Sad news about Gary Mason

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Humblebee, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

The Metropolitan Police, who are yet to confirm the name of the victim, said the van driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

The 43-year-old, who was driving a white Vauxhall "combi" van, had stopped at the scene. He was taken to a south London police station and bailed pending further inquiries.

A post-mortem examination will be held at St Helier Hospital mortuary and an inquest will be opened at Croydon Coroner's Court.

Any witnesses are urged to call officers from the road death investigation unit at Hampton on 020 8941 9011.

Mason was known as a tough, hard-hitting fighter with a strong chin. The heavyweight boxer, born in Jamaica, fought 38 professional bouts between 1984 to 1994. He won 37, with his only loss being to future world champion Lennox Lewis at Wembley Arena in 1991.

Mason was British champion from January 1989 to March 1991 when he lost to Lewis. He led a varied life after his boxing career, with a spell as a pundit for Sky and a brief venture with rugby league side London Broncos.

Boxing promoter Frank Maloney said: "I'm very sad. It's a great loss, not just to boxing but to life in general.

"He was always a happy guy with a smile on his face. Even if things were going wrong for him, he cheered other people up. He was one of the nice guys of boxing."

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Sad news indeed,I enjoyed watching Gary Fight many times.

RIP Brother.

3. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Gary Mason

Sorry to hear about the death of Gary Mason. I always thought he had a nice manner about him.Sad loss. I send my condolences to his family and friends,
    With respect, Joe.