Rape Culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im liking that at least the fallout of the shooting tragedy has had some positive effect on the discussion in regards to masculinity

its weird, the kid lived such a privileged life and im pretty sure that sapped his empathy. i do understand his asian-hating was purely self loathing because he needed to find a reason why girls weren't attracted to him and thats what he settled on (rather than him being not very fun to be around).

his whole video speech is just self entitlement.

2. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Removed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. Mangosteen

This is something that is relevant in why "scoring" and "objectifying" is bad and that we should make the discussion ideas of masculinity (change the thoughts of the perpetrators and not the victims).

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/06/elliot-rodger-killing-sexism-20146219411713900.html

4. Mangosteen

removed

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I fail to see how cat-calling and whatnot has anything to do with the raping of women. :confused:

People who actually go ahead and rape other people, there is something wrong with them right? And if there's anything I've learned about people, is that there will always be people where something is wrong with them.

It seems rather pointless to try and tackle things like cat-calling to reduce rape percentages. More like an etiquette thing. Which I'm very pro about. I love etiquette and strongly encourage the people around me to adhere to it. But I strongly doubt it's going to do a thing to the rape percentages.

I must say I'm surprised men are surprised about women being wary of them as potential rapists. What did you expect? We're generally a lot stronger than women and if we actually want to rape them, there's next to nothing they can do about it. And we've been raping women since forever.

Although I thought we were doing pretty well compared to the old days.

I'm quite used to people being wary of me though. Looking like the minority in your country where the natives and that particular minority are seemingly at some sort of awkward war with each other? Yeah, doesn't help that I live in a part of this country where other people who look like me are almost non-existent. And the native people around here keep filling their heads with racist propaganda spouted by our most influential politician. The fact he is so influential is sad in itself. You may have heard of him. Geert Wilders.

Anyway at this point in my life, I feel absolutely no responsibility towards anyone to act in a way that might make them more comfortable when I'm in their vicinity. Naturally, that goes for women too. Nothing I do will truly make them feel at ease anyway, so I usually ignore everyone around me and I couldn't give two flying baloneys if they feel threatened by my presence. That's not my problem nor my responsibility. I'm just going to be myself and not give a crap about what feminists tell me I should or shouldn't do. I know I have good manners and I have better things to do than rape women, or feel responsible in the least for other men raping women.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The guy who wrote that article is such a paternalistic, hypocritical douche.

He's a big brother to his little sisters? He's "in shape" so he can police the private affairs of any woman having an argument in public? Given his opening gambit, surely these distressed damsels he's protecting would just be thinking "oh no, now I'm going to be raped by two men!".

There's no denying that attitudes toward women still require a lot of change, and that applies to women as much as men, but this guy is absolutely not part of the solution. He's a patronising douche with a messiah complex.

7. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

I'm afraid this whole "Rape Culture" thing is going to become a full blown witch hunt vendetta where just about anything can be called "Rape Culture." Here is another example where the term is over and incorrectly used.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesth...her-school-of-slut-shaming-her-jorts?bffbnews

And I recently saw something about a study done where some researchers asked men a bunch of questions and determined that nearly all men are rapists for things that have nothing to do with rape. Rape is a horrific and tragic event and associating anything else with it lessens it's reality.

8. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Femenism is no longer about equality between genders. It is about female superiority. It is about passing unfair laws that hurt men and benefit women. It is about promoting the idea that all men are innately evil and have the potential to rape. The femenists even tried to get a law passed where if you approach a woman in public and try to get her phone number she can get you arrested if she wants to. No not for harassing her when she declines. Just for simply making the approach. If you ask a feminist why are they a feminist since the modern woman has al the rights that a man has, I gurantee she will have a stupid answer. I just can't remember what it is. Something about men objectify women. How so? When they catcall them in the streets. Woman please. I read up a little on feminism on the past, just can't remember what I read, but yeah these modern day femenists are horrible. I have no problem with equal rights between genders btw. But treating men unfairly, to benefit the woman I have a problem with. Nelly the rapper was trying to raise money at a college to get his sister the medical help she needed for her illness. Guess what the evil femenists did. They called the college and told the people not to let him do it, because he made a music video where he swipes a credit card down a woman's butt. The college didn't want problems with the femenists so they cancelled Nellys fundraiser, then his sister died. Now you tell me feminists aren't trashy people. Of course their may be a feminist here and there that's not a total female dog. But for the most part femenists are trash from what I've witnessed from them on the internet. Now many women claim the title feminist, because they think it just means equal rights between men and women. I have no problem with that. But they are not real femenists. When you are dealing with a real hardcore feminist, you are dealing with a demon.

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Wow, dude you need to relax. I think you should talk to feminists and actually engage with them and especially remember that just because certain members of a group act some way does not mean you should tar and feather the whole flock. Speaking of flocks, you're Christian right? Now there's a group with some objectionable members as well.

Women are objectified in a number of ways within our culture. Hell, sometimes literally:

[​IMG]

She's literally become a bottle of beer that you buy and consume. You've cited Nelly, who swipes a credit card through a woman's butt in a music video - how is that not treating a woman as an object to be bought? I think saying that our culture does not condone the viewing of women as objects is… well I think it's just sticking your head in the sand. Onwards and upwards.

You've gotten your story wrong.

1) Nelly was not looking for money, he was looking for women to sign up to be bone marrow donors. He literally wanted the flesh from out of their bones.

2) The women did not call the college, they were students within an all women's college who found his use of women in videos to be insulting.

3) They did not want to ban his attendance, they wanted him to sit down with ten students (who had registered to be bone marrow donors) and have a conversation about hip hop's depiction of women in videos and music.

4) The college did not cancel his performance, he cancelled it claiming that the women should not be concerned about his videos and that it was insulting to ask him to have a conversation with them.

5) After he decided that he would not perform, the students organized a bone marrow registry drive anyway. Nelly, meanwhile, said of the Spelman student's that he was robbed and he probably should have kicked someone's… well, [situation] if we're to obey TOS.

So, from my perspective, Nelly was really at fault here and acted like a profound cad. First, yeah, depicting women as something that you ring up using their buttocks is pretty problematic and it occurs in an industry that has a long history of problematic depictions of women. I love hip hop, really, really love it, but I mean, c'mon, spade's a spade. Nelly's reaction to the Spelman women seems to show that this perception of women is not confined to his show biz persona; he felt so entitled to the literal meat from their bones that he should not even suffer through a conversation with women who were pledging to go through surgery. And then, when that's made problematic, he threatens… who exactly with violence? Who's [situation] does he think he should have kicked? The students? The faculty?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The irony is that so many men are shrugging off the accusations in that article whilst simultaneously committing the offences they are being accused of.

11. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Pffffft. They need feminism in places where its lawful for men to beat their wives, where women aren't allowd to work. Where women have to cover their whole face or be punished. Here in America feminism is a fake useless cause. So what nelly swiped a credit card down a womans nether regions in a music video. It's a free country. Like prostitutes don't exist and only exist in rap videos. Modern American femenists are only concerned with getting the upperhand in everything over men. They complain that men objectify women, like we can help it if were visual creatures, but they just recently had a twitter hashtag where they all took pictures of themselves sticking their asses out. Objectifying themselves, thinking this empowers women. Every true to the bone feminist I've seen is a highly unattractive, lesbian, manhater, outcast. Their miserable and they want to make everyone else miserable. lol. If you want to know what I'm talking about, study modern feminism and get an accurate picture of their agenda. I've watched feminist vs man debates had debates with them, and their all the same. They start losing the argument so instead of logically backing up their flawed views, they start trying to shame the man, and insult his manhood. That's all they can do. lol Look up on youtube college debates with femenists. It's pitiful. smh It makes you feel like your at the circus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Trolling? Yeah?

Have to be.

13. David Harrison

14. David Harrison

Depressingly, it's not an uncommon view. Even amongst women :(

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

David,

Decent article, my only problem with it is this:

"15. Sexual assault prevention education programs that focus on women being told to take measures to prevent rape instead of men being told not to rape."

This narks me no end, men know they shouldn't do it but some just don't give a damn just like some don't give a damn about shooting you for your car. Yes there needs to be more education in some circles with regards to consent but that doesn't mean that it is safe and wise to ignore preventative measures with regards to your personal safety.

That goes for any gender and not just for rape.

Such programmes need clear boundaries about what they are addressing and shouldn't mix up personal safety with the social conditioning that takes place on certain parts of society because of the culture's attitudes towards rape.

If that makes sense? It's early.

16. David Harrison

While these things should be taken seriously, can you cure an illness just by treating the symptoms?

There is something larger at work, I feel.

I've been groped in public by women and men, I've had women try to pressure me into sex. Hell, I've even given-in to them a few times for a quiet life.

So what is it that allows these things to happen to me without any dire psychological consequences, or affect my feelings of self-worth or standing in society?

I think the answer lies deeper than gender politics. I think that there is a clear gender bias to it, but to generalise it as a purely women vs. men problem is to not see the wood for the trees, IMHO.

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

What bothers me about these kinds of subjects is that the troubles of men get dismissed and only women have it hard.

It's such crap.

We're of different genders so we have different problems. How about just being a good dude and then to have feminists make you feel bad just for being a man? That's like blaming all women for some of them being gold diggers.

What the hell do people expect to be able do against rape anyway? It boggles my mind that people think anything they do will actually make a difference.

And their idiotic articles only serve to make the good men feel bad about themselves while the intended audiences will never read it or even give two craps about it.

"Women feeling less safe walking the streets at night than men do." Yes, and? If I was weak and feeble, I wouldn't feel safe walking the streets at night either. Is this not one of the primary reasons why men are generally stronger than women? To protect them?

"Supporting athletes who are charged with rape and calling their victims career-destroyers." It's all too common for gold digging women to seduce successful men and then accuse them of rape to get a huge paycheck. People were so convinced Mike Tyson raped that poor girl that he didn't even get a fair trial.

Those 25 everyday examples of rape culture, are all crap. All of them are the result of either stupidity or corporate pressure. Good luck trying to get rid of either of those.

If feminists want men to treat women more respectfully, instill etiquette. Don't treat men like crap for being men.

Men will rape women forever. Get over it.

Yes that sounds incredibly harsh and misogynistic. I'm aware of that. But denying this is denying human nature. I'm just saying it like it is.

And just to clarify, I'm extremely pro-equality. But I'm usually more worried that's not what we're actually striving towards and that we're overdoing it.

I'll be honest about those everyday rape culture examples. It seems like the US has more of a problem with rape culture than we do here in the Netherlands though. Many of those examples I have only seen in the US.

And how about women objectifying men? Happens all the time.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It does sully feminism. I'm aware its not what feminism actually is since I had to study it but most people who.are normal don't take politics a-levels. I was saying that their loudness (vocality? Voculfulness?) has made it that that's what comes to mind first for people. To use your muslim example, no not all muslims are terrorists. You say "terrorist" to most people though and they will think of a muslim.

Actually, I withdraw my earlier point. Radical feminism is still feminism. Its why I don't like feminism as a term: its too loose and has far too many meanings. Its like saying you're an anarchist which reveals very very little about anything other than you don't want government. It means nothing with regard to how you want to remove it and the kind of society you want to replace it. I see a similiar thing with "feminist." You could just want equal pay and split materniy leave, or you could think all en are rapists in waiting working together from their patriarchy superbase to destroy womyn.

19. David Harrison

Nope. Not acceptable to me.

Yeah, I don't have any friends who shout inapproproate things at women, blame women for being raped, or tell rape jokes.

When I was a kid, workmen would shout stuff at passing women. Haven't seen it happen in years thankfully.

Just this weekend I was talking to an American guy who was in a cheerleading squad. He was the only male, and he told me he had never heard men objectify women to the same degree those girls did when talking in confidence.

But, that is no excuse to accept objectification of women. Two wrongs don't make a right, and all that...

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think one of my other problems is that feminism, at least what I'm exposed to of it, has combined too many things. Instead if being just about equality before the law its started attacking a lot more things which are either hypocritical or in my view pointless. Bodyshaming for instance seems to have become a popular topic. As has other social gender things. For instance, I see less stuff about explaining what consent actually is and more stuff explaining that going out on the pull generally makes you a bad person. Ignoring its something done by both sexes.

I've just woken up so I'm unsure exactly where I'm.going with this. I guess I feel feminism has started overstepping its boundaries. Its become less about general equality and has turned into policing behaviour based on personal tastes. But at the same time.it has stayed pro-woman while moving.into these issues that apply across the board. We're not allowed to say that however because its downplaying the female issues. Like bodyshaming I refuse to admit is a women's problem. Itts a societal one. Yet somehow its been adopted as a female only issue by modern feminists.

Sticking with radical feminism, its also condemning other women. To give an anecdotal example, I was reading a fairly popular feminist facebook page and they were discussing whether beauty pageants were misogynistic and degrading. 2 ladies admitted they do them and they feel they're empowering. They were then shouted down and accused of undermining feminism and helping prop up the patriarchal system of exploiting and sexualising the female form.

Its that sort of thing where its moved away from equality for all sexes and has become about policing all behavious deemed unsavoury to that particular person/group. It clashes rather badly with my overruling philosophy of "if you want to do it and its not hurting anyone, have at it."