Saavedra family system

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Karl, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Amok

Amok Valued Member

Manong? I'm a year or two younger than you. :D . I didn't know that there was a BRiones ,Cenizas or Cabahugs involved in FMA. Just found that out now but yes, I do practice FMA. I guess I can say it's in my blood or maybe I just like playing with my stick :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  2. Amok

Amok Valued Member

I've learned to live with it.

3. donb

donb restless spirit

Somebody told me of a Briones' banner in FMA in Talisay, Cebu, (i don't know of the Cenizas or Cabahugs in FMA). And my job requires me to move every now and then, so i have stayed away and tried not to get involved with too many filipinos. This is actually a big step for me to start going back to my past and was surprised how much i still know of it. In fact (it's funny), i told my wife that i could go back to my home and run for mayor and probably win because of my connections and my name.

4. Amok

Amok Valued Member

let's not get ahead of ourselves here unless you have a showbiz background schooled in Kuya Germs University.

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Oh you dont want to do that, not unless your willing to run the serious risk of being shot whilst campaigning. Quite a few candidates got killed this year

Best regards

Pat

6. donb

donb restless spirit

It was just a joke guys....i don't have any political ambitions at all. That's part of the reason i have stayed away from the Philippines and filipino communities as well.

7. donb

donb restless spirit

Are you related to Engr. Dimocrito Briones or Conching Briones? I know that there's like 14 or 15 of them, my dad is the youngest of 10.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I know what you mean :D Politcs is a dangerous game in the PI.

I have nearly finished reading the Cebuano Eskrima book, looking at the profiles there are a few mentions of your family name and one Balintawak guys middle name is your family name.

Best regards

Pat

9. donb

donb restless spirit

In the Philippines, usually your middle name is your mother's maiden name. It's a way of tracing lineage. Anciong Bacon , founder of Balintawak, has a Saavedra for a mother. The other thing is that you are more recognized, not by your name, but the more prominent last name in your area. In fact, i'm usually labeled as "apo ni saavedra" (grandson of saavedra), instead of "anak ni briones" (son of briones), mainly because my grandfather was more of a prominent figure in Zamboanga, but if i go to Cebu, it's the other way around. Lineage can be both a gift and a curse, depending on the situation, especially with us that it is easy to trace.

10. vegemite

vegemite New Member

Hi Donb, I used to live in PI in Las Pinas and had a friend named Clarence Saavedra, he is a mestizo looking dude from Cebu, very bisaya. I remember him playing or trainig with sticks at his house but never got the chance to ask him about it, I regret it now. I witnessed a brawl in our local basketball court with him involved and 3 brothers also wielding hard sticks.

Have you heard of this guy Clarence? Hope you are well.

Cheers,

Veg

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the resurrection

LIVE! OLD THREAD LIVE!

any news on the resurrection of the missing saavedra knife system?

12. clarence basil

clarence basil New Member

Hi vegemite, I am Clarence. I stopped playing I shifted to Judo years ago, and again shifted to Nippon Kempo. Who are you? Thanks for remembering me.

13. donb

donb restless spirit

Hi Shootodog!!!!Merry Christmas!!! I was surprised to get an email from MAP this morning about this thread. Anyway, i'm probably not the person to answer your question and this may be the last time i'm going into this topic due to personal reasons. I have attended several doce pares systems (one in Indiana, one from Hawaii, one from Minnesota, a seminar in Chicago, and even a wing tsun seminar), and none of them shed light to what i have learned from my grandfather. In fact, the one from Indiana, a very nice gentleman (high ranked - vice president of their system), couldn't figure out the techniques that i know.
    So for reasons of my own, I would like to share to you a knife technique which, I would be surprised if nobody would not jump into it claiming that it belongs to them. I really don't care! I learned it from my grandfather and not any martial artist, past or present. I'm hoping that if somebody does use this technique, that they may acknowledge where they got it from. There's no trademark infringement. I have no plans of teaching what i know with knife techniques other than to my son who will be entering military to earn money for college. Anyway, here it goes:
    With a single blade on your right hand, reverse grip, with knife parallel to your forearm, (so it is in-line with your forearm for moving/blocking), and feet are even, slightly apart in a ready stance. Your opponent, throws a right hand/arm strike (with or without weapon), stepping forward with either leg.
    1) The following movements should be done simultaneously. Step forward with your left leg at a slight angle toward your opponent, dipping low, with your left hand, checking the attacking hand (not a block), but allowing/helping it go past your body. Your right hand slicing the leg closest to you (either cutting the front/side of right thigh cutting lateral femoral nerve of the right leg or cutting the femoral artery/inner thigh of the left leg or groin area)
    2) Continue your flow of motion, following the slice to the leg, take 2 stabs at your opponents right armpit, since attacking arm exposed it to you.
    3) Continue your flow, rotate your hand after the second stab, glide and slice your opponents left carotid artery. You are basically dipping, gliding, zigzagging, rising up. Overkill in 2 seconds. This technique was designed even if your opponent has armor since the areas targetted are exposed.
    Hopefully you can decipher this. I did my best to try and decribe the pattern of movement.
    Thank you for your interest with the saavedra system. There had been so many conflicts on who i'm supposed to believe or listen to and i am tired of it. There had been people contacting me for proof/lineage and i don't see the point of proving my name to anybody, or that i should listen to them and trying to get me to ally to them for their own purpose. Have a wonderful Christmas!!:hat: