rivals and the martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by geves, Jun 23, 2006.

1. geves

geves Valued Member

i haven't been in a MA class in quite some time. hints why i only post in movie/games section. but i'm about to start a new school.

but as i looked back on my previous MA experience. i noticed i'm very rival oriented when it comes to mentallity. i ussually pick someone in the class who seems to be around the same level or build. lots of the times they're better or have more experience. but i ussually use that person to give my self a level of skill. for example: i try to beat people (sparring, grappling, whatever) he couldn't. or try to do a technique he didn't pull off that well, and try to get some recognition from others who saw me perform after him.
    or something along those lines.

so after i was thinking to myself about how i ussually do this. and wondering if this was a healthy attitude to have towards a fellow MAist or practioner? obviously i wouldn't use this "drive" to hurt someone or have a vendetta. but i wondered what others on this site think of this kind of attitude.

is it healthy? is it normal? is it a good thing? do you have a rival? did it help you improve? what's your thoughts on the subject?

please give some serious feedback. not something stupid, just because you felt like posting here.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Personally speaking, I'd say yes and no.

I can't see anything wrong with picking someone in your class as a benchmark, but I'm not too hot on the whole 'I've gotta get more recognition' bit. What if this guy finds out that's what's been going on? Could make training difficult.

The best thing I reckon you can do is just see how well you do from class to class and seriously try to improve that. Check every tiny bit of your technique and keep practising.

On the rival bit, a better way (IMO) may be to work out and/or train to be able to match these people in sparring instead of picking one person to beat throughout the year.

But saying that, I do Shotokan Karate, so the way we do things could be structured completely differently to facilitate this kind of thought. Do/did you do MMA?

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I have one man in the class, often referred to as my "nemesis". This is because he beats me soundly every time we fight on the ground, even more so than everybody else!
    I love fighting against him, because each time we spar, I get a little closer to tapping him out.
    He's fully aware of what I'm after, and this helps me to lift my game and keep me on my toes. It's fun in a way.

Sometimes it's not healthy, like if it does develop into a vendetta, but I don't see the harm in friendly competition. I don't like it for recognition, but if it's personal gain that helps you improve your skills, then go for it. Just don't obsess too much.

4. kuabarra

kuabarra New Member

In my karate/kickboxing class, i am constantly trying to get better than my friend. He is better than me in sparring, grapling, running and now that he's a black belt and i'm a high red, even in katas and status. Although he knows my goal is to beat him someday...

5. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

i always get competative

me and my m8s at my kickboxing always try to out do each other but its just friendly. but if u want real h8red its us and team swat. ow my its a blood bath :woo: :bang:

6. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Sounds like insecurity to me.

7. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

I always try to aim at the level of other in my classes.
    Its not really unhealthy. I have different people for different skills, some are faster runners, some are very flexible, maybe better/stronger/faster techniques, some hold low stances for longer.
    I try and beat all of these people (most especially the instructor) at their own qualities.

I know for a fact that there are people who aim at me. So I try to push them too. (If they want to be able to challenge me then I want them to be a proper challenge when it happens).

I figure everyone does this to a degree, it's learning/progressing. This sortof one-upmanship doesnt really cause tension in the training halls as nobody feels uncomfortable through it.

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

My dojo mates are my family, no rivalry but healthy competition yes!

However, one guy has chosen me as his rival (and anyone smaller and of higher ranking). He has a major inferiority complex, problems fitting in socially, competitive to the point where safety of others is ignored completely. He is a git but every family has one. I've been very good to him as have been everyone else but karma is finally starting to get him back for all the crap he has pulled in the dojo.

Look closely at why you have chosen people as your 'rivals'.

9. Slappy

Slappy New Member

Dude, rivals are fun! They jump out of the bushes all like some, "Slappy! Prepare to meet your doom!" And they attack me and I pown them. Just like yuske...

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Slappy, will you 'pown' my rival for me?

11. Qdmasta

Qdmasta Valued Member

I do the exact same thing you do, geves. At my previous school I had a couple of rivals that were around my skill level. One day, I was nearly beaten by one of them and that ignited something within me. I started training harder and harder until finally I was clearly better than my rivals. I know this might sound like I only train to be better than everyone else, but that's not true. I just want to maximize my potential.

At the school I'm at now it's a bit different. Starting out I was clearly more skilled and experienced than everyone there. I believe that the change in training habits of the students at the particular school that I'm at now are a direct result of my arrival at the school as an assistant instructor. It seems like I'm everyone's rival. I noticed a drastic change in everyone's mindset and skill. The students fight their hardest when they go against me, I see a fire in their eyes that I don't see when they fight other people. Realizing this, I'm sure to keep my own skills as sharp as possible. Not because I just HAVE to be the best, but because in some way I feel I own it to them and myself.

I believe having a rival or something to shoot for can be beneficial. I know it has been in my own training.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  12. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

I don't have a rival...feel a bit left out. Everyone normally beats me, but I have a dodgy leg and that is my excuse.

Honestly I think it is normal, and maybe could be a good learning curv. It could also make it difficult in class if the teacher is not someone who enjoy's watching their students rival each other. I would calm myself and see what this rival does, don't push them so it makes class a place that you can't attened.

Tans

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I fail to see the need for "rivalry" in any shape, way, or form. My only real competition is myself and my limits. I've learned that it's simply not worth it to use someone else as a benchmark for MY success. I'm more interested in discovering my limits and going beyond them than worrying about what the other guys on the mat are doing or what colour sash they're wearing. Internal motivation is the best motivation.

EDIT: Not always easy, mind you, just a better mindset to strive for.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006