Russell Stutely

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

Russell Stutely in town

I understand that Russell Stutely will be in the UK running a number of seminars. There is an evening one at Paul King's dojo in Peterborough.
    This is for information only.
    I think Russell lives in the Phillipines now, what has made him come from those clims to our green and pleasant land in January I am not certain?? I wouldt think the weather, personally I would be over there!!! Maybe he needs to cool off !!!!

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Digging your elbow into someones thigh is not a pass ;)

Honestly when I look at guys like this I just think get them on the mat then we'll see what's up. My guess is that they'd be flapping about like a **** and all that funky, gendai, joint lock, pressure tickling, fraudulence would be the first thing out the window.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He'd egg-slice the top of your head clean off and then dip toasty soldiers in your brain juice.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Far be it from me to stand in the way of a man's egg and soldiers.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good man.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hey it passes guard with a technique so its a guard pass by logic.
    but yeah its prolly the least skillful and on the mat he wouldn't last long...

7. Killa_Gorillas

Have you ever had your guard passed that way?

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Funny this should be brought up, we were discussing this in class. The Instructor said that while it was a valid technique, it does not bode well when you rely on things like that. Some CSW guys rely heavily upon techniques similar to that. It also is not effective if you want to roll everyday....

9. Mangosteen

Elbows digging into the area of the thigh above the MCL - yeah i've been passed that way when i started out but not since i started lifting (oh and i got passed a lot like that after i tore my MCL).
    Its not technique that works on anyone who's trained for a while but it does work on n00bs and i like doing it to annoy people.

10. Killa_Gorillas

OOOh MCL tear!?? hard luck! When was that?

Yeah to be honest it was (not a dig at you here) the go to technique of pretty much every day one, meat head, spaz that rolled up to my old gym and honestly all it ever was was a little unpleasant/uncomfortable/annoying. I don't think I've ever been passed in that manner as it is so easy to defend and/or mitigate against. Add that to the fact that it just ****es your training partner off and it's not worth even doing IMO.:dunno: certainly not material to be shown as part of a 'pressure point' seminar/DVD for escaping guard (which we're obviously in full agreement on anyway:D).

11. Mangosteen

yeah MCL tears suck.
    people do the thigh dig in a way that makes it easy to triangle them.
    i do it mainly to annoy the guy into attempting to triangle so i can pull a pass

12. Killa_Gorillas

you healed now?

13. Mangosteen

yeah thankfully.
    it happened when i visited RGA this summer.
    not great.
    but it healed up after rest and squats

14. Killa_Gorillas

good stuff.

I had a minor mcl problem myself a while back. Real bummer. Glad you're all fixed :cool:

edit - although you did get to meet GSP so no sympathy from me!! :p

15. Mangosteen

i'm heading to RGA tomoro!
    lets see who i meet then.

16. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

He did fight in a Vale Tudo contest.The result was a draw.

17. Killa_Gorillas

What, no pressure point KO's??

18. HerbM

HerbM New Member

From (only) watching some of Stutely's commercial videos:

He definitely makes it very clear that pressure points will NOT work on everybody, every time, in every situation.

His marketing is definitely full of hype.

His material seem (rather) expensive.

He is a clear presenter -- and his style is odd which might put some people off.

I personally enjoy his explanations. I could readily do some of the things he taught and have felt some of the effects from my training partners even though we have used VERY light force to avoid knocking anyone out or such.

The way I take Stutely is that he is a proponent of hitting (really) hard, aiming for pressure points, and hitting as many times as it takes -- and he claims that if you do all three you will get good results more often than doing any of the three alone.

That seems to be the opposite of the hype he offers in ads and marketing materials.

The guy is trying to make a buck (or pound) and that is fair if he can deliver (stuff YOU can use) and isn't actually dishonest about it.

--
    HerbM

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Video?

20. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Better ask him.I have never seen one.