Recovering

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Aegis, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well, I didn't exactly make this common knowledge before it happened, but I know that a few people are now aware that I had an operation recently. It's possible that a few other members might have noticed that I was gone for a couple of weeks, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. In any case, I thought I'd tell the whole story and celebrate a little that things are getting back to normal.

Anyway.

When I was about 8, I developed a lung condition. The how and why is still something of a mystery, but this condition persisted throughout most of the rest of my life to date, affecting me more at some times, less at others, but always there. I was misdiagnosed as asthmatic for many years and took the inhalers with no effect. Naturally this had quite a profound effect on my ability to play sports and even take part in martial arts training.

In more recent years I learned that my condition was actually something called chronic bronchiectasis. I might be a little hazy on the details, but essentially this condition meant that a part of my lungs was pretty much useless. Worse than that, it also acted as a sump for infections, causing all sorts of secondary symptoms. Because this was a stagnant region, antibiotics and the like were next to useless at actually stopping the infections, instead just suppressing some of the symptoms.

All in all, not great.

For those of you not aware, the lungs are divided into 5 "lobes": the upper and lower on each side, then a middle lobe on the right side (taking up the space used by the heart on the left hand side). This problem was more or less confined to my right middle lobe, and as a result, I took the decision to have that part removed in an operation this month.

I went in for surgery on the 9th of January and was released from hospital following open-chest surgery approximately 1 week later.

Since then I've been gradually getting better and better. My last drainage tube was removed this Monday, which allows me to exercise more vigorously than last week, and my consultant has told me that any form of exercise should now be ok to try again, even if it hurts! Needless to say, I won't be going back to jujutsu any time soon, but it's nice to know that I could without causing myself too much additional harm.

Plenty to celebrate about I think!

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Sounds like quite a major op. Glad to hear you've come through it in once piece, and here's to you making a full recovery. :)

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Glad you're all fixed and on the right side of it. Good luck with the recovery. :)

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Good to hear you're on the mend Aegis!

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

best of luck on the return track, aegis. glad to hear you got through ok.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

best of luck to you Aegis on your road to recovery
    you got to walk in order to run so take it slow and sure enough you'll be back :)

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

nice one mate! here's hoping you have a speedy recovery, and fewer problems in the future!

8. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

Congrats and good luck for a speedy recovery.

9. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Welcome home, bro!!!

And best wishes for speedy and continued FULL recovery!

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nice one on making it through the op mara.

Good luck for the recovery too, and dont go too mad trying to get back to training :)

11. Hippolyta

Hippolyta Meet coordinator Supporter

Worrying how much about this I now know and understand! :rolleyes:

You know how pleased I am for you that you're so much better, and how impressed with how quickly you're recovering, but I thought it was worth saying again.

And of course, I'm thrilled the drain's out! :D

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Aegis, wishing you a full recovery. Be positive and be patient :Angel:

Hope you have lots of support from your friends/family :cool:

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Cheers Ian :)

14. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Get better soon Aegis! I am well acquainted with chronic Bronchiectasis. My wife would get Bronchaitis, 3 or 4 times each winter. To the point where her lower lobes were starting to form scare tissue. Like you, poor initial diagnosis caused most of the issues. That, and she smokes (ewwwwwww), did not help. Fortunately, she has no lasting issues since getting a handle on it. Hope that you will be back in full swing soon! Take your time with it, especially the with the rehab. Really work the lung/breath exercises they give you.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

WOW! :eek:
    Welcome back bro!

Sorry to hear that it had to go the route of surgery. Never a fun option.
    But I'm glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery and should be better than you've been in a long time. I'm sure you're looking forward to living life in a much less inhibited way now that you'll have improved lung capacity and less chance of all the complications that came with that condition.

Glad it all worked out!
    Again, welcome back! :)