Rape Culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oops, I thought we were talking about the author D:

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No - I posted the video anyway though

3. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I think thats dangerous, if i was having a verbal argument with my other half and some random baseball cap wearing skater guy (how he appears on his twitter) tried to intervene and get involved, I would tell him (in less polite words) to mind his own business, and if he does not , he would risk me physically removing him from the conversation.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's saying that as a man, he has a responsibility to make sure all other men are behaving themselves in their interactions with women.

I'm not sure that the blatant sexism of assuming that a woman needs a man's help to survive in the world helps much.

5. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Well that's the image that women have to presume for their own safety. If I hook up at a bar, or anywhere else, I can pretty much assume that it's safe for me to go home with this person or let them into my home. Same can't be said for the person I'm with.

If anything the idea that reducing the rate of rape is simply about ensuring that men don't have an opportunity to rape is the truly offensive idea.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

So what about when a man is raped by a woman?

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's a rare exception. Men don't walk around in fear of being raped. Women do. That's the point.

8. robin101

yea but, saying that because some men rape, therefore be warey of all men as a risk of rape, seems a bit wrong to me. Its like saying "some middle eastern people have been suicide bombers, therefore be warey of all middle eastern people as a threat of suicide bombing. Its almost like profiling.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think he really knows what's coming out of his mouth, or what he's writing down with his hands. I bet he got C averages on his essays if he went to college. :p

10. Hannibal

In the UK a man technically cannot be raped by a woman becasue the law states it has to be penetration per anus, mouth or vagina by the penis.

There is an offence of "sexual penetration" which covers assaulst per anus or per vagina with ANY implement (bottle, sex toy etc..).

Outside of that a woman forcibly having sex with a male falls under "Causing Sexual Activity without consent"

The penalty is the same, but the impact of the phrase is not there and the perception is that it is a "lesser" offence - this is comparable to "Theft" and "TWOC"

11. Hannibal

Paradoxically men who ARE raped - by women or more likely by other men - are far less inclined to report in and even less inclined to pursue and active prosecution

The original article is apologetic crap from someone who feels guilty because cosmic chance gave him "meat and two veg"

12. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Well arguably that is precisely the kind of prejudice that is leveled at gay men. "I'm fine with gay men as long as they don't try to have sex with me.... cause I'm not gay you know... I'm straight".

Some men do rape men, absolutely but it's neither statistically close enough for a good comparison nor is it used to control men's behavior so you can't really expect it to be formative in the way men think about other men or women for that matter because the idea of a woman managing to over-power you is a lot less plausible than the reverse.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have to say that that's because it's not you in danger of being raped is it?
    That's your (white male) privilige speaking I think.
    Enough men do rape that a realistic default position for women is to be "wary" in most situations.
    I've honestly had enough of men commenting on rape by saying "men get raped too!" and "it's not all men that rape!". Sure that's true but that's not addressing the issue.
    I'm sad and angry that women have to be wary of men but that anger is directed at the men that rape not feminists or women.

The proportion of women that have had to deal with sexual aggression, and the percentage of men that do actually rape, are vastly different to the same proportion of women that are exposed to suicide bombers or asian men that are suicide bombers.
    Given how common sexual harassment is (which is part of the background of rape culture and women being wary) suicide bombing isn't a valid comparison. Because suicide bombing isn't done every day to many women, excused in countless suicide bomb trials, suicide bomb victims aren't accused of "asking for it" because they were wearing something and suicide bombers aren't protected by a wider culture.

14. robin101

that much is true , bad comparison. Still dont think just being a man, means you are part of the problem though.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the point is that, from a woman's perspective, she has no idea if you are part of the problem or not. It's prudent rto assume you are.
    Even is she gets to know you you may still be part of the problem (seeing how many rapists are known to the victim).

I have a daughter and I won't be telling that it's wrong to think that all men could be a rapist and it hurts the feelings of men that are nice.
    I'll be teaching her to be wary of all men (within reason). It's just the safest default position.

This cartoon sums the difference in potential harm men and women face really well.

[​IMG]

What men face and what women face just doesn't even compare.

16. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

This is my issue with the article (and it's a nit picky one at that, which is of the kind that is often overblown to shut people up but I still take issue with it).

The problem is cultural/systemic.. whatever name you want to give it. For the most part we're complicit in these problems rather than actively guilty of them, guilt is more something that you assign to an individuals actions rather than to their place in a big society wide phenomena.

17. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I didn't read the article but it sounds like more feminazi propaganda. And if you've seen femenists in action, you know exactly how evil they are. smh

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm a feminist and proud of it.
    How people can be against equal rights for women is beyond me.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm a feminist. The issue is that its word that doesn't mean much considering all the different branches and ideas under that banner. Add in all the baggage that the word now carries thanks to tumblr and articles like this one and you have a lot less people who are comfortable using it.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm more of a "humanist". It's pretty much the same thing, but gender doesn't matter.