Seido

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Thephenom52, May 19, 2010.

1. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

Hiya,

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about the style of karate known as 'Seido.' I came across the schools website (specifically the location in Chiswick, london) and have been quite intrigued by what i've read.
    Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks:)

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

All I know is that it's a Kyokushin offshoot (generally a good thing) and that various K1 fighters, including Andy Hug, did/do it.
    Well worth a punt I'd say. :)

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Seems like a modern karate style with goju and Kyokushin influence. says they don't spar till senior rank though... thats a turn off for me personally.

probably lots of kata and drills.

from youtube they seem quite into their breaking.

If it was me I'd most likely not bother. Depends what you want from training and what your motivation is though. Can't hurt to try them out and see what you think.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I read that this group in particular no longer include knockdown sparring in their curriculum... that may reduce the kyokushin effect somewhat :(

5. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

Depends whether it's Seido Juku or Seidokaikan

The first is the style of Tadashi Nakamura and by all accounts more spiritual, the second more K1 type fighting and training.

If in doubt, take a trial class, as no doubt even the flavour as described above varies from dojo to dojo.

Gary

6. sean2000

sean2000 New Member

It's Seido Juku not Seidokaikan.
    Seido Juku has a spiritual aspect to it but fighting is still definitely a big part of the system.
    Generally sparring classes are for 5th kyu and above so if you want to fight straight away then it may not be for you.

7. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

If they don't let you spar within the first three months then you'll be wasting time. Find another school.

That goes for any martial arts, whatever type of sparring they use, from push hands to boxing. If you can't apply what the arts teaching you then its pretty pointless. Assuming you're training to defend yourself and not just for health.

8. Thephenom52

I have to say that I don't agree with this (though I'm not saying you're wrong). I think that there is (or at least should be) an initial period of learning and understanding the 'why' as opposed to simply throwing your arms ad legs about. Why am I throwing a punch this way? Why am I moving this way? I think the understanding of 'why' leads to further questions which, when answered, leads to better understanding- turning a pupil into something greater.

BTW- Thanks guys, for the replies so far. They're all very much appreciated.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Depends what you call "sparring". You should be doing partner drills from day 1, but free sparring should be phased in, in my opinion.

10. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I define it as a contest against a fully resisting opponent. So boxing, chi sau (proper chi sau that is, not the drills), kick boxing, push hands, wrestling, grappling etc etc.

I completely agree it has to be phased in, but even students who take awhile to learn should be fully able to spar lightly after three months at the most. I'd say most people should be ready after about a month.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

The thing is sparring is something that shows you better than anything else why you throw a punch in a certain way, or try to move smoothly, or keep your hands up after you punch. Or that sticking your chin up is a bad idea.

Its so easy to get into bad habits without sparring, I honestly think training for longer than about three months without ever testing what you're learning it likely to be detrimental if anything.

I'm talking from experience, I trained for a solid year and a half before I ever sparred.

12. Thephenom52

Where is it you're training?

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Currently? I'm going boxing in Oxford and going to a local kickboxing/combatives club in Brackley.

www.omaa.org.uk and www.bfmaa.co.uk

When my knees better I'm getting back into MMA ASAP, not sure quite where yet though.

Then though, when I went the first eighteen months of training sans sparring, I was at a 'white crane kung fu' school in Park Royal thats long closed. It wasn't proper white crane, or proper martial arts in general!

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What's OMAA like? Being in Oxford I see plenty of ads for it, but it's always struck me as a little beltmillish. Not quite sure why though. Maybe just bad first impressions?

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yeah its definitely got that element. I know exactly what you mean.

I've just done the boxing classes which are decent, though they aren't ABA acedited yet so no fights. Though they are trying to become a member so hopefully that'll change soon.

I've got a friend who does the thai boxing and she says thats very good, looks like a serious set of guys and girls who train in it and they do various competitions.

Mark Weir teaches MMA at the weekend which is pretty cool, hope to go along to that once my knees up to it.

The place ain't cheap though!

16. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

That's another thing I heard!