unorthodox.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Play whoever you want.
    It's something you do for enjoyment. If you don't enjoy playing against people better than you it's pointless.
    If every time I went training I had to spar with Shokei Matsui I'd probably stop going.
    Not because I failed to realise the potential for learning from such an experience but because I woudn't enjoy it if that's all I did.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You do have the option of not participating. Or participating with the acknowledgment that you're at a disadvantage. What's the big deal?

What I constantly reminded myself, back when I played Ultima Online and had time to care one way or the other, was that the people who were very powerful in the game were the ones who were dropping hours and hours on that game and probably (as a consequence) weren't getting a whole lot accomplished in real life.

12. Hannibal

In karate you may get hurt physically going against a higher grade; In the gaming world there is nothing at stake beyond your ego

13. Hannibal

I once said to a WoW douche who was crowing about his abilities that he may have won the battle but I won the war.

When he asked how I worked that out I said "because I know what ladies boobs feel like in real life"

It was childish and petty of me...but I still laughed my ass off when he went scarlett and scuttled off

I don't play WoW anymore :)

14. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Maybe you should karate every one you meet

15. Blade96

ohhhhhh the arrogance I hate that! One game i was playing vs another average gamer. He won :) which was ok.

Now I had let this rank 5 guy (rank 1 being the best) observe the game while we played. And all the while he put us down saying how crap we both are. because he is a rank 5 in a game.

I have him on ignore now after I told him to cut that crap out.

I never treat anyone that way.

16. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

i play C&C generals zero hour and i'm one of the pros, but for a long time i wasn't too good. a lot of the pro players in the community were quite rude and nasty to me in the game, and it can be hard for average players.

go for it though, best thing to do is observe exactly how they play so you can use their strategy, you will get better very quickly, then you can set a good example for other players :) set them on mute or something, if you think or know you can't win then you can still use the match well.

17. Enshadowed

Enshadowed Valued Member

Vs anyone and everyone.

18. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Maybe:

YES: With people more skilled then you you can learn what they are doing different then you and you improve. Or you learn where you went wrong against them and they can show you your sticking points.
    YES:With the same skill you still grow.
    MAYBE: Beneath you... well, that honestly may not do much for you, but if you enjoy it then why not? But there is no rule against it.