Shots to the hip used in SD

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by robin101, May 5, 2014.

1. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Hey guys

When I used to spar quite often, If I took a pushing shot to the hip, I usually got felled like a tree or at least stumbled back a fair amount of distance. And they hurt pretty bad as well. So my question is, why are hip shots not more talked about in self defence situations.

There are certainly shots with the purpose of pain causation, knocking down and making the target less mobile. So why are shots to the hip not really talked about? I know from experience they have all of the above components.

Or ( as is most often the case) am I missing something glaringly obvious. If so I apologise.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It works because it's one of the pivot/choke points on the body.

It's that same as "control the head and you control the body".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecX2RGh_h5o"]EP #02 - Body Routes 1 (Combat Essentials) - YouTube[/ame]

As for SD, well I'm not sure that if a confrontation ever got physical I'd trust my skill enough to slow or stop someone with a hip shot.

There are higher percentage ways of taking someone's balance in my opinion.

3. robin101

good stuff. But i was referering, to kicks and knees to the hip, those were the ones that knocked me right down. I mean even a drop punch to that area would work i think.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Same thing. You're still hitting a pivot/choke point.

A punch to the thigh can have a similar jarring effect.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

A kick to the hip has a high probability of hurting you just as much so when you factor in risk/reward it simply isn't worth it when you can aim a little higher and have a higher success rate of incapacitating someone with minimal damage to yourself.

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Surely that is dependent on the Kick - For instance a Front Kick, executed front on to the Hip is an extremely effective technique, which I have personally used (and witnessed the use of) to fell even the sturdiest of opponents.

...A round Kick however, is a different matter all together, and one that I agree would cause more damage to the Kicker than it would to the target.

Travess

7. Unreal Combat

I could agree with that if you have shoes on. Would be risky barefoot mind.

However I can't see a front kick to the hip being more effective in that regard than a well placed front kick to the abdomen, groin, thigh, or chest.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Depending on the shoes you are wearing a good kick to the shins will work as well. Seriously, look how many footballers (soccer players) are dropped with shin kicks and they roll around in agony.

9. Unreal Combat

Yeah, unless they're a hardened Thai Boxer or Hockey player. :D

Good old steel toe caps should do the job. :)

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I use a front kick to the hip/upper thigh in sparring fairly often. It's one of the ways I keep people from closing distance. I've never gotten hurt from it but I'm also just looking to stop momentum not knocking them down.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

are we talking more like a foot jab? Like a push kick or an actual snap kick? I work on the lead leg push kick quite a bit with my instructor.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

so being a Muay Thai fighter, you yourself would not use a leg kick in an SD situation?

13. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Not if there is an open shot to the ribs!

14. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'm a huge fan of kicks to the hip, a large percentage of my kicks when I spar are front kicks to the hip or just above it. Great for creating distance.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them in SD, but I'd not count on them as a damaging technique. More something I'd use to set up something else (or get enough space to run)

15. Unreal Combat

How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

16. robin101

What i worked quite well a few times, was a knee to the side of the hips, not standing still but comming forward, it hurts because its muscles crunched into bone, and it shifts the opponents whole weight sideways. and that usually means they take a tumble.

17. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I wouldn't recommend any kick going above the waist in a self defense situation there is just far too much risk of it being caught, sure you can see if it's quick enough they won't catch it. But in reality you have no idea of their experience or reactions, so any greater risk is too much.

Round kick to the thigh could be very useful, especially in a leg kick then run scenario.

You should cause enough pain to slow their chase down, you don't need to fight any longer than necessary, and you have no risk of using "excessive force"

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

We use this in wrestling quite a bit. Mainly when the opp is flattened face down and is difficult to grab something to make them turn (to either score points or work the pin).
    So you grab the hips forcing to create space and then you got a gut wrench option.

I was taught a (light) strike to that area for getting through obstructive crowds.
    Sometimes when there's a fight going on or something, you have "looky-loos" or maybe "a friend" getting in the way sometimes deliberately, sometimes unintentionally.
    So they're standing there either deer in headlights look or just being generally obstructive towards you for the sake of it. A quick little finger jab/biu jee to one side of the hip (not both cos that'll just make them go backwards) will kind of force the body to turn, giving you space to push through that person and keep walking through a crowd.

*makes a little more sense if seen in person.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Personally on striking the hip with a punch or kick, I wouldn't go for it. I'm just imagining my knuckle or toe colliding with that bony sticking out bit and something going crunch.

Groin is there..might as well go for a nut punch.

20. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I had a guy sprinting at me once because I punched his buddy in the face. I wanted to do a front kick to his abdomen to stop his momentum, but I missed and hit his hip so he went flying...:p