searching disabled

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by succubus, Mar 22, 2006.

1. succubus

succubus so hot right now

when looking for all new posts i just got an error message saying "searching has been disabled".

eh?

2. succubus

never mind. it works now.

odd.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Handy tip: When this does happen you can search MAP from Google by suffixing your search criteria with " site:martialartsplanet.com" See my pretty picture below.

As an added bonus, you can also use this to search MAP for words with three letters and less. :)

Attached Files:

4. succubus

yeah. doesn't really work for the "new posts" search though. :p

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Damn! Oh well. *Wanders off looking discouraged*

6. succubus

argh. she's doing it again. :p

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

hmm yes, its a big problem!!!! :bang:

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

The server is too busy....bear with the Mods and Admins ..

join MAP supporters to upgrade the server and stop this annoyance !! :cool:

9. succubus

ohhhh. i see. :)

i would join, but have no credit card (and i don't think South Africa does PayPal anyway, or it didn't the last time i checked).

10. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i've been getting this problem on and off since last night...

Can supporting members search the site with none of the problems non-subscribers get?

is this being done on purpose to attract more supporting members? *tongue in cheek*

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

A few others have mentioned that, but I don't know either.

12. Incredible Bulk

i just find it hard to believe that its suddenly gone belly up, no posts from admin or anything...

i can see the admin saying "but if you subscribe and pay £10, you will help to remove this problem"...

its not like they are holding a gun to our heads and forcing us to pay or anything, i like MAP as a place for info and to shoot the breeze. I contribute to any posts i can, i just have better things to spend £10 on...

if the server goes down on other web forums its up to the admin to cough up for a new server etc, or risk losing members. The members help contribute by being here, otherwise advertisers would prefer to advertise elsewhere.

I think its a plain clitch with the server, things will be up and back to normal soon. But... that little niggling thought that this is part of something else :p

13. Incredible Bulk

:bang: :bang: :bang:

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That plain glitch that TKD Guy speaks of is MAP being too big for the server.

Too many members and too much stuff means high server load - that message you keep getting.

I have been on MAP for around 10 minutes today and am annoyed with the error messages already. However, I know that Saz and I are looking for ways of reducing the problem and some of these have been implemented.

One is disabling searching when the server load is high. It wont do enough to stop the rot entirely, but it should stop the server from bursting into flames.

The other main one is Subscribed Members (as has already been mentioned in this thread). Last time I looked, we had around 50 "Elite" members who had paid their £10 (or equiv.) making £500. That is less than half of what we need to get a new server and thus say bye-bye to the nasty error screens for a while.

If anyone complains about seeing the errors, the response from me will be to tell you to put your hand in your wallet and help us to get rid of them!

A tip - if you are sick of loosing your post because of the load problems, copy the post into Notepad or whatever in case it isnt sent :)

15. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

The messages are applicable to all members paying or not.

I've suggested turning off avatars or reducing the guest slots when the server load is up, i don't know how do-able it is though.

:)

16. Incredible Bulk

trim the database in the off topic area... just leave 2 pages

think of how many posts that are not MA related :confused:

17. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

The one bummer I miss is "New Posts" being disabled as a result of searching disabled. If there was a way to disable searching but still allow the "New Posts" feature to work, that'd be great.

I just signed up for the subscription... that's another US$17.40 towards the server upgrades. :) It's like anything else on this forum... it's a community, we receive from it, we must also give back something. :)

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hopefully this is a temporary measure.

I had to implement restriction of searches and the Server load limit last night. The sheer amount of people accessing MAP at once is causing the server resources to go through the roof. The other night, MAP (and other sites hosted with it) went offline a few times because of this. To get it back, we had to reboot the server, only for it to happen again about 20 minutes later.

The messages and restriction of searches will only kick in when the server load gets too high.

So far I have mangaed to control it, even though its a pain. I understand its a annoying, and i'm sorry, but until I get it sorted out more permanently, its this or no MAP at all. I spent all last night trying to fix this, and guess what I'm spending all tonight doing... :(

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've added a bunch of stuff to robots.txt (the file that says what search engines should list).

This could take a couple of days to kick in, but it might help. Can people use this thread to let me know if it does?

20. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

TBH, I can't think of anything better that lasts a year and costs £10. :)

The admin make this site for us really, and they do it for free. The new server costs over £1000. You can't seriously expect the admin to cough up that much?!