Risking a life term to protect a child

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by pgm316, May 17, 2006.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

CONVICTED BURGLAR TURNS OVER SEX-CRIME EVIDENCE FROM STOLEN PROPERTY

[​IMG]

Matthew Hahn speaks to a Mercury News reporter from inside Elmwood jail.

Matthew Ryan Hahn glared in disbelief at the digital photographs of a man molesting a girl. She was only a year old, maybe 2.

The next thing to do would be obvious -- call police. But Hahn had been convicted of burglary more than once. And the memory card on which he discovered the photos came from a stolen safe.

Hahn knew being nabbed for another crime could make him a three-striker and send him to prison for life. But the images were burned into his mind. One photo showed some freshly overturned earth -- could the little girl already have been killed and buried?

After a sleepless night, Hahn took the card, placed it inside a pink change purse and attached a typewritten note. It said: ``Please remove this animal from the streets.''

He wrapped the whole thing in a package that he jammed into a random mailbox. It was addressed to the Los Gatos Police Department.

A year later, Hahn, 26, is in Elmwood correctional facility. Housed in the next building over, in protective custody, is John ``Robbie'' Robertson Aitken. The 22-year-old with no previous criminal record is charged with molesting his infant goddaughter -- his boss's child.

This is the story of two young Los Gatos men, both facing life in prison, and how one's crime may have halted the other's.

``There is honor among thieves,'' said Dana Overstreet, who is prosecuting Aitken. ``In my case, Hahn is a hero.''

Opening arguments are expected to begin early this week. Hahn is expected to be one of the prosecution's main witnesses against Aitken. And then, he too will go on trial.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/crime_courts/14523007.htm

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

well that is a tricky one

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Good on him. I hope they take this into account when he gets sentenced.

I'm not condoning burglary, but it pales into insignificance compared to child abuse, in my opinion.

4. philp

philp New Member

I have to agree.

5. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

Spot on!

It would be nice to think that they could ignore this as his 'third strike' and just give him a modest jail sentence.

Punished for what he did and acknowledge for what he stopped.

Moony

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Why do you think the "child predator" is in protective custody? I worked 8 years in corrections and I have seen, been part of lawsuits, that involved the charges of assaulting or having sex with a child. Believe me, the life of a pedophile, in a correctional institution is 100% fear, 100% of the time. It amazed me that you could be a rapist, a murderer, what ever but if you molested or hurt a child, you could be hurt severly. Not that I condone burglary, I do not, but I hope someone considers this mans role in capturing a pedophile. :Angel:

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Because he is a nonce, that's why. Why do you ask? :confused:

8. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Surely the circumstances of the man's arrest would be a part of the trial, and if he goes for a jury, it will probably be pretty lenient. I don't know if they have already bargened for a lesser sentence, however, if not I am surprised the DA's office didn't plea out for a lesser sentence. I would be surprised if any jury would throw the book at a guy who stoped a child molester- even if he is a convicted burgler.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So the 'three strikes' rule isn't cast in stone then?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I would imagine his testifying for the prosecution suggests that he has made some kind of deal already,

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd imagine so, he's daft if he hasn't asked for a deal. From the article I'm still not sure how he got from the anonymous tipp-off to being charged....

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Who knows. I guess we all have to wait and see what happens at his trial.

13. narcsarge

Just to throw a little light on the article. Injury/sexual assault to child is the only TABOO crime for a criminal. That was the only point I was making. You want to talk about doing "hard" time, be a child predator that is encarcerated! :Angel:

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Oh right - it was a rhetorical question.

I'm with you now! :)

I don't know how it works in other countries, but here in the UK child-molestors/rapists etc. (known as 'nonces') get kept in seperate wings in prison, to protect them from the rest of the prison population.

15. narcsarge

Same over here. But, and here is where it gets dicey, these pedophiles/predators will try to blend into to general population within the jail. Once they are found out, they usually need medical attention and then they sue the staff and facility. I know, happened to me once! :Angel:

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think it was really noble of the guy to sacrifice himself for that kid and the kids families.

I really think that the word "hero" is overused in all regards. People want to call nurses, and automechanics in the army "heroes," which I think is BS. I think a hero is a person who puts themself at high risk to help someone else. I think the guy is a hero.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Interesting story. Wonder how long it will take Aitkins' attorney to file a motion to kick the whole case. I can already tell this is gonna be a zoo.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I agree, he stole a safe but the turning over of evidence should be some factor in sentencing.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting case. Sort of.
    There have been others of a similar nature.

One I remember from a while back was a school principal and his wife were habitually molesting an infant and photographing themselves doing it. They hired some painters to repaint some rooms in the house and a whole cache of these photo's went missing. Obviously they weren't going to report it to the police. Eventually these photos arrived in the post at the police headquarters and they nabbed both of them after a short time on the run.

Needless to say - their life in prison isn't going to be pretty.

From what I understand of this more recent article - he must have been picked up on other charges and was looking for an angle out. He did have the conscience to want to get this guy busted as he did it prior to being picked up... makes you wonder what they got him for. Probably selling/buying stolen goods or as is usual with stolen goods cases... something drug habit related.

What a crazy story. Hopefully most of this stuff happened to that child so early on that there won't be much noticeable effect on her as she gets older.

20. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i don't think buglary deserves life anyway...i mean maybe a good 15 yrs but life??
    some child molesters and rapists don't even get life! in fact they prob wouldn't even get 15yrs.

they deserve life, and that man deserves a smaller jail sentence for what he did, but should still be punished for his crimes.