Serial Killers

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by waya, Mar 26, 2004.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

Today, Wichita Police received a letter from a local newspaper that is now confirmed to be from a serial killer who was in the area from 1974 to 1986. Unfortunately, he has returned.

Here is a link to the local and MSNBC coverage
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4604032/
    http://www.wichita.gov/News/Announcements/03-25-2004a.htm

Given the fact that this type of person is "always" around, should we train with it in mind all the time, especially when teaching self defense classes to women?

Rob

2. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

I think in the case of serial killer the best self defense is a 9mm. But self defence training for this kind of thing wouldnt hurt a bit. Id imagine any MA training would help in situations like that, maybe some style would be more effective than other but all would be more effective than knowing nothing at all.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Serial Killers are predators and the best possible defence against them is to teach awareness and avoidance of their tactics.

Most will use a deceptive cover story before pouncing - Bundy was a prime exponent of this approach. In many cases even the often quoted 9mm defence will not be a lot of use - Zodiac used to just walk up and shoot giving little chance to react with a gun/punch/kick or anything else. Exercising caution in daily activities is the best way.

John Douglas has written some excellent books on the subject and are well worth a read.

4. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Thats a good point Hannibal. I was thinking more of like a murderer breaking into your home type of situation. I think this "Exercising caution in daily activities is the best way." is good advise.

5. abby

abby New Member

i read about that in the paper! front page news. (i'm in Salina). kind of freaky...

6. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Nail On The Head Award to Mr. Hannibal.

7. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

mhh?

So you'd use a 9mm for a burglar. What about in britain? We're not allowed to shoot intruders! Have any of you Yanks heard of the english farmer who shot a gypsie with a shotgun and got put in prison. If you dnt know what a gypsie is, there basically a group of people who move into an area with all their animals and stuff, and pretty much are thieves (stereotypical, i know) but thats what the gypsie was doing to the farmer.

Intrestingly enough, in britain for self defense you are allowed to squirt fairy liquid in the intruders face, shoot them below the knee with a crossbow (old habbits never die huh?) or go crazy with a frying pan.

8. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I didn't follow the case but I heard that it wasn't a spur of the moment decision, which might have been slightly more admissable, but rather that the guy had actually pre-meditated the shooting, which is obviously a much more serious charge.

9. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

What do you mean? that the intruder was subdued and then the farmer got his gun and shot him? i'm sure that didn't happen, the gypsie i beilive had a baseball bat, he also had a partner with him, who escaped un harmed.

10. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I mean that (as I heard it) the farmer had run into these lads before and had planned to get even if they returned. I don't know if he meant to actually kill anyone, but it got out of hand and the kid ended up dead.

Anyway, I don't really think shooting a young lad with a 12 bore is the best way to keep him off your property.

11. Hannibal

He shot him in the back...several times. As he was running away. That was where his claim of "Self-Defence" fell down and his actions became retributive.

12. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Agree entirely.

13. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Your right, You still gotta drag his body off.

14. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Does anyone else see the irony in someone with the pseudonym, Hannibal, commenting on a thread called serial killers? :eek: :p

15. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

i call that "murder" :woo:

i wonder where's Jason Vorhees :D

16. Hannibal

Not as ironic when you look at what my job is :D

now if you'll excuse me i have a nice chianti to sip...pthpthpthpthpthpth

17. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

LMAO!

Uh, you wouldn't happen to work the east end, like say the Whitechapel area? :eek: :D

18. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

It works though.

David :woo: