Red Zone RBSD opinions?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Thompsons, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

A very close relative of mine is taking interest in the knife defence segments of Red Zones curriculum(looking at the video instructions, then training with a partner) Anyone that have any thoughts on their approach? I seem to like the idea of what looks like them having almost total focus on the arm holding the weapon and from what i could spot they do have segments where they train with shock knives.

I have had the unfortune of being stabbed while young but my selfdefence knowledge is limited to training in the 1990`s mostly.

Ofcourse i take this very seriously, this is a close relative taking up stuff that is dead serious and i have just seen so much bogus concerning the topic in general.

Anyone in here with expereinces of this kind outside the training room that can evaluate a bit on Red Zones approach and share what you think of it? I was thinking of Law Enforcement or Bouncers primarily....your input much appreciated.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's got a gimmicky name so I am immediately on alert. Do you have a link or video?

3. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNjFlfIQXI"]Red Zone Knife Defense - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
  4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Some questionable uke/feeder intent and some holes in the pressure testing from what I've seen.

I generally like the two on one as a concept for surviving a knife though.

I get the impression that if you tested this material with a partner at full intent it'd fall apart.

Might try die less often by dog bros or STAB by sbgi as alternatives to explore?

5. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

STAB- Karl Tanswell right? Looks a little similar i think?

I am caught in between two kinds of thoughts:
    1) i dont want in any way to encourage fighting someone with a knife
    2) you cant always just run

6. Knee Rider

Both focus on the two on one. I think STAB does it better. Also works from the supposition that the knife is already going in and out of you so avoids a) the glamour of knife defence b) some of the more suspect elements of red zone regarding how the attacker behaves and how distsnce is closed. I think STABs controls seem better and have heard of people breaking their thumbs in redzones primary baseball bat grip control in training.

Die less often by dog bros is very highly spoken of and seems to include an excellent mindset regarding the two key ideological points you raised. Worth a look I would say.

7. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

Thanks Mate, i will look into both and pass it on.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If my memory serves me right jerry the guy who set up redzone is a former straightblast gym guy and trained with karl and the STAB guys, his programme comes from that, he is also a hauter brown belt, used to be Rodney Kings USA rep for crazy moneky, and an instructor under vunak, so the stuff should be fairly good
    I like the STAB programme, but getting hold of it is difficult I believe

9. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

Yes, thats another thing. Availability. I may be too critical but i just dont see the average local SD school addressing this with realism. Too much stuff is about looking good, unfortunately deluding people in the process - on a very serious matter.

I can understand why some turn to instructional videos and tries out stuff for themselves.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Here's a video from Red Zone that has a couple of salient points, I feel.

1: They say themselves that the video material is better than nothing, but you should be learning from a certified instructor.

2: When showing all the things that people get wrong, all I can think is that no matter how well trained you get in this, those things are still possibilities in a real adrenaline-fuelled situation. I know that transitioning from 2-on-1 to a pin is very popular right now, but I don't get the logic of training a single response that is predicated on bringing a blade across your centre line. It looks like good fodder for the seminar circuit, and a quick way to get a licensed instructor pyramid scheme going.

Having said that, it still looks better than 99% of the knife defence out there.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iT6kCK-PVw"]Red Zone Knife Defense - you're doing it wrong 1 - YouTube[/ame]

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I have yet to see a knife defense video that doesn't leave me thinking that I will wind up dead in a pool of my own blood with my last thoughts being "Shoot, I probably should have moved his arm left instead of right, what was I THINKING, geez!"

12. David Harrison

That's why I'm not a fan of any kind of transitioning where you bring the blade across your body.

13. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

I am not really qualified to comment on the technicalities of things, i was hoping some LE guys or bouncers could valuate also the context and training setups in those videos, does it look "habitual" in any way, does it correspond with the scenarios they have seen outthere in their proffessions?

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Karl tanswell would probably agree with you which is why he came up with STAB after his little incident...
    its not the holy grail but with weapons I tend to go with the guys that have been there done that bled out on the streets then come up with a different approach because what they and most people were doing was rubbish.

Having said that im like you, most of this stuff even if done right gets you cut and hurt so what's the point training it unless getting knifed is a high percentage risk of your job or your lifestyle, and if it is and you can't change your lifestyle or job, go learn how to use and deploy a weapon of your own

15. Knee Rider

I fully agree.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is what most people miss when they come up with these things - the empty hand components from weapon systems are for when you lose your own weapon and are legitimate "last ditch" options. Against a weapon the best response - after fleeing - is another weapon....it's one reason RBSD systems get my goat so much, because the amount of false security they pass on is breathtaking, and so much of the what they teach is utter crap

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Which is one reason I like karls STAB, he doesn't pretend it's anything other than a last resort, often after you have already been stabbed lol
    and he knows first hand what happens when you are on the wrong end of 1, or 3 or 4 knifes. I see allot of this stuff and I wonder if any of them have ever really faced a knife, I readily admit I haven't and even I can see your best bet is a longer weapon or your own sharp pointy thing

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have - it isn't fun

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Typical stabbing type attacks will be aiming to be on your centreline??? Transition to an outside 2-on-1 clears you centreline.

20. David Harrison

It's the bringing it right across again after you've cleared it once, as in the Red Zone videos, that I was talking about.