Repetative Body kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Matt F, May 7, 2009.

1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Hello.
    My question is about the repetative body kicks and what the main tips and key elements of the kick are.

I can do single body kicks with power,I get my hips over,rotate on my supporting foot etc etc.Yet when I do this I find I am now unable to get back well enough to do more in a fast repetative way.I am ''gone'' so to speak.

Is their a knack to this?Maybe just working on the recovery?
    I can only do them when I hardly feel like im getting much hip over,and although fairly powerfull and fast it doesnt feel its right or look proper compared to seeing it done well.

Thanks.

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Try marking a bag (if you have one) then a place on the floor where your feet begin. Try and land on the target, then back on the spot. But practice makes automatic, so go slow in the beginniong, and maybe gradually get faster?

3. chof

chof Valued Member

concentrate on your retraction, your mind and body already know how to release, but do they know how to retract fast, try it low, then go to waist height, do them slow so the nervous system can mechanize, keep doing it you will get it

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Its possible you could be turning you hip over to much,if thats the case your retraction will be slower,personally I like the 45 degree kick when hitting the body,the retraction is quicker,I like the full hip turn for attacking the legs to knock the opponent of balance.:)

5. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Cheers people.

Ahh,so there is a slight variation in the kick to the body?
    I was thinking that.The one that goes up into the body yes?
    How much hip should go in to that?
    I get a good pivot on my supporting foot though that I feel helps .

Thats the one I feel I do yet dont feel or look like I get my hip in as much as when the Thai's do it or others better than me.

6. chof

chof Valued Member

another thing is you have to keep the leg completely relaxed that way you can fling it in any direction

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

You want to be driving your hip up and in bro but not turning it over on the 45 degree kick(Tae Chiang) your support leh should still be on the toes and rotating enough to get the kick in and out.

Yes there are round kick variations,also most boxers have there own way,some kick with a totally straight leg some with a bent leg etc,play on the bag till you get it to feel good.

And as Chof says stay relaxed for more power and speed.:)

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Nice.I will take all that on board.

I did a MT class last night and my instuctor said it was coming on and gave some more pointers.
    I have a TKD background so still sometimes do too much at the knee.I need to just relax as stated and swing it in more straight.

I notice too that I do it better on the Thai pads when someone holds it at the angle for body kicks.When on the bag I try to go horizontal in as it just feels like more impact.Going up more feels like it skims more.I will work more up and in rather than horizontaly in on the bag.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

My body kicks is how my old MMA coach taught me, not visualize "kicking" but driving the knee through the body thrusting the hip forward (like thrust a knee) but slamming the shin straight into the opponent's body.

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Id do both on the bag bro,just so as you know and can feel the difference.

Just for reference,
    The 45 degree angle kick is called Tae Chiang,the horizontal kick is called Tae Taad,and the downward kick is called Tae Tawaad.:)