San Shou Anyone?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I figured I'd give the Kung Fu forum a break for this one. :p

Any of you Kickboxers ever compete in San Shou (Chinese Kickboxing) IF not, do you wish to ever compete under the rules of San Shou? Have any of you seen a bout of it?

2. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Competed in it once. Got battered, but that was more about my lack of preparation that anything.

It is a great style and good to watch BUT in the UK the only competitions are run by the BCCMA. This means that only members of BCCMA clubs can fight, which means only a few clubs can take part (those that teach kung fu and full contact) and as an organisation the BCCMA is not very impressive. They also seemed to stifle an independant sanshou promotion which did 'fight nights' (evening shows with production values as opposed to sports hall tournamnets)

So, in the UK at least, I guess the sport is moribund. Good circuit in Europe though.

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Just started training in it and liking it a lot

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I really, really want to do some amateur san shou. I feel like the pads and short rounds would make it a bit less dangerous than other forms of kickboxing, and I love takedowns.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

bigreddog, why was it difficult and such? Could you give us a more detailed version of your bout.

I love Sanshou! Now that I'm studying CLF (and with my previous MT experience) I hope to be good in it.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I've not trained in it properly, but some of the guys I train kickboxing with and I have been incorporating throwing and takedowns into our sparring recently to switch things up a bit. It's certainly a lot of fun and makes you reassess certain aspects of your sparring style since there's another aspect to be thinking about

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Are you considering ever competing in Sanshou?

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

My biggest problem was lack of conditioning - I got nailed early on with a very good leg kick and spent the rest of the fight dragging that leg around. FWIW the guy who beat went on to win the whole tournament handily.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'd definitely have a go if there were an open competition in the area coming up, yes, but it's not something you see much around here

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Oh I see. What ruleset do you usually train under? Is it Full Contact? Cause I could see how training in FC that you would keep getting kicked in the leg like that/

11. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I was training K1 rules at the time - the conditioning was fitness and not enough rounds sparring - I started slow, and the first kick was the classic dead leg. After that it was too slow to block the next few.

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ouch. Ever think about competeing again?

13. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I'm not a member of any BCCMA club anymore, and probably won't be for a while. Plus I'm 34, and sanshou has an age limit of 35 in the BCCMA.

I still like to think I might go for a kickboxing bout, but whether I do or not depends on how brave I'm feeling.

14. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Nope, I'm 34 too and can tell you that the age limit is 40. Its only 35 for international fights.

LOL I thought I was the only person in the world ever to rant about that? What the BCCMA did to Barbera Antonioni (Spelling?) and her sanshou uk permotion was disgusting! I did about 9 fights with Barbera.

She ran a great fight night, she put up fighters from out side the kung fu community and the fights tended to be intense. She put up kick boxers, Thai boxers and we even had Royce Gracie turn up to watch one event!.....now all we have is small BCCMA events in schoolhalls. The last BCCMA fight I did last year, they didnt have enough to put 3 people of equl weight together so had to mix catagorys (clip of my first round there [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLjQPpTaqCQ"]Ouch! - YouTube[/ame]).

If anyone is interested, Dan Docherty runs a full contact event every April under loose san shou rules (only differance is no points for strikes, only for putting down or out of area), It tends to be a great place for a first fight and you dont need to be a member of anything.

15. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

liokault - what weight do you fight at?

And where is Dan Dochertys event?

16. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

i started at under 75kg then went on to under 80. im still on her web site showing results, names chris birch.

Dans comp is in oxford.

17. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Thanks.

The age thing has made me get all excited about sanshou for 5 more years!

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Do any of you train, fight, or have fought in San Shou/Sanda?

I'm getting ready to compete in some San Shou. (no fight yet, but training & getting ready) How hard is it to adjust yourself and your style to be able to be successful?

And feel free to add any stories of past San Shou matches you've had.

19. bengs

bengs Valued Member

Well, this might not relate to your purpose of the thread, but I'll be going to a trial class this Friday. Very enthused to have found a school teaching this, but not sure if I will be able to keep up with it based on my rather average level fitness.

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Post 19thlohan. He is has done bunches of Shuai Jaio (sp?), and I think has done some San Shou as well. If not, he's definitely had lots of experience.