棒倒し aka bô-taoshi ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mushroom, May 24, 2011.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ok from what I can figure out..its like 2 teams of 50 each, I team defends a dude on the pole.

The aim for the other team is to get the guy off the pole and replace it with one of them. Its like King of The Hill, Bulldog, capture the flag.

Heres where it gets hazy........whats the rest of the rules?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCYP6YTDAg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪防衛大 棒倒㗠激闘ï¼ï¼ˆã§ã‚‚ã€ãŠå°»ãŒã出ã¦ã‚‹ã…ã€ã€ï¼‰‬‏[/ame]

I'm seeing kicks to the face and the odd punching!

Anyone know much about this game/sport?

And how much more epic it would be if it was all hot chicks doing this?

2. Mushroom

Some good old face stomping on this one

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLb1H26DAII&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪2010年防衛大学校棒倒ã—‬‏[/ame]

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

whats this called haha brilliant.

4. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Great stuff, should make it an olympic sport, get rid of TKD.:whistle:

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Bo-Taoshi or pole pull-down, is a capture-the-flag-like game, played predominantly by cadets at National Defense Academy of Japan, wherein two teams of 75 individuals each vie for control of a single large pole.

One team begins in a defensive orientation respective to the pole, while the other attacks from a position some measure away from the pole once the match has commenced; the attacking team is victorious if it is able to lower the pole (which begins perpendicular to the ground) to a thirty-degree angle (respective to the ground). Until a rule-change in 1973, the angle of victory was only forty-five degrees.

Bo' means the pole standing in the middle of the guys with black pants, and "taoshi" means to put the bar down.

This game is fought by two teams. Each team consists of defenders and offenders. The defenders (black pants) keep the pole standing, defending from the opponents' offenders (blue shirts).

The offenders (red shirts) tackle the other team's defenders (not pictured in the video) in order to put the opponent's pole down. If one team succeeds to beat the pole quicker than the other, then it wins.

This game is typically played at annual sports festival at high schools.

If a guy intentionally play violently in the game, he will be socially excluded from other students and/or stigmatized for bad behavior for a certain period(can be years). In Japanese collectivist culture, it is a heavy punishment.

Since we all know the risk of such punishment, we somehow restraint ourselves. I am sure that the guy in the top control himself not to kick so hard... even though it is not always successful. In fact, I have never heard that someone was damaged heavily in the game. http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=7716

Enjoy :' )

powchoy

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wasn't this posted the other day?

Nice to find out a little bit of background though

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. Mushroom

Was it? Completely missed that then :p

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

This is the only team sport that is completely designed with equal opportunity awesome in mind. Ain't no one above a butt kicking in it. :D