Ripping it

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Gripfighter, May 15, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

always enjoyed "scientific wrestling's" stuff and billy robinson is a legend but I just saw this.

[​IMG]

over a grand for a two day seminar ? crazy, not impressed.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Well, free market, etc. I'm not paying that amount of money for 2 days, and if noone else does either, then, the price will drop next time.

If I really don't want to be a teacher, one way of not having to do any teaching is to charge ludecrous prices :evil:

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

man gots to eat!

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

What's he eating ... Bengal tiger steaks grilled on moon rocks.

The Bear.

5. february

february Valued Member

How are they able to justify charging this much? CACC is very much in vogue at the moment, but this seems excessive (and ironic considering it's roots as a working class sport).

But hey it's a free market. A similar 2 day seminar with Rickson is around a quarter of the price - I know which I'd choose.

6. Mangosteen

i wonder how much flying out to saku's gym in japan and training with him would cost?

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

one day I hope to find out.

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Well, I know that Japan is the Mystical land of the sacred ninja-super-martial-arts-stuff, but at least in Scandinavia, we get to go to seminar weekends where instructors come from USA, Canada, etc, and we usually have to pay around 600NKR, (that's roughly 70 - 80 euro, thereabout) But that's just WMA, and only Americans, I know Japaneese people are worth a lot more, beeing secret super martialarts people, etc.

But as I said before; if people are willing to pay him that amount of money, then lucky him :)

9. february

february Valued Member

Dunno, but who wouldn't want to train at an MMA gym called "Laughter 7"? Money wouldn't be an object with that one...:)

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

you do know who kazushi sakuraba is ? nothing mystical about wanting to train with easily the most successful proponent of catch as catch can in mixed martial arts.

11. Mangosteen

saku is a catch wrestler under billy robinson as well as an accomplished collegiate freestyle wrestler and MMA fighter known for destroying the gracies.
    Very non Japanese MA of him.

im guessing training with him would provide a much more rounded and applied grappling base than Robinson.

but i get your point. theres a lot of brilliant talent for MA's in the west.

heck you can go to pakistan and train with Gama the Great's lineage there for maybe 20 pound a year?

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Jeebus the guy is a legend but that is a crazy steep price!! :cry:

I really don't see how that price can be held up... it's totally out of whack with the prices on training seminars it would seem. I'd love to train with the guy... but not for that type of coin. No friggin' way.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If memory serves it is a "certification" type of deal, not just a "train with Billy" but a "you are graded and qualified to teach it" deal

This does not of course mean it is not expensive, but if it is effectively a "business license to teach" type of arrangement then that would account for the steeper price. And as has already been identified, its a free market!

If that was Karl Gotch I would have dropped 2 g's instantly though!!!

14. slipthejab

Ok interesting... that does change the perspective on the price a bit. But I'd wonder what the prerequisites are. I can't imagine you're going to learn enough in a two day seminar to really use much of it... let alone pass it on to your students. I've done a ton of seminars with BJJ guys that have come through HK from time to time... (Zé Marcello, Marcello Garcia, Rodrigo Medeiros etc.) - and I take copious notes and take several days to go back over and really work on what was taught... even with that... it's very hard to string it into your game... so I really wonder how this cert is set up. I'd guess coming from a wrestling background would be more advantageous than from say BJJ or Judo. But I could be wrong on that.

On the face of it.... it reminds me of personal trainer certs that people get in a week and then start dispensing obnoxious and totally fallacious strength training advice. Ugh. However... I'm defo a pessimistic type when it comes to this... I'd train with this guy any day over just about any ridiculous PT cert instructor any day of the week. :D

15. Hannibal

http://www.scientificwrestling.com/products/item23.cfm

I think you actually have to come up to scratch - it is not just a "pay and teach" deal. I actually have the conceptual syllabus somewhere....I'll see if can dig it out

edit: here it is in outline

SW Certified Catch Wrestler Audit™ Review and Preparation. Candidates can expect testing to heavily center around live wrestling with the scoring allocated
    accordingly:

Written Exam (Level 1) 10
    HCC Live Catch Match (Level 3) 30
    HCC Knowledge of Catch Rules (Level 1) 10
    PPT/T/T Principles (Level 1) 10
    PPT/T/T Positions & Rides (Level 2) 10
    PPT/T/T Takedowns/Tie-Ups/Transitions (Level 2) 10
    WSP Pinning Combinations (Level 2) 10
    WSP Submission Chains (Level 2) 10
    Total 100

HCC = History, Competition, & Conditioning
    PPT/T/T = Principles, Positions, & Takedowns/Tie-Ups/Transitions
    WSP = Win: Submissions & Pins

To earn the SW Certified Catch Wrestler™ designation all candidates must score a total of 85 points.

The SW Catch Wrestler Audit™ establishes the candidate's proven proficiency in Catch Wrestling based upon objective and standardized criteria and upon successful completion of the audit, candidates will be awarded a certificate authenticating their accomplishments.

Upon earning the SW Certified Catch Wrestler™ designation, wrestlers may earn advanced distinctions for competitive, conditioning, promoting, or coaching achievements as well. Scientific Wrestling™ will videotape and archive all SW Catch Wrestling Audits™ and Advanced Distinctions, thereby providing objective, third party validation of the achievements and skills required to call oneself a SW Certified Catch Wrestler™. will be held annually with at least 2 members of the Scientific Wrestling™ Board of Advisors present.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  16. slipthejab

Interesting stuff... again shedding more light on it! Thanks! :)

17. Hannibal

welcome! :)

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It’s a licence to teach and make money, and it’s a bit like traditional arts the more expensive it is the more it will attract certain people who want to be able to teach a secret/unknown art
    And Jake has always been about making money as much as he has been about spreading the art
    Quite why anyone would pay the money for an art that’s been around for decades and yet can only point ot what a handful of people using it successfully in MMA or combat sports, and those normally have a base and or training in other grappling arts is beyond me

19. slipthejab

Apparently this is somewhat related to the beef between Jake and Tony Ceccine - who was perhaps business wise his competition? If I recall there is certainly no love lost between the two of them.

I'd be curious how this material holds up against something like that of Eric Paulson... I'm sure that Paulson's stuff isn't anywhere near this price.

20. slipthejab

Apparently this is somewhat related to the beef between Jake and Tony Ceccine - who was perhaps business wise his competition? If I recall there is certainly no love lost between the two of them.

I'd be curious how this material holds up against something like that of Eric Paulson... I'm sure that Paulson's stuff isn't anywhere near this price.