Regaining Motivation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Illonos, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

hi, i've been training TKD for 3 years, having too use the bus two hours each back and fourth, and then some waiting at the do-jang before i could start training. then it suddenly all came to an end, and i lost the motivation i had for training. mainly becouse of all the traveling, but an un-inspiring instructor also helpt the desicion, no i want to start training again, og start something else, but i just can't find the motivasion anymore. any sugestions to what i should do too get my motivation back?

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I could set some Ninja's on you. :p

Maybe you should consider why you where trainning in MA in the first place? What did you want from it? Why do you want to do it now?

3. Illonos

hmm

i want too train, and get in shape, but i also want some mental training, which i did not get all that much of in the old club. and i want too learn too defend myself, ofcourse

4. Slindsay

Well maybe you should have a loor around for different clubs in your area, see what styles there are then come back and ask what people think of the different clubs and the chances you will get what you want from them.

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thats the best thing to do. Find a club you want to train at and you'll find motivation!

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If part of the reason for your loss of interest in your training was the time and distance you had to travel to your class, then you should try to find a class that is nearer to you and easier to get to. So as mentioned above have a look locally at what classes are available and try several out to find what suits you the best.

7. Illonos

then that is what i'l do. in fact, the only alternative is wtf taekwondo, and i've not heard all that much good things about wtf, any comments?

8. Slindsay

It can be good but in my experience with about 10 instructors over 4 different dojo's I only found one that was, for me, good. All the ters taught stuff I didn't care for really.

Having said that everyone else here seems to love their TKD by and the large so I could have found a crop of bad instructors, try it out and see what they say. Incidentally, are you sure you dont have any more schools near you? Have you tried google eart yet and the yellow pages?

9. Illonos

i've been looking around, and i found nothing else... but i guess i'l check it out

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There simply HAS to be something else closer than 2 hours away, unless you live miles out in the country 2 hours away from any big cities!

11. Soni

Soni Valued Member

On the subject of uninspiring instructors, i can tell you a little story - i'll keep it as short as possible.

I don't mean this to sound disrespectfull to anybody, so please don't take it that way. :)

My first club was my most enjoyable. The instructor was about 55-60 years old, had only been a black belt for about 3 years, and i don't think he started training until about 50 ish. Anyway, no disrespect to him, but he wasn't exactly a roll model for anybody, but he had lots of special qualities that a lot of other instructors i've met since haven't had. First and foremost he cared for his students, each and every one of them, and showed us all a high level of respect - and we returned the gesture. He was like a father figure to us all (i was at school at the time and only about 14 yearls old), he would have these pet names for us all, some didn't really fit and we didn't really know where he got them from, but it all added to the fun and relaxed atmosphere that kept us returning twice a week - and i was there for 5 years until the club eventually closed. He ran the club because he enjoyed doing it and not to get rich quick. He charged us £1.50 for a one and a half hour lesson (this was about 15 years ago now but was still a good price even then - other places were double this) and on Fridays we started at 7.00, and went through till 8.30, then he would let the ones stay on that wanted to until 10.00 and he would put a kick bag up and it would be a very informal type of get to gether/training session. The club wasn't professional by any means, for example when you felt like you were ready to grade, you went to see him at the beginning of the lesson, and he would take you towards the back of the class whilst somebody else took the lesson, and grade you in about 15 minutes. You would then be given your belt during the next lesson, and i don't think ANYBODY ever failed a grade!

Anyway, as i said this was one of the best clubs i have ever been to, and i miss it greatly. Although he couldn't stretch, he couldn't really kick either, the highest he could kick was about knee level (and no i'm not exagerating when i say this - ushiro geri was at his knee level), but despite all this, i managed to achieve the side splits in about 2 1/2 years, and then full front box splits in about 5 years and I can kick well above my head height. So, it just shows that you don't necessarily need to have the best martial arts instuctor around, and he doesn't have to be capable of Jackie Chan/Jean Claude techniques in order to motivate you, and you can achieve a good technical ability regardless of what your instructor is capable of. So long as you respect each other, your willing to listen and work hard, and arn't looking for a quick fix, or to be like Bruce Lee in 6 months time, you'll achieve a good level of technical ability.

My motivator was and still is to this present day, Jean Frenette. I've trained with this guy at Wanstead Lesuire Centre - a 1 day seminar, and also for 1 week in Valdisere in the French Alps. Whenever i stretch, i have a folder in front of me with cut outs of him stretching & kicking. I've also got training videos of him stretching and kicking, and i'll also sometimes play them whilst i'm stetching. I think you need somewhere to aim for in training - whether its to be able to protect yourself - maybe your being bulied, somebody you would like to be like - or something you want to achieve - as without either of these - there's no reason to train. Whoops, this is getting a little long, i'll close :D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  12. Illonos

wow, thanks for the long answer! :D :D
    my teacher didn't care to much i think. he just did his job. your first instructor must really have been something special, that is the rolemodel of every instructor i think, i've just not had such kind of luck, yet... i'm 17, so much of my life still remains to get good experiences.
    in fact; i live about 2 hours of driving form any major city. so nothing else available. :cry:

13. Soni

Soni Valued Member

What are your reasons for wanting to train? Do you crave to be a good martial artist with outstanding technical ability, or is it more of a social/excercise reason?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  14. Illonos

i want too grasp the essence of martial arts... i want too train for the sake of spiritual growth... secundary, i want to be strong and flexible.

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if you're not satisified with the quality of the instruction at that club, change the club. i think it's as simple as that. why would you want to give money for something you don't enjoy and having to travel that long too?!

P.S. may i ask you where in europe you are?

16. Illonos

in the middle of norway...

17. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Hi ya mr Illonos . My brother-in-law once worked in Norway, and yep there is probaly nothing around.

My advice is to move to a more populated country, sorry mate! He He :D

From what you are saying it sound like you would benifite from a more traditional approach, from a complete system like Budo. Generally most Budo train in karate type activities, Jujitsu type activities, weapon type activities, some form of meditation can be on offer, and also they provide a well rounded martial art, with plenty of physical and mentally stimulating training sessions. Inside and outside.

I hope you find your way forward along the path from Norway.