sever, infrazael & iamraisen: prophets of doom

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by iamraisen, Oct 26, 2004.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

this is the new section for music that is as heavy as..

death, doom, extreme, grind, black, whatever kind of metal takes your fancy.

5 bands that really do it for me regardless of what mood im in are(in no particular order);

cephalic carnage
    cryptopsy
    necrophagist
    meshuggah
    hate eternal

2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Some of my favorites -

Deathmetal - Amon Amarth (Swedish Viking/Pagan band, my personal favorite DM band), Six Feet Under (raw death), Cannibal Corpse (raw death), Nile (Egyptian-themed death), Shadow's Fall, Lamb of God.

Melodic Deathmetal - Children of Bodom (very good M.D. band), Buried Dreams (Mexican M.D.), Soilwork, Opeth (believe).

Black Metal - Cradle of Filth, Immortal, Deicide

Symphonic Black Metal - Dimmu Borgir, not too great in the S.B. area myself

Epic Doom Metal/Doom Metal - My Dying Bride, Mastodon

Dream/Gothic Metal - Nightwish, Epica, Flowing Tears, Lacuna Coil, Trail of Tears (note all female vocals, these bands are amazing).

Pure Gothic - Rasputina is the only one I know, LOTs of cello.

Metalcore - Killswitch Engage, Machine Head

Industrial-Deathmetal - The Berzerker (Rammstein is not deathmetal, but they are good)

Trash-Death Metalish stuff - Chimaira

{snip} deathmetal WANNABE bands: Disturbed, Slipknot, Godsmack, Breaking Benjamin, etc, etc, etc. All this {snip} you hear on the radio.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2004
  3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

3rd member of this unholy trinity reporting for duty :cool: *breaks out the mullet wig, cutoff denim jacket and Manowar T-shirt* DEATH TO FALSE METAL! *Ahem*
    First some of my favourite gothic metal/ ambient metal/ doom bands: My Dying Bride (already covered by Infrazeal but they need mentioning twice because they're amazing, especially live), early Theatre of Tragedy ("Velvet Darkness they Fear" is probably their best), Sins of thy Beloved, Anathema (up to "Judgement", after that they're bad Radiohead wannabes), Paradise Lost (they got very goth and less metal after "Draconian Times" but I still like them), Katatonia, Moonspell, The Gathering, Cult of Luna, Within Temptation, Darkwell. This is probably my favourite genre of music and it's very wide, boundary wise. Cult of Luna, for example, are heavier than a lead lined box of elephants, while Lacuna Coil are softer and sound quite beautiful
    Black metal/ symphonic metal: Emperor, Satyricon, Rotting Christ, ...And Oceans and Arcturus are my favourite bands of this genre. This is probably the heaviest style of music on the planet, and is filled with very intelligent bands, however it's also been known to be pretty controversial with murders in Norway between bands, church burnings, highly questionable politics and constant use of satanic imagery. Today, I like to think the bands from this style of music are a bit more intelligent and don't deliberately court controversy in order to make a name for themselves, but then you see idiots like Dani from Cradle of Cack :woo:
    Goth. Not exactly metal, in fact, most of it's electronica these days, but it's doomy, so I'm going to mention a few bands. Personally, I don't like Rasputina. However, I do like Bella Morte, the Last Dance, Diary of Dreams, Seraphim Shock, Switchblade Symphony, Clair Voyant, Children on Stun, Collide, as well as older bands like the Sisters of Mercy, the Cure, Fields of the Nephilim and Rosetta Stone. And here's a personal peeve: The Rasmus, Evanescence, HIM and Good Charlotte. These bands are not goth. They're just not. They're teenybopper pap
    Industrial (Again not metal, but some of it's very hardcore): Dismantled, Leaetherstrip, Gridlock, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Frontline Assembly, Lexincrypt, Android Lust.
    Whoo, that's a pretty long list, should keep anyone interested in this sort of music going for a while

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

cult of luna are excellent, a great choice there sever! u like isis and neurosis too- very similar style and obviouly a big influence on cult of luna?

bezerker are funny as hell- did a mean cover of carcass's 'corporal jigsaw quandry' on dissimlulate.

any of you guys heard of labrat? they are a great band, seen them loads. definately check them out if you can. anyone with song titles such as 'clint eastwood is very hard, innit?' has to be great :D

also worth checking out if you like black industrial metal are aborym. their album 'with on human intervention' is simply stunning mixing the aforemention genres with drum and bass type grooves in sections.

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I do like Neurosis, actually. I saw them a few years ago, can't believe I forgot them! I can see the Isis influence a bit on Cult of Luna, but I'm not a big fan of theirs, to be honest
    There are about 1001 bands called Labrat, but I've heard a couple that were very impressive
    Also for dark ambient/ industrial noise, try Scorn, Brighter Death Now or Randy Grief. Some of the most tormented sounds ever committed to CD. "Necrose Evangalicum" is currently on Winamp

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Should we make an encyclodpedia on the differences between the various genres and subgenres of Metal???

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

No, it'll take all year! Plus, the genre-borders are so blurry anyway, with bands crossing over and stuff so it'd be quite hard to do. Basically, all the bands we've mentioned are either a) dead heavy or b) very dark or c) dead heavy AND dark! :D

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

You realize that most of these bands, regardless of location, usually sing in English???

Lol.

PS - anyone heard "Fate of Norms" yet??? I really think it's Amon Amarth's best CD yet, with even more lyrics about the Northern Gods.

9. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Hey, mind if I join in? I'm a big fan of extreme metal.

I love the berzerker, I can't wait for them to come England again. If you havn't seen the DVD yet, it's definatly worth the money.

I saw Amon Amarth at Wacken this year and they played a track off their new album. It feckin ruled. I almost bought the CD while I was in Norway but I went for a copy of Sepultura's Chaos A.D (which also rules).

My top 5 extreme bands have to be:

1. Decapitated
    2. The Berzerker
    3. Nile
    4. Behemoth
    5. Children of Bodom

Generally there is very little in the extreme music world that I dislike. Except maybe: Lamb of God, Chimera, Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed. The last three just sound like Pantera with less talent (and less guitar solos).

10. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Another fan of Nile!!!

Those guys rock as well, lol.

11. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Hehe yep. I saw them in London a while ago, totally amazing. Those guys are off the scale (and Karl Sanders seems like such a cool bloke to).

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Just curious, do they worship the Egyptian pantheon like how Amon Amarth worship the Asagods???

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Sorry for ummm...jumping in here, but I feel something is missing here...

Infrazel,

I find it odd that you would Cradle of Filth and Deicide black metal and you would consider Cannibal Corpse death metal, when I would classify Danzig as black metal and Cradle of Filth and Deicide as death metal.

I also didn't see Sleep listed or Morgoth.
    No Fear Factory as industrial metal?
    No Morbid Angel as death metal?
    No Samael as death metal?
    Type O Negative?
    Entombed?
    Sepultura?
    Tiamat?
    Iced Earth?

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Ok Ok, we haven't listed EVERY SINGLE BAND there is, but we will eventually. . . don't worry LoL.

I classify Deicide and Cradle as Black Metal becasue they are the satanic/gothic-themed/synthetic-inspired bands. They fit the definition of Black Metal, while Cannibal Corpse and such is just raw hatred with no real "black/gothic/satanic" them to it.

PS - I swear, Buried Dreams is one of the best melodic Deathmetal bands I've heard in a long time - listen to Necrosphere, their newest CD I believe (i might be wrong). They're Mexican, those guys, you can tell my their music. It's great.

Also, Lamb of God, Fear Factory, and Children of Bodom are actually playing in Seattle right now!!! Pity I'm not there. . . . ....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  15. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Cradle of filth is blatently black metal. It's just bad black metal. There are no keyboards or face paint in death metal (well maybe a few keyboards in some of the gothenburg 'melodic' DM). Deicice is definatly death metal, no keyboards, chugging guitar parts. They were one of the original florida death metal bands. You don't get black metal from florida.

No. The egyptian pantheon is extremely complex. It changed a huge amount over it's 2000 year existance and was very politically motivated (just look at akhenaten). Often there would be different pantheons ruling similtaneously depending on where you are in the country. It would be near impossible (and downright mad) to try and worship the egyptian pantheon today.

EDIT: If you still don't understand the difference between black and death, go here

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  16. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i gotta agree with choconutjoe on this one. decide = death, CoF = bad black

im a big decapitated fan. i got winds of creation (the song) on mp3 from earache as an early release, then went on to buy the album. ive got nihility too, but its slightly oer-rated in my eyes, especially compared to winds of creation. however saying that, spheres of madness is one of the best tracks to dance to in the world EVER!

any of you guys like bolt thower? got to be one of the best death metal bands from the late 80's/early 90's. they were one of the first death metal bands i liked! 'war master' is one of my favourite albums ever :D

i think we hav a few new prophets of doom anyway! welcome to our on little sub-community :cool:

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Exactly, the more the merrier. :)
    I don't think we'll ever get around to listing every band of every genre, but we'll try and list all the ones we like! Our intention is to give people interested in this sort of music a starting point/ directing them to other bands worth checking out that they may not have heard. I didn't mention Fear Factory because, although I loved "Demanufacture," I don't like anything they've done since. Type O Negative are a strange band: each album, they have a couple of great songs, then just fill the rest of the album up with sub-par songs and naff sound effects which break up the flow. Bolt Thrower were a band I really liked when I was younger, I kind of lost interest in them though. I don't really like old death metal any more, I go for more of the melodic death stuff like In Flames, Arch Enemy etc. Listening to Tristania at the moment

18. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i really liked wages of sin by arch enemy, but i didnt like the recent one they released. i borrowed it off a friend and couldnt get into it at all. not a huge in flames fan either!

i agre with you about type o negative though. my girlfriend is a huge fan, and dont get me wrong they have done some classic songs, but i could never by an album for the very reason you mentioned earlier

any cephalic carnage fans out there?

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

My Ex is a huge Morbid Angel fan, while I'm not too keen on the entire Satanic theme. Being Pagan myself, I see that as stupid and downright demoting to the rest of the "gothic" society.

Anyways, not too keen on In Flames myself. A little too soft for my tastes when it comes to Deathmetal.

BTW - Nice site Coconut. Pity they didn't explain Doom Metal.

20. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

If you look under the 'styles' section they catagorise doom as a sub-genre of heavy metal. The logic behind it being that it was black sabbath who created heavy metal, and then later sabbath moved on and started doom metal. see here

What have you got against satanism? I've got some good freinds who are satanists.