RaKzaroK's Fitness+FMA Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by RaKzaroK, May 21, 2014.

1. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Hey Lily!
    As far as I'm aware in those 3 lessons and after some talk with the instuctors, I'm doing Nickelstick Eskrima with some (added? Not sure if they're there anyway or not) JKD/Wing Chun concepts(not sure about that anyway :p).

Thanks for the really good info ap!
    Unorthodox stance it is, then!

Oh, and another question, what's your opinion about pocket sticks, have you got any experience with them?

I think in my place (Greece) they are illegal but if I understand correctly, everything is illegal as long as you deal a lot more damage to the attacker/enemy than he does to you.
    In other words, even your fists can be illegal and you can be charged as the attacker if, after you avoid a punch of the real attacker without getting hurt, you hit him with a 1-2-3 combo of any sort and drop his teeth or something really damaging, dunno how things are in different countries?

I've searched the net for those sticks, they mainly have a size of 12-15 cm, too big for a pocket if I understand correctly, but I was thinking that a 8-10 cm stick/anything that sticks out of your fist a little bit and helps you make a harder fist and hit certain places with more force is a really good self-defense tool.

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Look for a a reasonably tough pen, avoid the stupid tactical pens that are being sold these days.

3. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

3-6-2014

Are they really stupid after all, and why -genuine question, not sarcasm-?
    A pen can pierce, I'd rather have something to enhance my fist and make me able to deal blunt damage in a small area as I'm thinking of it.

Tuesday 03/6:

Lower Day 1

Smith Machine Squat/Leg Press (different technique than a usual freeweight squat)
    60 x 8
    70 x 8 x 8 x 8 x 8

Smith Machine Standing Calf Raise
    60 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10

Lying Leg Curls
    25 x 15
    30 x 12 x 12

Back Hyperextensions (a)
    15 x 10
    15 x 12

Roman Chair Leg Raise (b)

Decline Situps
    (c)

(a)(b)(c): Circuit

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

If pocket sticks are illegal and you are trying to avoid the appearance of carrying a weapon, then carrying an item sold as a pen, but clearly designed to be a weapon first being twice as thick as a normal pen and given all kinds of traction mods like aggressive knurling particularly if the manufacturers name written on the side like "Smith & Wesson", "Uzi", or "Gerber" it probably won't get you very far.

The other standard option for a pocket stick is a small flashlight, and while there are lots of expensive and again "tactical" lights out there, a inexpensive standby is the mini maglite. My understanding is that the designer was a student of Ted Kubota who popularized the "kubaton" which is just another kind of pocket stick.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries Rak.

Not a ton, honestly. But if you're looking for one of Filipino origin, look for "dulo dulo." They're pretty easy to find made from Filipino hardwoods such as bahi or kamagong. Though traditionally it would actually be made from caribou horn.

Dulo dulo highlight that idea of transferability between weapons. In terms of range and method of damage, you're empty handed. So it will most closely resemble mano mano/pangamot (empty hand).

None of that speaks to the legality of the thing though. That's a different matter.

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I kept hold of my old Nokia phone - a disposable projectile as well as a "fist enhancer". Plus you can use it to make calls, texts, calendar, alarm clock and the battery lasts about a month...

Do you really think you need to carry a weapon (obvious or stealthy) around with you for self protection? Isn't awareness, avoidance, de-escalation, a quick slap and a sprint more likely to keep you safe?

If you have a weapon, do you think you can access it under pressure?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't, only that you think about the practicalities :)

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

If you can access a phone in your pocket, you can access another tool. Tools are just options, if you don't have to use them then you don't have to, and if you do need them then they may be available. I use my knife to open boxes every day, I have never had to use it on a person (thankfully!), I have never come close to using it on a person, but if something goes really bad, then it may be an option. I was a Boy Scout, I took that whole "be prepared" motto to heart.