Reflection of my First comp yesterday

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Frey86, May 11, 2014.

1. Frey86

Frey86 New Member

Hi guys,

Fought my first comp yesterday and lost every match. I can't begin to tell you how I felt because I honestly don't know how to a accurately explain my feelings.

I weighed in at 118.7 kg. There were two other guys in the +100 category. I entered both fights feeling no nerves. I found this strange as I expected to have butterflies/ stomach churning feeling prior but these never came. Is this normal? Why didn't I feel anything.

The fights themselves felt ok, I never felt overpowered and felt my grip fights was good. Unfortunately the good stuff ended there and once is stepped on to the mat, my mind went blank and all the technique I'd practiced seemed to had deleted itself from my mind. One positive that I took away from
    The even was my fitness. In comparison to my opponents, i felt miles ahead with my fitness. It was just the silly mistakes I'd made that had let me down and lost me the two matched.

Upon reflection I realise that it's my first competition and that I'm only a yellow belt . I've played rugby all my life, and been able to deal
    With defeat in the team environment very easily. In judo however, one is on his own, and feeling of losing is all on my shoulders. If yesterday's events taught me anything it's that judo definitely teaches you how to lose.

My challenge now is to get back into the dojo and gym. I'm
    Going to train my heart out for the next five weeks improve in my mistakes and attempt to improve before the Welsh closed competition on June 7th.

Has anyone had similar experiences and what did you do to improve?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You need to do three things: Randori. Randori. Randori.

3. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Fighting is the most competitive thing you can do.
    If there is a fight at a rugby game.. Most people will stop watching rugby and watch the fight, as lame as it may be lol.
    Keep at it man you'll get one soon

4. Frey86

Frey86 New Member

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

5. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Did any one film your matches, you can learn alot by reviewing it especially with your instructor? What throws did you attempt? How did they fair? Also what throws did your opponent's score with?

6. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Don't be so hard on yourself man, you're a yellow belt and it's your first comp. Keep training hard, and keep trying lots of new things in randori. Until you've been training a few years and have made some techniques and combinations your own, competition is going to be a bit of a crap shoot. Use your first comps to learn the mental side of it, while you wait for the physical side to catch up.

7. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hey man,

I had my first comp on Sunday and lost as well. Won my first session by a distance then lost my second - don't know how i lost but i did. My goal now is to get myself down to 74kg for the Chang Un cup. Make a similair goal and don't think too much on what happened but i know how your feeling.

Baza

8. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

I know this forum is Judo but was my first TKD comp two weeks ago and I became distracted during my pattern and ended up making up the 2nd half :) Then I lost my first and only sparring match 8-4. Anyway, I'd say don't worry about it and next time we do competitions we'll know how to do better. It's better to enter and lose than not enter at all isn't it?

9. Frey86

Frey86 New Member

Your right man. I'm training my heart out at the moment. The whole competition loss threw me a mental curve ball of which learnt me very valuable lesions. I'll continue to train my heart out and improve each time.