Russian Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by boshi, Apr 30, 2002.

1. boshi

boshi New Member

hi

does anybody know anything about russian martial arts.?

cheers

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

3. boshi

boshi New Member

many thanks kyokushin girl. :)

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

No probs :)

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Sambo (or Sombo as its called in Britain) does actually contain a striking element, but it is mostly taught thses days as a form of submission wrestling (and its bloody good fun). In the 60's it was said that whilst the cilvilised world had Judo, the rest of the world had Sambo, because it was so rough and contained many techniques banned in Judo.

These days you've also got Systema coming out of Russia being pioneered by a guy who's name I've just forgotten (Vladimir Vaalesi or something like that). Pick up any of the Martial arts rags and your bound to see an advert for one of his videos.

Thanx

6. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

the system/Systema is a very good one for it just adds to what you know, no matter what art you do.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

"Also, despite what anyone tells you, it doesn't teach you how to defend yourself properly when you're hammered on smirnoff"

Doh - it's not for me then :D

8. STASH

STASH New Member

My father took some Russian Martial Arts, I've seen him in action...unbelievable.

9. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Boshi,

If you have any questions regarding Russian Martial arts I suggest you check out www.amerross.com as Kyokushin_girl
    suggested. You can also check out the ROSS section on my site:
    www.agatsu.com

Shawn

10. Nikeolls

Nikeolls New Member

Im studying Russian culture at the moment, so if anyone could give me any info, please do

11. Taglit

Taglit New Member

Check these sites

Hi! This Martial Art is Shou Dau and it's not exactly came from Russia, but it was reborn there. Madvedev brougt Shou Dau to Russia. Also you'll be able to find Unibus, which was created by Medvedev for Russian Army Forces.
    http://www.shoudao.com/

and another site is
    http://www.geocities.com/eugenedent/shoudao_nfEng.htm
    This site belongs to my friend and my teacher. And He was a student of Medvedev.

Take care;)

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Systema and Sombo both good arts

Worth a look for most people I guess.

SONSHU

13. Taglit

Taglit New Member

Worth it for you or for most people, I don't care. I just know that it's the best for me as well as for many other people I know. I practiced Karate before and I can feel defference beetwen it and Shou Dou and Bagua. Fot me the last two Martial Arts are best.

14. Sonshu

Cant say I have heard of the last 2 you

mention. What are the main stay of there techniques.

Systems seems to bolt on well to most styles, much like Krav Maga does and Sombo is a good Jujitsu/judo replacement.

SONSHU

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Not heard of Bagua Sonshu, I do that, its ok, I suppose, well it could be worse! :D

16. Sonshu

Sorry PGM

We agree on so many things so it must be a good style as you have your head screwed on!

SONSHU

17. kevin

kevin New Member

The site to check out is definitely russianmartialarts.com. It's just been completely reworked and has a ton of information. Master Vladimir Vasiliev is considered the top proponent of Systema living outside of Moscow and is the senior student of Grand Master Mikhail Ryabko. Anyone serious about martial arts owes it to themselves to train firsthand with Master Vasiliev. It is truly a unique, instinct-based approach to training, and I've never seen anything prepare people as quickly or as well. For aikido enthusiasts, Vlad will be a featured instructor at the Aiki Expo in Nevada (I think this August or September). Stanley Prannin, the editor of the aikido journal has a great article on his site about Vlad and Mikhail as well and the correlation to Aikido. I think the systemauk.com site is the best for video clips for those that are interested although its impossible to really show the power of Systema in video. I was skeptical when I saw some of their techniques and sought Vlad out only to become a believer once he trounced me. A real eye-opener.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

when it comes to Russia and fighting, the first names that come to mind are Alexey Ignashov, aka the Red Scorpio (K-1), and Vovchanchyn who lost against CRO COP (Pride).

19. Sonshu

Same about Igor vs CRO COP

As he is the only person I have seen in MMA to knock Igor out. He has been tapped a few times and lost to Heath Hearing by bad refereeing in my view.

Also Oleg Taktrov is excellent as well!

20. marc hall

marc hall New Member

the military RMA are generaly split into 3 catergories,

at the lowest is SAMBO taught to various regular army units, like judo many throws are used but with the added joint locks and strangulation technigues.
    next on the line is COMBAT or BATTLE SAMBO, Taught to units of special forces including Spetsnaz, this includes all the previous from sambo but with much extra,including knife defense and fighting, against guns,sticks,shovels,chairs you name it !! the guys i have seen in russia doing this beleive me are very good indeed.
    top of the pile is the SYSTEM, taught to elite units of the elite, it is a form of fighting not unlike Aikido, but with extras....again training involves defence against weapons as with combat sambo but the art is very much an internal MA (using his force against him) as opposed to the external of sambo and combat sambo.
    finally one more russian military art and very secret too. the SMERSH system(death to spies) as taught to russia ALPHA GRU.

marc