San Shou Anyone?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I recently competed. My advice would be to work on hitting hard and keeping quick on your feet. Two things I didn't. I guess if you are coming from a Kickboxing background you should spend some time on setting up and executing takedowns.

2. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Fought once, trained a bit. Get your conditioning, boxing and low kicks sorted. Spar lots - there is no substitute.

Is your background kung fu or kickboxing?

Regarding throws - if you dont ave a basis in them, I'd work on dropping your base and sprawling to counter them rather than trying to develop throws yourself

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Thread merged with the one you started earlier this year

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

get used to pulling your kicks away quicker, one thing I have noticed going from this ruleset to practising with people who don't is they leave their leg out long enough for me to grab and go in for a takedown.

and learn to sprawl also :)

what clinching rules are you used to? Most sanshou is about 5 second clinch before they break you up.

5. TheSandaPanda

TheSandaPanda New Member

I train Sanda, but I don't fight in it. So my input doesn't have a base in direct personal experience.

But... I do train in Submission Grappling/MMA as well as Judo, so I have some concept of takedowns and the like.

As someone else mentioned, the key to answering your question is dependant on what background you're coming from. You know, since it would be easier to go from MT to Sanda than from Tai Chi to Sanda.

If you're familiar with takedowns and/or shooting, I would recommend practicing shots as a counter to punches. That is to say, dropping levels allows you to avoid the punches, and its very hard for your opponent to defend against said takedown if he's busy swinging at where you just were. Of course timing is key.

If you feel confident in the clinch, in terms of takedowns, then you should be in pretty good shape for that aspect of the game.

If you come from a grappling background, keep in mind that Sanda takedowns/throws are more about slamming your opponent than taking them to the floor and getting a dominant position. From bodylocks and such, just lifting someone up and hurling them at the mat does wonders. Its simple and ugly, yet effective and spectacular. But yeah, try to hurt your opponent with the throws; they can really wear someone down.

If you're not so familiar with grappling and more of a striker, plenty of good advice has been given on that.

As has been mentioned, work on dropping levels so you can stuff shots and sprawl and all of that good stuff. Work on making sure you have an underhook in when someone shoots on you. Make sure that you can break clinches. The easiest way to that I can think of breaking dominant clinches is posting your hands on the persons chin, shoving their head away, and sagging your hips back. Anyone can remember that.

Also, bring your kicks back quickly.

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Entry level San Shou on April 5th

For anyone interested, the anual Chinese MA festival will be held in Oxford on April 5th.

It includes a great entry level San Shou event, you just get one fight, nothing to win or lose apart from the fight, no trophy no title etc.

People are matched by weight and experiance so miss matches are rare.

You dont need to be in Kung Fu, or San Shou....any one can fight, no need to be part of any association even!

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Cool - an open event is a much better idea

8. shift

shift Valued Member

Where is Oxford?

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

England, UK in this case. Best known for its University I would say.

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Is this run by a guy called Dan Doherty? If so, I think me and my instructor are going.

11. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

No, it's not run by a guy called Dan Doherty. It's run by the Dan Docherty!

Would be a good one for u to go into, tell em your a beginner.

12. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Awesome, yeh we are getting ready for this.

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Cool, how many guys are you bringing? Do you know the rules as they are not posted yet and they are not international SS rules?

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I guess it's just me and my coach. I'm not sure if he's fighting but he's usually game.

I have no idea about the rules, I assumed they would be typical Sanda techniques allowed or do you just mean the point system will be different?

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

16. legkicker

legkicker Valued Member

there are plenty of full contact clubs in the country, what a pity outsiders to the BCCMA are not allowed to take part :(

17. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Or, on the other hand, why dosen't some other org run a sanshou event?

You can't blame the BCCMA for running events only for it's own paying members and protecting its right to reqresent the UK internationaly.
    What I do object to is the use of that international status to hound other people out of sanshou (read further back in the thread).

Again, anyone can do Oxford, and you can be matched by skill level so its a good way in.

18. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Actually, I pretty much do blame the BCCMA for this - if you hold national representative status, you should be looking to develop the sport, not protect your own little fiefdom. And that means encouraging people in. You can't buy personal BCCMA membership, so you have to join one of their clubs (and there aren't that many)

Look at the results tables for national sanshou competitions they've held - plenty of weight categories without even a enough competitors to fill the podium - which is rubbish.

And according to the website it's been months since they even generated a newsletter, let alone any actvity to 'gasp' increase the nu,ber of active participants in the sports they supposedly lead.

(Yes, I am angry!)

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Well, the last time I went to one (mid last year) I got there at 12.30pm and left at about 4-5pm ish and there were plenty of fights that I missed by being late and plrenty that I missed by leaving early! I think there are only problems in the womens events and the extream ends of the mens-very heavy and very light.

20. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

It is true. I am technically the silver medalist for the BCCMA British championship at under 70kg despite not winning a fight :p