Reconnoiter's winter log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by reconnoiter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sylverstorm

Sylverstorm Valued Member

A few exercises for abs you could check out are:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE"]Plank & side plank[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewviZvEj5Y"]Renegade rows[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw3RyyARhBQ"]Hanging knee raises[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0-uVMGCSM"]L-sit progression[/ame]

2. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

Thanks for those Sylver! Will experiment with them and see which ones to use for training, or alternate with them.

Should have an 8 week training program done by the end of this week, it will have a running program and a workout plan alongside with my Karate training and education. Will see how this goes.

3. reconnoiter

Got a pretty bad stomach ache yesterday...

Anyways, was able to do a little 30 minute sweat breaker today, didn't go to karate practice during the day because my stomach was still acting up in the morning, eased up for the evening.

Single handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg KB)
    Double handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg KB)
    Double shoulder swing: 2x15 (2x7.5kg KB)
    Back Row 3x30 (2x7.5kg KB)
    Lunge & Twist: 3x15 (7.5kg KB)
    Shoulder Press: 3x20 (2x8kg)
    Tough Squat: 3x20 (7.5kg KB)
    Plank: 3x45 seconds
    Side planks: 1x45sec, 2x30sec (on each arm)
    Chin ups: 2x6, 1x3

Should go and buy some Dumbbells tomorrow, will see what I find.

4. reconnoiter

Went for a really easy jog today with a friend today, did 6km in 35 minutes. Was a pace where we could both easily talk, felt good after it. :)

5. reconnoiter

Went running today, did a nice 5.1km in 26min and 45 seconds, which I consider a pretty good pace, since I kept up a speed where I was comfortable and didn't have to walk at all, kept on running on a constant pace. This was a very good improvement in my opinion, since I usually have to walk at least once for a few hundred meters to catch my breath!

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Congratulations on the improvement!!

7. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

good going, especially considering the time of the year. Slippery roads and all that.
    Keep it up!

8. reconnoiter

Today's workout:

Single handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg KB)
    Double handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg KB)
    Double shoulder swing: 3x15 (2x7.5kg KB)
    Back Row 3x30 (2x7.5kg KB)
    Lunge & Twist: 3x15 (7.5kg KB)
    Shoulder Press: 3x20 (2x8kg)
    Tough Squat: 3x20 (7.5kg KB)
    Plank: 3x50 seconds
    Side planks: 1x45sec, 1x40sec, 1x35sec (on each arm)
    Chin ups: 1x7, 1x6, 1x5

And a 10minute stretching session to top the week off! :)

Tracked my eating for a few days, noticed that I'm not receiving enough protein! What kinds of foods contain higher amounts of protein, preferably with low quantities of fat?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. reconnoiter

Had a 1 hour and 30 minute karate practice today, we concentrated on something called "touch punch", which is basically "punching from a reflex", where you first swing one arm forward, and as soon as it touches the practice buddy, hit with the other arm as fast as possible. We also practiced some backwards kicks and punches on impact pillows. Really nice stuff. :D

10. reconnoiter

Another 1 hour and 30 minute training of karate today, we carried on the touch punch idea, and progressed to a backwards kick. Broke sweat really nicely, about 1300kcal burned.. Karate does burn a lot of energy apparently if done at a good pace.

11. reconnoiter

my weeks been a total buster... Haven't been able to train a lot this week. Bothers me..

Anyways, 15.1:

Went to cross country ski with a friend of mine, we did 8.8km + 1.0km of hill climbing = 9.8km of skiing in 47minutes. Quite happy with this result to be honest. Now quite exhausted... My Heart rate monitor shows 850kcal burned and average heart rate to be 172bpm.

Normally when I ski I either go too fast or too slow, and fail to train stamina, but I think this went pretty well, considering we didn't have to do any major stops.

12. reconnoiter

16.1:

The traffic messed up my schedule for the day, and it snowed a ton, so did an hour of snow plowing, didn't have enough time for anything else.

17.1:

Went in the morning to the gym, ran 2.1km on the treadmill at a pace of 14km/h with 3% incline, about 9 minutes, but then I couldn't finish the 15minutes because I started feeling bad. The kind of hard to breathe feeling when you do some kind of exercise when you've got a flu or a small illness, gotta watch it. Then did the following:

3x10 front squats with 40kg weight
    1x10 lunges @ 7kg dumbbells in each hand, 1x10 lunges @ 10kg dumbbells in each hand, and 1x10 lunges @ 12kg dumbbells in each hand.
    Then I did 50 incline sit ups.
    Finished off the practice with a 5 minute stretch session and had to get going as the "public" time ended in the gym.

Today still have 1.5hours of Karate coming up, so I will see how I feel during the training. Hopefully will feel better during the training.

EDIT:

Well, in the end, I took the first 20-30 minutes easy, then noted that I'm feeling quite fine, and decided to do the rest of the training with full energy. Good stuff I must say. We practiced Ushirogeri, the backwards kick, and I now am more acknowledged in it. Learned today, that the support leg is the ironsight or the kick, the heel has to face to opponent or the kick will miss. This was quite valuable to me, since I've had a hard time hitting the target, but I've also missed power from it because I can't trust the kick very well. Our Sempai held the training today, and he also suggested that I can practice the Ushirogeri by switching the roof lamp on and off, it's a small target and if I want to be able to turn the lamp on or off, the kick has to be well aimed, and limited of course... :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. reconnoiter

19.1:

1.5 Hours of karate today, the Ushirogeri is really difficult. We were practicing the touch punch again, and battle stance, my feet are killing me from the battle stance training. Ushirogeri is a real pain in the ****, but it's such a powerful kick that I want to learn it. It's very annoying because I can't get it done properly. Will have to practice this at home on the bag.

Should hit the gym tomorrow afternoon, it has an indoor circuit, so running a cooper again there! :)

14. reconnoiter

20.1:

I remember now why I hate the public gyms... Really crowded, equipment out of place, arrogant and self-centered idiots, etc... Anyways, ran the cooper today again, at a comfortable pace, did it as a warm up, got 2500m on the track, not very exhausted at the end of it. I have to go jog more often to reach my goal about running...

Anyways, after that I did a series of sit ups on an incline bench: 1x20, 1x15, 1x10 @ 45 degree incline, then 3x10 @ 60 degree incline.
    Then some leg exercises, including squats and incline weight crunches. Then did some chin ups and ran another 1km. And some random training stuff. Really difficult to train, as it was very crowded and some muppets didn't let other's use the training equipment while resting, which I got really ****ed off about. Then at the end of the training, I ran 600m with my gear bag (5kg) on the back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  15. reconnoiter

24.1:

Finally got my dumbbells, the weekend was quite hectic, loads of work..

Kettlebell practice:
    Single handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg)
    Double shoulder swing: 3x15 (2x7.5kg)

Dumbbell practice:
    Back Row 3x30 (2x10g)
    Lunge & Twist: 2x15 (12.5kg)
    Shoulder Press: 2x20 (2x10kg)
    Tough Squat: 3x20 (12.5kg)
    Dumbbell pushups: 2x10 (2x5kg)

Plank: 4x45 seconds
    Side planks: 1x45sec, 1x40sec, 1x35sec (on each arm)
    Chin ups: 1x8, 1x7, 1x6

Phew... A lot heavier of an exercise than before.

I've also started to practice one leg squats, I'm currently practicing these through uneven squats, which is that one leg is resting on a basketball, while i push up with the other leg.
    5 times on each leg. My goal is to be able to do a series of one-leg squats at one point with this practice. :)

I'ts -16C here now, so running will have to go indoors, which will limit the amount of running I can do, as I always have to travel to the gym, but I'm going to attempt to run as much as possible.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Keep going, you're doing great :D

17. reconnoiter

Thanks, I realized this kind of a log is very useful, since I can actually see as well that I can do longer reps with a bit more stress than earlier! Didn't think these logs would be this useful! :)

25.1:

Jogged 7.5km in 47minutes, first time running in very cold weather, -18C outside. It wasn't that bad, the first 5 minutes were kind of chilly, but after I warmed up, it was quite easy, had to make sure to keep a pace where I won't have to walk, since then it would be very easy to catch a cold.

18. reconnoiter

26.1:

Had an hour of Shukokai karate practice today, practiced some kumite stance and movement today along with some punch practice. There's a Finnish championship competition in Kumite and Kata coming up soon, I was hoping it would be a bit closer to my city, but it turned up being a total of 1100km to the location and back to my city... This seems a bit too much to drive on a car for 2 days of competition, so it looks like I'll be passing it this year. :/

19. reconnoiter

27.1:

Went to the gym with Sh31kk1, we did various of sprinting practices, he's helping me out with running practices. Also did 3x8 chin ups, 2x15 squats with 20kg weight and ran an additional 2000m. Good stuff. I should go and run my cooper there soon again.

28th was resting.

29.1:

Had to do a quick practice, not as long as I'd hoped it to be thought...

Kettlebell practice:
    Single handed shoulder swing: 2x30 (7.5kg)
    Double shoulder swing: 2x15 (2x7.5kg)

Dumbbell practice:
    Back Row 3x30 (2x10g)
    Shoulder Press: 2x20 (2x10kg)
    Lunge & Twist: 2x15 (12.5kg)
    Tough Squat: 2x20 (12.5kg)
    Dumbbell pushups: 2x10 (2x5kg)

Plank: 3x45 seconds
    Side planks: 1x45sec, 1x40sec (on each arm)
    Chin ups: 1x8, 1x7, 1x6

And then some stretching for 10 minutes. I was planning on going running, but it got -22C here today, so I thought that I'd rather spend my 30 minutes inside. Weather 1, Reconnoiter 0. :D

20. reconnoiter

Haven't updated in a while. The flu got my last week, so I wasn't able to train all the time...

Anyways:

2.2:

Had an hour of karate practice, had gotten better from the flu so I decided to go. We did some fight stance movement, worked the legs really nicely. Felt really great, I managed to get a clear hit against one of our Sempai's, he didn't manage to block it, so I guess I'm doing some progress in Karate or then it was a fluke! hahaa... Then I twisted my toe really badly, couldn't train for the last few minutes, and by the time I got home, the whole toe had swollen up. Lost feelings from it on the next day.

Throughout the weekend though, it got a little by little better, and I could already hit practice on monday!

6.2:

1.5 hours of karate practice. I'm really struggling with the backwards kick, I can't get constant hits, and my kicks aren't accurate nor strong. Got a bit of advice for it, going to practice it a bit on my free time to try and make it better.

7.2:
    Today I went running. I ran for 40 minutes by interval running, didn't realize it would be so exhausting. I ran around 8km in this time, and every 6 minutes, I sprinted for 150m, after this, I jogged at a slow pace for 300m. I was so exhausted at the end of the running, that I wasn't able to do my fitness circle. Seems like I should train my interval running a bit more.