Registration fees WEKAF World tournament 2006

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by tvb, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I know what you are saying and I hope you are right as it would not be a real world FMA championships without the Philippine team participating in it, but if they don't some of the other countries may well get angry and things could get ugly.

Best regards

Pat

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well if we don't invite you then you can't beat us now can you? :D

3. Pat OMalley

Bhwaaaaaa! Like it, nice one Kwajaman:D :woo:

4. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Firstly, the Philippines and India get a dispensation and don't pay the same fees as first world countries. Now, while not letting off WEKAF USA off the hook (I also think that the fees are disgusting), I think a precident was set in London in 2002 with the outragous fees that were charged there AND the congress was NOT optional, pricey (in my opinion, at £25 which was over 40euro) and a total waste of time for the compeditors as they couldn't contribute to what was going on. At first it might not seem bad at £45 and then £6 per event thereafter, but that for most compeditors would total about £63 which was over 100euros at that time (and not much better now).

However, this STILL does not justify what WEKAF USA are attempting to pull off, and of course limiting the amount of compeditors that will be able to attend.

5. Mike Dunnage

Mike Dunnage Valued Member

in defense of WEKAF GB, the event run at a loss and that is a FACT!!!!

It was the lovers of the art who put their own money up to run the GB event and they all lost out.

Dave i doubt if it was your intent to imply the organisers are leaches but please do not make them sound like money grabbing mercenaries as that is not the case.

6. Pat OMalley

I feel the entry fees for the WEKAF Worlds that were held in London were reaonable considering the high cost of arranging things in any Western Capital City, obviously the entry fees where slightely cheeper in the Philippines, but not by much, you have to consider that things like medals, trophies, certificates, armour, sticks, PA systems, score cards etc etc have to be paid for by someone, and it is reasonable to assume that they would like to at least make their money back, and if they make a profit, then good luck to them, but if they loose money then that is the risk they take.

I don't feel however if it is the case that the congress should have been compulsory for all players, after all this is the political side of WEKAF were all the country reps get together and either agree or disagree on how WEKAF should progress over the next couple of years, this should be open to only those that either wish to listen or raise an opinion and get involved in this side of things, the players should be allowed to do one thing, concentrate on their fighting over the event and not worry about how a particular rule of peice of the constitution is be adjusted, so to make them sit and listen to something when all they really want to do is get ready to play is wrong, but I was not at the congress so I am only basing my opinion of what points have been raised here and how I feel what should be done.

It is obvious to me though that the US organisers have no intention of loosing any money which is OK, but at what price? I feel that these extremely high entry fees will only do one thing for WEKAF, and that is kill it off, which I feel will be a loss to the FMA world considering how much they have helped the profile of the FMA over the years.

I think the organisers need to sit down and re-think what they are actually doing to the organisation in the long term, and not just look at this prestigious event as a way of making a quick profit regardless of the outcome.

I am sure if enough country representatives and potentual players who want to attend the games raise this point with WEKAF USA, then surely they will have to sit up and listen and do something about it.

After all there are some talented young players out there who have the potentual of becomming world champions only to be stopped at the last hurdle simply because of the high cost of entry.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  7. DoceParesGuy

DoceParesGuy Valued Member

Not to justify the outrageous registration fees, but these are being held at Disney World.

I attended the WEKAF Nationals last month which I must admit, ran alot smoother than previous tournaments. At the awards banquet, they stated that one's dream was to have it at Disney World for the simple fact of convenience. One could wake up and go downstairs for breakfast then easily walk over the to the tournament venue, such was the case for Nationals. The hotel was large enough to hold the tournament venue as well as numerous restaurants.

From what I've heard of the schedule of events; there will be 2 luncheons and one dinner (all included in the registration, I assume), the tournament itself, then an open invitational after the Worlds.

I don't mean to play "devil's advocate", I'm just giving you an idea of how the Nationals were run. Don't get me wrong, I also think the registration fees are ridiculous. I'm from the US and my team has launched a fundraising campaign just to get there! I do, however, sympathize with the foreign competitors. The registration fees, in addition to your airfare, is quite a large sum. My advice? Do what we're doing and launch a frantic fundraising campaign. I didn't even qualify and I'm doing all this work!

Cheers and good luck, guys. I really hope to see you there.

(and if you're really mad at the fees and can hold a 2 year grudge, you can get us back in the Philippines in 2008 :p )

8. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

the event's gonna be held in disneyworld? if that's the reason for the high prices, Mickey Mouse himself should be competing.

-nico-

9. Andy Gibney

Andy Gibney New Member

A few thoughts from a one time player.

When the first US WEKAF World Championships were held in 1996 a lot of people complained about them then, but they did run on time and as a competitior I thought they were the best Worlds I ever attended. (I also went to the PI in 92 and 94). When I took a team to Cacoy's Doce Pares World Champs in 2001 these were also well run. Neither time do I remember the prices being exorbitantly high. Infact the 2001 event was the best and most friendly tournament I ever attended. Both events were hosted by my teacher, Richard Bustillo, so maybe I'm biased.

I would guess that Tom Sipin, the USA host, is a member of MAPS, or whatever it's called, that believes that to run professional organisation you have to charge professional prices. And here's the problem. Any of the members who have contributed to this discussion who have been involved in WEKAF, I would guess would agree that it is the most unprofessional martial arts organisation you'll ever meet. It has always been the competitors that have made WEKAF worth joining. They battle well, they party well and when you compete in World Champs you have a great experience. Outside of the World Champs, nothing.

With prices like this WEKAF have just destroyed the soul of the event. Congratulations!

10. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Dave i doubt if it was your intent to imply the organisers are leaches but please do not make them sound like money grabbing mercenaries as that is not the case.

Mike please re-read my post and see that I was expressing an opinion, to which I am quite entitled. Now for both you and Pats benefit, it might be worth pointing out that the vast majority of Europe has the Euro as its currency and in 2002, that meant the tournament fees were approx double what they were in Sterling, plus I felt it was a bit much to MAKE people pay for the Congress.

in defense of WEKAF GB, the event run at a loss and that is a FACT!!!!

Well, IN MY OPINION, this could be down to the fact that they were very badly promoted/advertised when this was a big opportunity for FMA in Europe. There was no publicity in ANY of the British mags in advance and the deal with Channel 4 feel through at such a late stage, we could not resurrect the offer we had from TG4 an Irish television station (who covered the Europeans in '99 and offered us sponsorship to cover the Worlds, that year).

11. Pat OMalley

Hi Dave
    I understand where you are comming from, but because you had the Euro, does not make it double the price, that at the end of the day is the exchange rate, we could say then that for the Filipino the entry fee would be 90 times the price as the exchange rate is between 85 and 90 Piso to the pound, But if you feel it was expensive you do have a good basis for argument as all the other world championships up until that point where cheeper. But I was saying I could understand why they where charging so much and considering London is not a cheep place to live.

You done a grand job in running the Europeans in Ireland and yes you are right WEKAG GB could have done a far far better job in promoting the event, but they did not, which is a shame, considering the argued with me that they needed to run it in London to get the best profile for the sport and I in the end gave in and backed away from organising the event, I was talking to outside promoters and media who were looking to help promote the event, but because arguments were sprouting up were getting personal and none of the European delegates gave any support to the event I was going to run (Entry fee's where going to be around £15 to £20) I let them take over the running of the event. So yes the promotion could have been better and the entry fee's could have been cheeper, but that is no excuse for the high fees that the Florida event is placing on the players.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  12. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Although I admire everyone's devotion to the art and feel sorry for the organiser's that made a loss out of their own pocket.

Can someone next time (organiser or not) please phone 'Combat Magazine' or 'Martial Arts Illustrated' well in advance as they have yearly calendars and would of promoted it for free for many months prior to the event..all it would of taken was a 2 mintue phone call!

...so let's end this bickering (which is destroying our unity), learn from our mistakes and do better next time. :D

Please can someone also sort out the WEKAF GB website as it is awful with very little effort spent on it www.wekafgb.com :eek:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  13. Pat OMalley

But if you dont raise your objections because something is wrong, it will never be put right.

Best regards

Pat

14. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

I remember talking to some of your offices bro and they seemed excited... I hope the miracle does happen for you and your guys!!

If not see you in December?

Best regards

rebecca

15. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

you dressing up this year then??

how are you??

best regards
    rebecca

16. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

maybe the price includes a one week stay at the Disneyworld resort :D

17. Pat OMalley

Nope! that's and EXTRA $70 per night:D Looks as though Micky is the only one who will walk away with gold;)

Best regards

Pat

18. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

ummm... halloween is still a bit far off. :p

i'm doing pretty good actually, i'm trying to find a job right now. what's new over there?

i still think mickey mouse should join the competition! i'd like to see him get hit with sticks... :yeleyes: :yeleyes:

-nico-

19. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Now the organisaers are really taking the 'Mickey' :D

20. Pat OMalley

I have also heard a rumour that if you want to be a spectator, it will cost you no less than $200 US Dollars:eek:

Mickey is in wonderland now. Your all going to the wrong place.

Best regards

pat