Sanchez Vs Alessio

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Lithanwif, May 29, 2006.

1. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Anyone think we was robbed?

One of the judges even scored it 30 - 27...eh?

Okay Sanchez shot a lot, but he didnt manage it successfully, Allessio didnt follow the jab, but it did do some damage. And his takedown defence was great.

And the standing attempt at an armbar using his own head as a fulcrum....inspirational!

Just feel a bit robbed by it, Even sherdog had it 29-28 Allessio. Eddie Bravo had it 29-28 Sanchez.

Just proves the Maxim....

Never leave it to the judges.

2. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I would have scored it 29-28 sanchez. Allessio showed he could defend, but he had almost 0 offense. The punches at the end of the 3rd secured the sanchez victory. If allessio wants to win he needs to take a lot more risks and actually come out and attack.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Highlights a problem with judging. Takedowns are scored and imo they shouldn't be unless they end in a slam. If they are to be scored then takedowns and takedown defences should be considered equal.

Takedowns (and takedown defences) in themselves only dictate where the fight takes place - they don't do anything to end the fight in themselves (slams excluded of course) so shouldn't be included in scoring...

While Alessio had great takedown defence he had nothing beyond his jab and Sanshez was clearly the agressor - and agression is (afaik) one of the criteria the fights are judged on.

Also as a TUF winner, Sanchez is a UFC golden boy and is not really going to lose a close decision...

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Personally I had it 29-28 Alessio, giving Sanchez the last round. This could be due to really not liking Sanchez
    I do often think that UFC judges tend to give the fight to the guy they've heard of if the decision's close (Horn/ Prangley, anyone?) though

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Honestly I don't see how Alessio could complain..he went into a total defense mode and just flicked his jab out there doing little damage.

He did cut him but I doubt Diego was hurt.

This is a result of Diego actually trying to win while Alessio was trying not to lose.

6. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i thought the fight was a draw until the last 3 minutes. why a draw? diego was aggresive, but only slightly effective and alessio was passive but more efficient and equally as effective as diego--not very.
    mma is not boxing so a victory shouldn't be granted due to an ok jab.

7. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Sounds like most peeps are agreeing with me.

Sanchez did do more work, but really to throw all three rounds at him is a joke. Scoring takedowns that go nowhere is laughable too.

8. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I don't think either of them deserved to win, it should have been a draw. Although if i had to pick one to win, it would be Sanchez because he went for it more.

You can't win a fight by simply defending takedowns and throwing a few jabs.

9. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

i have to agree, neither deserved to win, they should have another round like they do in K1,

10. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

yeah, but then I guess thats why they have a three and five round system. Very hard to score a draw.

I felt that Sanchez won, but not by three rounds.

11. stump

stump Supersub

Yeah - slightly off topic but something I'll never understand about most combat sports is their absolute phobia about draws. If no one person has a significant upper hand in a bout and both comptetitors make it to the final bell it shuld be scored a draw. They may not be the funnest things in the world but they're a hell of a lot better than bitching about the judges after close decisions.

There would have been few people complaining if Sanchez/Allesio was scored a draw - if would have been a very fair call.

12. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

What was going on in Sanchez's head? :confused:
    "Hmm...he has slipped the last ten takedown attempts I've made, so I think I'll try it again" :rolleyes:

I loved Alessio walking over to his corner with Sanchez still on his back to get instructions on how to get Sanchez off his back. :D

13. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I was both annoyed and was suspicious about ths score. Maybe the judges look differently at Sanchez because he was in the Ultimate Fighter.

14. freak

freak Valued Member

i don't think Allessio was robbed at all, all he did was defend against deigo and didn't put up any offence, and those times that sanchez landed something prolly won him the fight...it was quite a boring fight, dissapointing PPV overall....UFC 58 was the best PPV recently, i hope ufc 61 will be good