Regarding Sai.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by NotaMA, Dec 12, 2012.

1. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Probably not in a way that is very beneficial for me, I wager...

After I really read and consider what you say in a logical, realistic, and sensible manner I believe I can safely say you're totally right about this whole thing, no matter how much my Bruce Lee Fanboy mentality wants to deny it.

The logical thing to do here would be to rely on empty handed combat techniques for self defense, and flee quickly if ever I get into such a situation to avoid possible invalid legal repercussion, Ex. If I were mistaken as the Aggressor.

I believe you've enlightened me a bit more and pulled me a bit farther out of my paranoid delusions of grandeur instilled by Bruce Lee fanaticism, and furthermore you've made me realize how much of an insufferable moron I sound like when I prattle on and white knight over my apparent obsessions with certain things.

I will take your advice on this matter and reserve the Nunchaku for Freestyling and what have you, though I still am a believer in its potential as a semi-lethal weapon. I can type page after page of ranting about that. Lol.

But anyways, Kudos to you Winchester, and thank you for helping me hack away at another part of my unnecessary ignorance.

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

No.

The logical thing to do is work on your awareness, and get to a damn school already if you want to have any clue about martial arts, what you can, could, or would do.

You're not a martial artist. You have zero experience with any weapons ("sparring" with friends without any actual training is not experience), you have zero experience with unarmed techniques or martial arts. You're interested, that's great, but at the moment, you don't know anything. Understand that there are people here who count their training in decades, and you're coming here telling them what's what. Don't do that. Ask questions, sure, but that's the extent of your expertise. Seek clarification, don't try to inform anyone about anything.

Oh, and nunchaku are pretty damn useless. And I'm saying that having trained with them back in my karate days.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Agreed. Their only real advantage is that they're concealable. Other than that they're a bad idea. There's a reason flexible striking weapons aren't prevalent. What you get from nunchaku can be better served by other weapons which fulfill the same function.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Just do yourself a favor and leave the nunchakus at home. If your attacked, they won't help, and if you aren't, your that weird guy who carries nunchakus everywhere. Not a chick magnet :) I'm not exactly an expert on picking up girls but I imagine others will agree with me on that one.

5. Grass hopper

I am consistently impressed by your ability to admit when your wrong. Too bad you aren't coming to my dojo, you'd be a good student!

6. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I must inform you that you put all that a bit too bluntly for me to openly and comfortably agree with you, but at the same time you're totally correct.

Thank you fir the compliment, and if your dojo was readily available to me I would surely come.

7. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Yes, it was blunt, but it was for a reason. I've watched you on the forums, and everything you've said has come from movies. Your only reference is actors, most commonly Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. You haven't even entered a dojo yet. However you've managed to gain such concrete beliefs about martial arts, weaponry, philosophy, what works, what is good or bad, what is effective, and so on, based on absolutely nothing, that the gentler approach of others simply hasn't gotten through to you. Even when you agree with the words of the experienced members, you try to disagree with them at the same time (see your wording to me, or your answer to Dean above, where you agree with him, but still try to state your [unfounded] belief about the practicality of nunchaku as "a semi-lethal weapon"), which is, psychologically speaking, a way of protecting your ego by attempting to maintain your beliefs in the face of reality.

You've had members here be gentle, and while you have (on the surface) agreed with them, you have continued with the same patterns of taking all your information from movies and putting across your beliefs as valid, or equally valid compared to people who actually do train and have experience in what you're trying to discuss. You've had people try to question you, and that has had no result. So, I've tried being blunt. And yeah, my aim is to offend... in so much as it is to provoke you to examine the way you're presenting yourself, as well as getting you to think about who you're actually discussing things here with. I want you to realize that you're arguing with people who have twice the amount of training time than you've had breathing. I want you to realize that there is no real basis for anything you believe. I want you to realize that interest is great, welcomed and encouraged, but you're not showing that... you're showing a desire to live a fantasy. Now, most start out that way... but you're stuck there. I really do recommend taking some time to examine what you really do know about martial arts (here's a hint: it's nothing), and look at what this site can really offer you. I mean, really, you don't even know what sai are like, as you've only got the movie version to refer to (which is not an accurate version... they aren't really pointed, they aren't knives, there's no blade, they aren't thrown, in fact, they aren't used anything like anything I've seen in any movie. You thanked TeamNemesisBath for their description of sai, and almost everything they wrote was just plain wrong. You tell us that you have no experience, you're a "no belt", you "know nothing", but are still telling us how practical and effective nunchaku are! Can you see how that comes across?

Ask questions. Seek clarification. Don't continually reference movies, you look bad by doing that. Don't tell us what is good, bad, practical, or anything, you really don't have any idea. And get to a damn school. The sooner the better, as you'll quickly see that the movies are nothing like reality.

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ok, please enlighten me as to where I went wrong

9. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

While I agree with pretty much everything Chris said, the pedant in me can't help but point out that in some traditions of Okinawan kobudo, one of the sai is thrown at the leg/foot in the kata Nicho Sai.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIITBj6hc7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIITBj6hc7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

See from around 3:30 onwards

10. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Not being a wise guy or anything, but I don't assume you'd start taking martial arts lessons during the christmas season, when everything is busy, hectic, and time-consuming.

But as soon as christmas is over, I will start studying martial arts as soon as possible, in fact I wish I was taking lessons right now.

Also, TBH I think I'm talking more than I'm inquiring and listening, which is most likely bad as far as you've expressed. (I'm not going to directly say it IS bad, for fear of assuming to really know anything.)

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yoooooo NotaMa! Can you drive?

12. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

No. But I really wish I had my license, because if I did I would surely be at the Dojo right now getting actual experience rather than being here.

TBH I think a lot of my problem here comes from being overly eager and being way too desperate to learn MA. I'd even call it an obsession. By the time I start taking lessons for Karate I will have likely ruined myself with too many MA movies and baseless and ineffective combat experiments. :/

TBH I don't really accurately know what the problem is here, those are just theories. If anyone knows the problem here, it's all of you.

13. Grass hopper

Notama, don't worry so much. Most here don't think your an idiot, just eager and new. One of the keys to martial arts is to be able to relax and just learn. You'll do fine, just give yourself time and a bit of slack.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Another tip is ask "why is it..." And leave it there ; when you add "I think ..." About a topic you have little to no experience of it is a bit niggling

That said questions are always good and you do at least have an open mind :)

15. Grass hopper

Hannibal is right. Nobody will hold it against you if you ask a question, even if its dumb.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nah, a lot of us started out wanting to be a guest star on the Ninja Turtles. At least one of us did. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just chill out and slow your roll.

17. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Thank you for that input, I'll try to take your advice. I guess I'm just a bit TOO eager.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with that first bit Hannibal. I believe that is the main reason I'm making myself look like a total Pillock. I'm talking too much and not asking and listening enough.

And yes, I consider myself very open-minded, if not a bit TOO open-minded in the way that I am sometimes a bit too accepting of another person's opinion.

I never said they would hold it against me, I just really don't want to look like more of a moron than I have to.

Like Hannibal said, I'm taking a topic I have little to no experience in and biasing opinions and theories off of what I've seen in movies.

If that doesn't scream "Moron" I have no clue what does.

If there's one thing I've learned about myself is that if I try to slow my roll down, the person in the passenger seat usually ends up flying out of his seat and through the windshield.

There is no slowing down for me, either I'm going or slamming on the brakes. I need to improve upon that. :/

18. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei.

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

OK, let me test my GCSE German:
    Everything has an end, only the sausage has two?

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Correct - it's an old German saying. And like amny od sayings it's rubbish - work today is neverending!