reopening to soon

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, May 29, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Not exactly sure what to think about this, but there is a BJJ school in my area that reopened. My state has set reopening in phases, 1 to 4 and I believe we are in phase 1 with phase 2 pending, but Martial arts schools are clearly listed as phase 4.

The head of the school is taking precautions, hand and foot sanitizer, only 6 or 8 students max, no actual BJJ just SD work on a heavy bag to maintain social distancing, but no masks. Also much cleaning of the school and equipment between classes.

Add to that he was on the local news talking about this and they even showed a class with 4 people

Also take into account, should the state find out (see he was on the news) they can fine him $500 to $2000 dollars for opening to soon.

I am wondering what everyone thinks about this, thoughts

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Small gyms will do much better than the big places because they can have small groups, clean it easier etc but at the same time income will be down due to small classes and less frequent ones because of all the cleaning between to make it safe.

If it's bag work only, small group everyone on their own bag, cleaned before each lesson I can't see a problem, you are running a risk yes but you run the same risk when you go shopping and idiots gets too close, pick up and put stuff back etc.

Striking and tcma clubs will be open much sooner than bjj and MMA clubs you simply can't do bjj or MMA without bodily contact other arts you can sort of get around it.

Unless you are lucky enough to have a partner or housemate into grappling it will be a while until you roll

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, the bjj crowd has proved that common sense is lacking. That said the difference between BJJ/MMA and TMA's is that the BJJ gyms normally own or rent property and TMA places are rented as needed for the most part in church halls and whatnot. The whole BJJ crowd has been vocal and stupid about it. Basically devolving to "I have such a bad time without BJJ". Like, if you're having actual depression then not going to bjj is not the real problem, there is something deeper there.

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I guess the gym needs money to survive, but they definitely shouldn't take risks like that, even when th precautions they take seem good. Here, we also had waves of opening and all the gyms I go/went to act accordingly - CrossFit, karate, tai chi. After places reopening in the whole country, there was no large increase in the virus spreading. However, we've never been in too bad a shape to begin with.
    Unless gyms and all the places go by the government instructions, there is really no point in any rules being set as they can ruin it for everyone.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There are still many TMA people who are full time Instructors and so depend on their classes to feed their kids. I know a lot of people in that situation, and the lack of venue fees is figured into the lower fees they charge per month. They are different business models, but if no business is being done, both are stuffed.

Honestly though, the choice is simple; act in the best interests of your clientele and the world at large, or act in your own interests.

I get that it's a huge problem for some people, but there are times when events are bigger than individuals, and we have to make sacrifices. We may just have to look for other work. Maybe it's time to find out if we as a community actually believe the self improvement, lifestyle stuff, or if it's just marketing flim flam?

There will be a time when we can spar and grapple again, but it just isn't now. Now it's time to take our lumps, help in any way we can, and look to the future.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I also think that some governments have been poor to respond. America seems to have not helped business at all other than the big ones.

David Harrison and Mitch like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

That is pretty much where I am on this, and I know of a few TMA schools that are full time instructors as well as BJJ and MMA.

Mitch likes this.
  8. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

It is too early. Working out makes people breathe harder. When that happens, iris can go airborn and travel much farther. People breathing harder breathe in what others are breathing out. It’s a bad mix.

David Harrison likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You know I am no fan of our Govt, but I got a (taxable) grant that has made a difference over the last few months. I told all my students to cancel their payments before the lockdown was announced, and have asked them for a minimum payment per month, up to the full amount, based on their personal circumstances, for online lessons.

Financially I am in trouble.

But it has also reinforced why I do this. Seeing my students online gives me more joy than I can express. We are genuinely a community, so we need to look after each other :)

ned, axelb, Dead_pool and 2 others like this.
  10. Flying Crane

America’s response at the federal level has been dismal. Some states have done better. And yes, the aid money has largely gone to those who needed it less.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Just found this out, I don't think it applies in the BJJ situation. Along with high fines, the state will also suspend any state licensure for those not following the phased opening plan

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm not surprised that the US is opening back up already, it seems like they have a lot more to lose, with less government support.

I anticipate UK won't start opening until September, and even then that will be with restrictions.
    The availability of a vaccine will be a huge hinging point.

I read that shielding people will be about to go out once a day from next week.

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

To be honest, I think we are opening just too close again later.

Mitch likes this.
  14. Flying Crane

I was texting with my brother today, he is a doctor in Minneapolis. He says that while Minnesota has done overall better than a lot of places, nevertheless their rates have steadily been creeping up. They have been opening for a couple weeks now, with the expectation that people follow distancing guidelines and wearing masks. Problem is, people have been lax about following those guidelines. Lately since the opening began they have been experiencing a spike in Covid cases and now are at or near capacity with ICU beds. He is seeing a very disturbing trend.

Now with all the civil unrest going on way too many people are coming in way too close contact with each other and he expects the surge to worsen in another couple weeks. He is fearing that Minneapolis may become the next New York City.

Well, I see similar disregard for the distancing guidelines here in the Sacramento area. I don’t imagine we are the only ones. And civil unrest is spreading widely.

1). It is too early, we do not have Covid under control and we are already seeing surges in infection numbers that coincide with reopening activities
    2) add the civil unrest into the mix and it is a deadly combo with widespread potential consequences
    3). We are in for a s**t storm.

ned likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

NYS has a 4 phase plan based on region. Most regions are in phase 1 and a couple are in phase 2, but the NYC region not expected to be in Phase 1 until June 3rd at the earliest. But at any point in these phases, if you fail to meet the requirements for that phase, or if there is a spike and hospital beds fill up...back you go to lockdown....I too think it is too soon, and I also think the stay hime order has contributed to some of the frustration flaming the civil unrest.

Virginia, where the oldest is currently has cases on the rise too.