Shotokan Orange Belt Grading

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shotokantiger9, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shotokantiger9

shotokantiger9 New Member

Hi all,

I recently began Shotokan Karate and this April I will try for my orange belt (unless I am mistaken and another belt colour comes before that) and I am wondering if people who have done shotokan and been through the 9th Kyu grading tell me the things tested - what needs to be known.

If people can do the same thing for other belts past orange as well that would be much appreciated.

2. prowla

prowla Valued Member

You're at the start of a long (and hopefully enjoyable) road...
    Karate starts by taking things back to the basics and teaching you how to walk again, how to move in the specific karate way.
    The aim of the first two or three grades is to demonstrate that you've got the idea.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

A typical syllabus for orange belt will include the following:

stepping punch (oi tsuki/zuki), rising block (age uke), inside/outside block uchi soto uke), downward block (gedan barai), Front kick (Mae Geri).

Kata: Either Kata Kihon/Heian Shodan depending

Kumite: 5 Step kumite - attacks: jodan oi tsuki, chudan oi tsuki, mae geri
    defence: Age uke, soto uke, gedan barai

What association are you with?

4. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

I thought shotokan went white, yellow, then orange.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Depends on the school. The order reliably goes white, green, brown, black - anything in between is pretty much random :)

6. shotokantiger9

shotokantiger9 New Member

I'm with Skif. Thanks very much for the info! :)

7. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'll never forget my pink belt with the rhinestone stripe. Awesome.

8. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

LOL.
    The school that trains in my sports centre has white, red, orange, yellow, green.

9. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

So was mine, but with blue belt between white and red.

Phill

10. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Never seen a blue belt in Shotokan before! Mmmm. Seems like not all styles go through the light to darker colours then.

11. tactonic_grate

tactonic_grate Valued Member

Yep- we had blue belt after white and we attend a Shotokan club locally. White, Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Purple, Purple/White, Brown, Brown/White, Brown/Red, Black.

Guess it depends on the organisation.

Hope your grading goes well!

Paul

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I don't think I ever had an orange belt. I went white, yellow, purple, green, brown, and maybe someday, I'll test for black.
    The first couple tests were all pretty much just demonstrate kata, demonstrate kihon.
    It wasn't until the green belt test in my school that we started fighting as part of a promotion. Fighting very, very hard. Typically against a large number of people. I recall one black belt testing where the testee did five bouts, one of which was against two people at the same time.
    Fun stuff. Fun fun stuff.

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I've never seen a brown & red belt!

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I can remember dying my white belt orange (I hadn't got a Gi when I took my red belt exam so orange was my first belt colour) and ending up with a peach belt for an agonising 3 - 4 months.

15. Anari

Anari Valued Member

Typically....

The more "added" belts to a primary system... is generally directly related to the frequency of rank promotions... which is generally directly to the co$t of said rank promotions... which is generally directly related to the Dojo's profit/loss and the operating bottom line.

The attrition rate in the Martial Arts is astronomical. Extra belts, stripes and the such are sometimes added to keep students interested. It can at times water down the art but often not necessarily the case. Typically there are two times (so to speak) when a dojo sees the majority of the students drop-out, between major rank splits (often divisional splits for tournament competitors).
    (1) Novice (white/orange/yellow) to Intermediate (blue/green/purple)
    (2) Advanced Kyu (Brown) to Dan Ranks.

We promote an annual tournament… it has gotten so bad that we need to divide competitors for bracketing by number of years in training… and still have to ask some of the students to bring over their Sensei to explain the belt standards for their system.

16. Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero That Isshin Ryu guy

The requirements seem to be pretty similer to the Isshin Ryu requirements of orange belt....

We have to know all fifteen upper body basics, all 9 lower body basics (ten, depending on which school you're at), all of Seisan kata, spar for five minutes, and know a bunch of history questions surrounding the art and the grandmaster.

17. tactonic_grate

tactonic_grate Valued Member

They definitely exist :)

Both organisations I have been a member of had Brown/Red as a final step towards black (TASK and TISKA).

Take care,

Paul